First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply What anime you find didn't match its hype?
3947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The lowest stratum
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18

srlan23 wrote:

Steins;Gate
Don't get me wrong, I liked it. It was pretty entertaining but I don't think it was one of the best anime ever.
What bothered me the most was the science-y part of the story. Of course I don't expect a sci-fi anime to be extremely realistic (it's science fiction), especially not when it's a story about tame travel, but it also shouldn't be distractingly unrealistic.
I personally liked the characters but I have to say I understand everyone who doesn't. They're all based on well-known (and maybe overused) stereotypes and I understand why this might be a problem for some people.




As a theoretical physicist myself, I found this unreasonably satisfying.
13846 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18

auroraloose wrote:

As a theoretical physicist myself, I found this unreasonably satisfying.



72 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18
Cowboy Bebop for me is still incredibly boring and not all that fun to watch. I will say however I like the OST quite a bit and have owned it on several different mediums. So it had one thing going for me and that was it.
335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Loli Village, Lit...
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18
For me personally, Neon Genesis Evangelion.....

can't pass through eps one

yawn
214 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18

HOOfan_1 wrote:

Kill La Kill. The fan service doesn't bother me, but just like FLCL, it seems to be wacky and nonsensical just for thesake of being wacky and nonsensical.


Patently wrong with FLCL and not even a valid comparison. FLCL isn't nonsensical; it's just allegorical with tons of obscure pop culture references. I mean I didn't understand it the first times I saw it, so I eventually got on the internet and asked some questions on a message board. I wish more people would do the same because there are way too many "Show is overrated and has no plot 1/10" reviews on MAL."
4794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18

RedRockRun wrote:


HOOfan_1 wrote:

Kill La Kill. The fan service doesn't bother me, but just like FLCL, it seems to be wacky and nonsensical just for thesake of being wacky and nonsensical.


Patently wrong with FLCL and not even a valid comparison. FLCL isn't nonsensical; it's just allegorical with tons of obscure pop culture references. I mean I didn't understand it the first times I saw it, so I eventually got on the internet and asked some questions on a message board. I wish more people would do the same because there are way too many "Show is overrated and has no plot 1/10" reviews on MAL."


You see, the way opinions work, is that there is no wrong or right.

to me FLCL seemed to be wacky and nonsensical. (notice the strategic use of the qualifier "seem")

It's all well and good that you went out and found a way to make sense of it, but the show isn't worth the effort to me. There's been plenty of media that didn't completely make sense to me at first, but made me interested enough to actually seek out more info. I have to have found something interesting in the show to make me put forth that effort. There was nothing about FLCL that grabbed me enough to want to decode whatever plot the writers put into it.

If you like it that's just fine, but what's the point of expecting everyone else to feel the same way you do?

i don't think anyone can deny that Kill La Kill and FLCL dialed the wackiness meter up to 11.
1859 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18
Hetalia.
People kept telling me how entertaining it really is and I was getting hopeful hearing each episode was only 3-5 min. long so I gave it a shot.

Didn't last trough first episode. So irritated.
3947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The lowest stratum
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18

HOOfan_1 wrote:
You see, the way opinions work, is that there is no wrong or right.

[...]

If you like it that's just fine, but what's the point of expecting everyone else to feel the same way you do?


I'm about to blather a lot, because I feel like what you said warrants a response. Though this is probably more a response to the notion that taste is subjective and everyone has sh*t taste. Basically, I think you're right to an extent, but your last statement is wrong. And you've hit on something I've been thinking about for a while:

First, I don't think you're really talking about opinions; the better word to use would be sentiments, or feelings. We like what we like, but while the space of possible things it's acceptable to like is enormous, there are forces (both environmental and innate) that produce and shape our feelings. Literary criticism is powerful because it analyzes those forces - which determine what art does to us - in addition to what the art itself is like. That makes it possible to talk about what an anime is doing to people independent of whether we like it or not.

From this perspective, it's not entirely consistent to ask whether an anime lived up to its hype: for whether or not I like it is independent of what it did to the other people watching. If it doesn't do the same things to me that it did to other people, that shouldn't be surprising at all - people are different. For them the anime is great; for me it's not. So you're right to say it's okay that FLCL just didn't appeal to you.

But whatever caused the hype objectively exists, and thus can be discovered and analyzed: there's some reason other people liked it and you didn't. And it's that reason we should look at when we consider whether it's good for people to like the anime. Sure, people can like what they want, but that doesn't mean those likes should be encouraged. How we behave affects society, even at the relatively unimportant level of the anime world. This is what makes your last statement wrong. There are things that we as humans believe are good, like the Mona Lisa or Dostoyevsky's novels. We have good reasons to value these much more highly than fingerpainting by kindergarteners or the Twilight series, and while people can like whatever they want to like, those reasons means it's better for them to prefer the Mona Lisa to fingerpainting (and, with apologies to Da Vinci, it's even better for them to prefer Dostoyevsky to Twilight).

I don't really care enough about FLCL to defend it (though I do think it's amazing), and I don't think you're really attacking it, either - you've acknowledged what FLCL does for people. (I think RedRockRun was a little too excited to defend FLCL). But there are good reasons to advocate for (and against) certain anime, as for any art, or really anything at all: these things can make us better or worse people. There are reasons to be worried that people don't appreciate complexity or nuance, so in that sense defending FLCL makes sense. But you're not attacking either of those things in saying you don't like FLCL; you're just saying it struck you as too wild for you to bother with the nuance, and that makes perfect sense. But to me, The Ancient Magus' Bride is really irksome: it's lauded as something deep when it actually possesses no depth. If people like it, fine, but holding it up as representative of something deep and good lowers our standards and crowds out space for things that are truly good. So I don't like what it's doing to people.

Since I love whenever I can bring up Kierkegaard in an anime discussion (the best anime all draw from Kierkegaard), the problem with stopping at the acknowledgment that we can like whatever we like - all our feelings are equal - is that our lives aren't contained entirely in our heads. Only a dilettante critic would come up with the evolution gigguk describes in the video I linked above; he never escapes Kierkegaard's aesthetic stage, in which we look at life's troubles and complexity and decide we're just going to focus on getting the best for ourselves out of it. But what we like and do affects both our lives and the lives of others. With the incredible success of individualism and capitalism, we have a tendency these days to think of ourselves as isolated consumers whose consumption choices are inconsequential and have no effect on us. This just isn't true, and that's why we should care about how people feel about things. Art affects our lives, and bad art can make our lives worse.
74433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18
For me, Future Diary is on the top of the list. Man, that was a tough show to watch largely because just about everybody in this show is unlikable with the worst of them being the MC. This show would have been much better if Minene or Aru was the MC, or if at least Yuki manned up sooner before things got out of hand. Nevertheless, while people seem to rave about this show, I'm not one of them as the characters are the thing I care the most about a show, and here they are a bunch of bastards I shouldn't have to give a damn about.
4794 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18

auroraloose wrote:

"words"

.


The problem is, some people act like the fact that others don't like what they like somehow affects their enjoyment of it.

I think what you are getting at is the difference between people saying "I didn't like this" and people saying "this sucked, and I don't understand why anyone likes it".

When I read the subject "what didn't live up to the hype", I took it to mean, what anime that are considered top tier, did you not care for.

Sure, there's a reason hype exists for certain things, but as RedRockRun pointed out, there are a ton of people who didn't care for the way FLCL presented it's story, and there's a reason for that as well.

If a medium is going to insert obscure references into the story, then the onus is on that story to be interesting enough to imbue the viewer with a desire to learn more about those references. So there's always room for opposing opinions. Are there any works which all literary critics deem to be flawless?

My intention isn't to declare that there should be no debate on popular works, but that the idea that is so common on the internet of "you're wrong, and your opinions on everything suck" isn't productive criticism.
3947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / The lowest stratum
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18

HOOfan_1 wrote:

My intention isn't to declare that there should be no debate on popular works, but that the idea that is so common on the internet of "you're wrong, and your opinions on everything suck" isn't productive criticism.


Sure - I kind of figured, and I agree. Like I said, I mostly wanted to address the notion that, since everyone has "sh*t taste," arguing about taste isn't useful. None of us should begrudge people their enjoyment (or lack thereof) of any anime; the problem is when people export the feelings they experience watching an anime as definitive, crowding out other interpretations and ignoring how those interpretations imply the anime affects people.
4133 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / North America
Offline
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18
Naruto, I got bored with it very quickly
Posted 3/2/18 , edited 3/2/18
watamote.
1116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/13/18 , edited 8/13/18
A few that come to mind at the moment:
One Piece
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Dragon Ball Z
Naruto & Shippuden
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.