First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These Discussion
37172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/24/18 , edited 4/24/18

GotenLoooovesCorn wrote:


Yeah I felt it had something to do with him, the name thing threw me off along with concubines in a futuristic setting. That should be pretty interesting to see unfold in the present time line.


Actual spoiler so don't read if you don't wish to be spoiled.



Bakaneer wrote:

Episode 4

Back and forth this show goes between Reinhard and Yang as after an episode about Reinhard, then Yang on the battlefield, it's an episode about Reinhard's upbringing, and now an episode about Yang's upbringing.


If I recall correctly the original series did the back and forth as well, though I don't think the backstory for the two main characters was done right after the first battle in the series. Granted it doesn't really matter when they do the backstory for the characters and maybe they figured it would help with pacing later which is why they are doing it now.
28762 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 4/24/18 , edited 4/24/18
When I watched original the tough thing for younger version of myself was making a choice of which MC I liked most. The writing and back ground stories are so different but both characters aren't evil. The war has been going on for generations and people have to live a life some how and mover forward common theme in both MCs. No complaints from me on abbreviated story so far great stuff.
47530 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 4/24/18 , edited 5/24/18
The 2018 anime is a insult to the original
2655 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / Seattle-ish
Offline
Posted 4/24/18 , edited 4/24/18
"Ding dong! Orphan calling"
3669 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 4/24/18 , edited 4/24/18
My soap instincts tell me that's a death flag for Jean if I've ever seen one. This time time it was some backstory on the opposing faction and we got to meet yet another set of leaders in the making. I'm enjoying how you can get a strong sense that there are no stock villains in this show. Way too many shows these days use villains as plot devices so it's satisfying seeing a story that flows so naturally. It also makes it very hard to predict where the story will go every episode.

So far there's a lot of time spent on the minor details, I'm getting the feeling I might enjoy a binge for this show. Despite how well we know the characters on the individual level, society at large seems to be a bit of a mystery still. The governments and their citizens seem to be at odds in the futuristic setting, but they've lost their spine and just want to be left alone. Explaining every person's life also seems like a strange format for a show that promises space wars, I wonder how long it will take to get back to that or if it even plays a major role in this story. With soap type writing they really fall flat on the climactic moments, but I'm still hopeful the characters will make us root for them.
1487 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / North America
Offline
Posted 4/24/18 , edited 4/25/18
I would like another 100 episodes of this show. Really good episode with this one and last weeks, got to see Yang and Reinhard's perspective and the conditions that shaped them.
17049 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/24/18 , edited 4/25/18
So Takumi shows up in Wang Yen-Li's life to be his Initial D(ependent). That's what he gets for not drinking Suntory.
xxJing 
42498 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Duckburg
Online
Posted 4/25/18 , edited 4/25/18

scoobydew wrote:

When I watched original the tough thing for younger version of myself was making a choice of which MC I liked most. The writing and back ground stories are so different but both characters aren't evil. The war has been going on for generations and people have to live a life some how and mover forward common theme in both MCs. No complaints from me on abbreviated story so far great stuff.


I had no problem with that. I like Reinhardt better.

You can separate Yang and Reinhardt by two basic ideologies.

1) Yang fights for stability. He is willing to put up with mediocrity and a certain level of corruption, if it means stability.

2) Reinhardt fights for progress, even if there is risk in it falling apart.

When watching the original show, I always viewed Yang as nothing more than a hindrance towards the evolution of the galaxy. The purpose of his character felt like nothing more than Reinhardt's opposition.
61809 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 4/25/18 , edited 4/25/18
(Feels heartening to see fellow old-timers like Bathroom and Cay in this thread.)

The eternal question: Was the remake necessary when the original is so iconic?
Kintor 
23178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/25/18 , edited 4/25/18

rcsatcrunchyroll wrote:

The eternal question: Was the remake necessary when the original is so iconic?

The original OVA are definitely a product of the time, with all the technical limitations in the visuals that entails. What matters is creating a remake with the ambition of the original, to do justice to the fantastic story of the novels and the legacy of the OVA. To that end, I still consider Production I.G to be the best animation studio in the business, if anyone can pull this off it's the house that made Ghost in the Shell.
1106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/26/18 , edited 4/27/18
This series is great, I really can't say enough good about it. The strategies are awesome and very clear and easy to follow while still being engaging, the characters are about as distinct as they should be so far without feeling ungrounded or risking being too similar, the opening battle looks visually great, I'm digging the styles each of these factions have going on, etc.

The one negative I have so far is that Yang's episode felt very flat because the character didn't have too much actually going on with him and the thing that was essentially the climax was a little before the halfway part. At least, it felt like it was. So it's like you watch everything build to this point of Yang becoming respected and then it keeps going and they talk about kids and stuff... which isn't a bad talk, but it feels like it's way too much of a decompression after the 'action', you know? It kind-of became a bit dull to me and the whole thing didn't have enough of an impact to get me into Yang as much as Reinhardt's episode did.

I get that Yang's meant to be Reinhardt's opposite, but it would be great if we could have seen a bit more ambition from him or more of a human element to that character to really help me get behind him more. But that's genuinely a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things and I genuinely feel like as things go on we're going to get more of that ambition and drive in other characters to really give this political game with Reinhardt the kick it needs to really be something interesting.

In fact, I've got a hunch that we'll probably get something like that next episode or at least some progress in that subplot. I can't imagine the next episode being completely about Yang again.... Then again, I feel like he does kind-of need it a bit, so I'd be fine with that as well as long as they give a bit more to his character.
74386 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / Seattle
Online
Posted 5/1/18 , edited 5/1/18
Episode 5

Here comes Julian, and he graduated early as he's determined to become a soldier like his father to repay a debt. In the meantime, Yang refuses to stand and expresses his anti-war views drawing the attention of the Patriotic Knights, especially after Jessica questioned where the Alliance's motivation is after her fiance was KIA'd. He was attacked by a big rig that threatened to crush them. After that attack, Yang is called to serve as the Rear Admiral for the upcoming battle at Iserlohn, all while Trunicht is up to no good. Pretty much, that goes to show that while things are rotten in the Empire, things aren't exactly ideal with the Alliance either, as indicated with Yang protesting and drawing the ire of the Patriotic Knights. He realizes that something is amok, but even so he is still being counted on.
Kintor 
23178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/1/18 , edited 5/1/18
Up until now I've seen plenty of comments online praising the Free Planets Alliance, at least from new viewers. However, with the introduction of Job Trunicht and his merry band of thugs I wonder if people's opinions will start to change?

I mean, nothing says 'thank you for your service' like being assigned a suicide mission; as Yang is ordered to attack the greatest fortress even built by man with half a standard fleet. If Yang wins then Trunicht's political capital also increases and the war continues. If Yang dies then Trunicht has eliminated a potential domestic enemy and further secured his political position that way.
37172 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 5/1/18 , edited 5/1/18

Dethhollow wrote:
I get that Yang's meant to be Reinhardt's opposite, but it would be great if we could have seen a bit more ambition from him or more of a human element to that character to really help me get behind him more. But that's genuinely a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things and I genuinely feel like as things go on we're going to get more of that ambition and drive in other characters to really give this political game with Reinhardt the kick it needs to really be something interesting.


I assume when you say:

I get that Yang's meant to be Reinhardt's opposite, but it would be great if we could have seen a bit more ambition from him...
you are referring to Yang showing ambition to climb in rank in which case. While it has been a while since I watched the original series from what I remember Yang will never show any ambition, outside of getting his pension, because he never wanted to be a soldier in the first place. The only reason he is one is because he had to get federal student aid to go to college and that student aid requires him to be a soldier for a certain period of time after he graduates, think a reverse of the GI Bill.

1106 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 5/1/18 , edited 5/1/18

kourgath wrote:


Dethhollow wrote:
I get that Yang's meant to be Reinhardt's opposite, but it would be great if we could have seen a bit more ambition from him or more of a human element to that character to really help me get behind him more. But that's genuinely a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things and I genuinely feel like as things go on we're going to get more of that ambition and drive in other characters to really give this political game with Reinhardt the kick it needs to really be something interesting.


I assume when you say:

I get that Yang's meant to be Reinhardt's opposite, but it would be great if we could have seen a bit more ambition from him...
you are referring to Yang showing ambition to climb in rank in which case. While it has been a while since I watched the original series from what I remember Yang will never show any ambition, outside of getting his pension, because he never wanted to be a soldier in the first place. The only reason he is one is because he had to get federal student aid to go to college and that student aid requires him to be a soldier for a certain period of time after he graduates, think a reverse of the GI Bill.



Not necessarily just to rise in the ranks, but I just sort-of wanted there to be a bit more of a drive for some goal in Yang's character. But now it's starting to feel more and more like we're not really ever going to get that unless they end up playing up his apprentice/adopted kid later on as something for him to fight more for. But at the same time, after this episode, it doesn't feel as necessary I guess? I still feel like I'm not as into Yang's plot, but adding in the apprentice and his anti-war stance is doing a lot to make the character more interesting because now they're able to play around with more stuff with him because he has something he's able to clearly lose and enemies outside of just the Empire that can add more uncertainty to the plot.

I still think there could be more to this character, but everything so far has still been really well handled and compelling in its own way. I don't think any of the Yang stuff has been badly written at all, but I feel like right now it still feels like the less interesting of the two plots and now that we've seen more of Yang's side, I kind-of do hope they get back to Reinhardt soon because I want to see what's up with him trying to control the empire and what the deal with that artificial eyed man is, you know? But it seems like I'll have to wait another episode or two before we get back to that.

-----


Up until now I've seen plenty of comments online praising the Free Planets Alliance, at least from new viewers. However, with the introduction of Job Trunicht and his merry band of thugs I wonder if people's opinions will start to change?


I dunno, personally, it never felt like this was going to be the type of show that was going to go for the whole "The alliance is good and the empire is evil" thing, especially after Yang pointed out that Rudolf(?)'s followers just bought into him saying he'd make their lives easier. I mean, I could be reading into things, but if I remember right, when Yang says that everyone around him seems kind-of worried or a bit on-edge because they're so used to living in this world where the alliance is the ultimate good power that they're just not sure how to deal with someone basically being like "Yeah, Hitler's followers had a good reason to buy into things".

It's not nearly as direct as just extremist terrorism, but I feel like that scene did a pretty solid job of getting the point across that things might not be as open and one-sided as the backstory might lead people to believe.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.