First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last

Fighting games

Post Reply
109 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/29/18 , edited 7/30/18
Hello, Astral here Do you guys enjoy fighting games if so what games do you enjoy? Currently I'm playing Tekken 7 on PC. I might pick up others in the future. The learning curve is quite big, I play with my Razer Panthera fight stick, but I love the challenge fighting games give me and the respect one may have for an individual with an immense amount of skill.
7262 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 7/29/18 , edited 7/30/18
If older games can be mentioned, I enjoy Tekken series, Street Fighter series, Capcom vs. SNK, Streets of Rage series, Art of Fighting, King of Fighters (I am mostly familiar with King of Fighters '99), Final Fight 3, Soul Calibur and Bushido Blade.

I am not playing any new games currently, though if the times improve for me I do want to try Tekken 7 in the future.
13198 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 7/29/18 , edited 7/30/18
I've played them for a very long time though I don't really play any seriously at the moment. I've dabbled with Tekken 7 but have ended up watching way more of it than I've played. I'm quite looking forward to Soul Calibur 6 but am still hoping that more characters I'm actually interested in get confirmed. I'm also re-learning Dead Or Alive to get myself prepped for when the next one releases earlier next year. Hoping my mains get announced for that as well. I guess I also play a tiny bit of the BlazBlue series but I'm pretty terrible at it as I've never really internalized all of the unique system things it has going on. When I play it, I just play it badly as a standard 2D fighter which it definitely is not.

The two games I've probably spent the most serious time with in the past were Capcom VS SNK2 and Tekken Tag Tournament 1. I've played both pad and stick with my preference being stick for 2D games and pad for 3D games. I don't currently have a stick though I've been thinking on and off about getting a new one at some point. I just don't play enough 2D games right now to really justify it.

But yeah, love fighting games and have for a very long time. I'm super looking forward to EVO this coming weekend. It should, as always, be super hype.

49 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
20 / M / Ireland
Offline
Posted 7/29/18 , edited 7/30/18
Who do you main? I've been playing Lee for quite a while
13198 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 7/30/18 , edited 7/30/18

BalorsCurse wrote:

Who do you main? I've been playing Lee for quite a while


I've always appreciated Lee even back when he was just a Law clone gameplay wise, but as he's become his own character I've never been able to really make him work. Kudos to those who can.

Personally I've loved Xiaoyu and Hwoarang eve since they were first introduced. Complicated and heavy on both pressure and evasion, even in cases where those approaches aren't exactly practical. Thankfully Xiaoyu is very solid in T7 even amongst the "easier" and more straightforward cast of powerful characters.
12564 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / M / Chaldea Security...
Online
Posted 7/30/18 , edited 7/30/18
I've given up on KOF, been playing them for years yet I don't have the dexterity to pull off their shit. Their too hard for me Give me Tekken, VF( I know I know), SC, DOA, hell even SF any day over KOF.
1136 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
19 / M / Nasuverse
Offline
Posted 7/30/18 , edited 7/30/18
Naruto Ultimate storm trilogy
Db xenoverse 2
Naruto Storm 4
Tekken 7
Blazblue cross tag battle
109 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/30/18 , edited 7/30/18
My current main is Ling, still learning the fundamentals of fighting games so it's been a challenge but I love it
12564 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / M / Chaldea Security...
Online
Posted 7/30/18 , edited 7/30/18
I honestly wish we could get a fighting game that was flashy like Blazblue, DOA, Tekken ect ect yet instead of comboing ones face off into oblivion; things were more reaction based compared to 64291 or a super long ass button sequence to pull off a combo with frame inputs like no other.

Kind of why I'm looking forward to SC6 so much, game is less combo based and more about spacial awareness and trying to ring out your opponent. At most you'll have a three hit combo(not counting grabs like Ivy's or supers) to take off their entire health bar compared to some 65 hit air combo where you can't break it.
109 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/30/18 , edited 7/30/18
I have yet to play a sc game but I don't mind the way fighting games are as of now.
13198 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 7/30/18 , edited 7/30/18

HopexLight wrote:
Kind of why I'm looking forward to SC6 so much, game is less combo based and more about spacial awareness and trying to ring out your opponent. At most you'll have a three hit combo(not counting grabs like Ivy's or supers) to take off their entire health bar compared to some 65 hit air combo where you can't break it.


Based on your description, I was actually going to recommend Soul Calibur to you lol It's definitely true that many fighting games these days are largely about either long combos, full on traps/vortexes or some combination of both. As much as I personally enjoy Tekken, that's definitely on e thing I can recognize a lot of people not liking about it.

I'm just hoping Seung Mina and Setsuka make it into SC6, but at least I have Talim so it's not all bad. Should be more details revealed at EVO to chew on.


astralblack wrote:

My current main is Ling, still learning the fundamentals of fighting games so it's been a challenge but I love it :D


Ling Xiaoyu is a tough place to start Hehe Still, though, it's much better to pick a character you're interested in than just picking a beginner friendly character that may make it easier to learn the ropes but is going to burn you out with boredom. The good thing about Ling is that while she has some complicated stuff you can get a good feel for the game without necessarily needing all of it. She's got some good fairly basic tools to play with, and you actually can learn to play with her reasonably by playing against the AI as well as opposed to some characters who rely completely on mixups and mindgames (which, not surprisingly, don't work against the AI).

If you're looking for study material, I'll suggest checking out this first to 10 set between Yuyu and Tanukana, two of the current best Ling players in the world. Mirror matches aren't always great but they're actually pretty decent in Tekken and you rarely see a set like this in any game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWk3oO2MBsc
12564 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / M / Chaldea Security...
Online
Posted 7/30/18 , edited 7/31/18

StriderShinryu wrote:


HopexLight wrote:
Kind of why I'm looking forward to SC6 so much, game is less combo based and more about spacial awareness and trying to ring out your opponent. At most you'll have a three hit combo(not counting grabs like Ivy's or supers) to take off their entire health bar compared to some 65 hit air combo where you can't break it.


Based on your description, I was actually going to recommend Soul Calibur to you lol It's definitely true that many fighting games these days are largely about either long combos, full on traps/vortexes or some combination of both. As much as I personally enjoy Tekken, that's definitely on e thing I can recognize a lot of people not liking about it.

I'm just hoping Seung Mina and Setsuka make it into SC6, but at least I have Talim so it's not all bad. Should be more details revealed at EVO to chew on.


astralblack wrote:

My current main is Ling, still learning the fundamentals of fighting games so it's been a challenge but I love it :D


Ling Xiaoyu is a tough place to start Hehe Still, though, it's much better to pick a character you're interested in than just picking a beginner friendly character that may make it easier to learn the ropes but is going to burn you out with boredom. The good thing about Ling is that while she has some complicated stuff you can get a good feel for the game without necessarily needing all of it. She's got some good fairly basic tools to play with, and you actually can learn to play with her reasonably by playing against the AI as well as opposed to some characters who rely completely on mixups and mindgames (which, not surprisingly, don't work against the AI).

If you're looking for study material, I'll suggest checking out this first to 10 set between Yuyu and Tanukana, two of the current best Ling players in the world. Mirror matches aren't always great but they're actually pretty decent in Tekken and you rarely see a set like this in any game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWk3oO2MBsc


Yeah, I love me some Tekken to, but out of Namco's games, I've always liked to play SC more. Tekken for its "anime" story and SC for it's ranked matches.
147 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 7/30/18 , edited 7/31/18
Yes, big FG fan here. I've been playing since I was 8 years old, when MK came to the arcades.

MK and Tekken/Soul is basically all I played, and just mostly casually, up until last summer when I decided to take FG's more serious when Tekken 7 came out.

The past year, I've played every non-Capcom game you can think of (GG, KI, UNI, Arcana Heart, DoA, KoF, Skullgirls, Them's Fightin' Herds, a few other anime FGs, Smash if that counts), so it's been an interesting journey the past year. After lots of thought, I've decided for the future to focus on BlazBlue and SC (tho I may still pick DoA over SC). I'll still play every FG that comes out, but I want to focus on just a couple as my "main" ones. I entered my first tournament last month for BBTag.

Interestingly enough, even tho I've never liked SF, I've been itching to try SFV the past couple months. It looks so simple, i think it's something I'd be good at lol. And the scene is obviously huge, which is a perk. But I'll probably resist and stick to my guns...
109 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / New York
Offline
Posted 7/31/18 , edited 7/31/18
It's all about what you like and keep trying to get better:D
13198 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / M / SW Ontario, Canada
Online
Posted 8/2/18 , edited 8/3/18
For those looking to get into a current fighting game, Steam is having an Evo sale this weekend. Some pretty beefy sales on some of the biggest titles to be played at the event.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.