First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last

Air pollution causes ‘huge’ reduction in intelligence, study reveals. Impact of high levels of toxic air ‘is equivalent

Post Reply
qwueri 
26980 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 8/28/18 , edited 8/28/18

niotabunny wrote:

well there's always the safe alternative of fresh air in a can, it's quite the rage in France and China, as well as other places.


25109 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
778 / The White House
Offline
Posted 8/28/18 , edited 8/28/18

BushyBrowSensei wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

I've known this for years. We need to be focusing on this, soil depletion, and water pollution instead of the CO2 boogieman because these are the things that can actually ruin Earth and make it unlivable.

Don't forget that indoor air pollution can many times be worse than outdoor due to the leakage of toxins from paint, furniture, and household cleaners. Buy non-toxic and don't kill yourself.

P.S. For those talking about alternative energies we have nuclear and it could solve our energy problems right now.


I'm all for cleaning up actual pollution.

Nuclear fuel cycle really needs closing, but that tech is sitting on a shelf next to Telsa's stuff


You can reprocess nuclear waste until it can no longer perform fission, goes below thorium. If its radioactive then its producing large amounts of heat that can still be used. Most of our existing reactors are based on military designs with a smaller reactor and hotter fuel, thus needing uranium. Newer designs just need to boil compressed water and they have larger reactor areas so even if the fuel isn't as hot as long as it can boil the water it's good and it's much safter because its easier to design materials to contain 1000-2000F temps. The fuel doesn't have to even be uranium just anything between thorium and uranium where it can react. When it is no longer hot enough you reprocess it, remove the 10% of non-radioactive material, throw some fresh recycled former nuclear bomb uranium in there and put it back in the reactor.
14010 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
32 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Offline
Posted 8/28/18 , edited 8/28/18

gornotck wrote:

Had a feeling this related to China in some way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrfE9I8_hs

5158 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/20/18 , edited 9/20/18
no wonder so many people in large cities call people in small towns stupid, urban society is too stupid to realize how stupid they are
12539 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 9/20/18 , edited 9/20/18

woodenlobster wrote:

no wonder so many people in large cities call people in small towns stupid, urban society is too stupid to realize how stupid they are


Came here to say this. Urban areas in the USA tend to vote Democrat. It makes sense, too: the poorest performing elementary and high schools are in the inner cities.
4507 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Online
Posted 9/20/18 , edited 9/20/18
And yet the Trump administration and the GOP as a whole continue to push for policies that compromise air quality.
25109 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
778 / The White House
Offline
Posted 9/20/18 , edited 9/21/18

Mishio1 wrote:

And yet the Trump administration and the GOP as a whole continue to push for policies that compromise air quality.


Politics that push production to China compromise the planets air quality, thanks Obama. Bringing the jobs back here improve air quality because the USA has standards unlike China. Plus we treat our workers decent with safety laws so bringing them back is also the humanitarian thing to do.
4507 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Online
Posted 9/20/18 , edited 9/20/18

Rujikin wrote:

Politics that push production to China compromise the planets air quality, thanks Obama. Bringing the jobs back here improve air quality because the USA has standards unlike China. Plus we treat our workers decent with safety laws so bringing them back is also the humanitarian thing to do.


First of all, do you have any actual evidence that outsourcing has gone down under Trump? As far as I can tell, it's just big talk.

Also, the Trump administration's push for environmental deregulation does extend to air quality.
25109 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
778 / The White House
Offline
Posted 9/20/18 , edited 9/21/18

Mishio1 wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

Politics that push production to China compromise the planets air quality, thanks Obama. Bringing the jobs back here improve air quality because the USA has standards unlike China. Plus we treat our workers decent with safety laws so bringing them back is also the humanitarian thing to do.


First of all, do you have any actual evidence that outsourcing has gone down under Trump? As far as I can tell, it's just big talk.

Also, the Trump administration's push for environmental deregulation does extend to air quality.


His trade renegotions are what will really change it. Companies have paused plans to move overseas just because of it. His new tax plan makes it easier for companies based out of the USA to bring back money I to the USA instead of trying to burn it overseas which has been common for a while especially in tech. If you didn't know Microsoft would outsource development to other markets because they could reduce costs in the USA thus increasing profits while using stockpiled money overseas that they didn't want to bring back into the USA.


I hope your not including carbon dioxide in there.
2427 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 9/20/18 , edited 9/20/18
Wow. High air pollution doesn't offhandedly mean that urban citizens are stupid, that rural dwellers are geniuses, and that it's indicative of political leanings. A single study doesn't dictate how countries are ran, either, and it's hardly the fault of whoever the current president is. A brand-new study wouldn't and shouldn't be held up as proverbial "word of god" on it's own. Let more studies sprout up to support it.
4507 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Online
Posted 9/21/18 , edited 9/21/18

Rujikin wrote:


His trade renegotions are what will really change it. Companies have paused plans to move overseas just because of it. His new tax plan makes it easier for companies based out of the USA to bring back money I to the USA instead of trying to burn it overseas which has been common for a while especially in tech. If you didn't know Microsoft would outsource development to other markets because they could reduce costs in the USA thus increasing profits while using stockpiled money overseas that they didn't want to bring back into the USA.


I hope your not including carbon dioxide in there.


Tell that to Harley Davidson. I asked for evidence, not more big talk.

edit: continuing this in the Daily Donald, since it doesn't really have anything to do with the main topic.


Cardamom_Ginger wrote:


A single study doesn't dictate how countries are ran, either, and it's hardly the fault of whoever the current president is.


Not entirely, as it took many years to get to the current point, but he can be blamed for trying to make it worse.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/16/president-trump-directs-epa-ease-air-quality-rules-he-says-suffocates-industry/512898002/

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-vogel-fuel-emissions-california-waiver-rollback-20180803-story.html
1555 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
18 / F / AZ
Online
Posted 9/21/18 , edited 9/22/18
we need more pollution, how else are we going to evolve into super mutants
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.