First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last

Is it better to call female voice talent "voice actors" or "voice actresses"?

Post Reply
14008 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
32 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Online
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/28/18
Is it better to call female voice talent "voice actors" or "voice actresses"?
qwueri 
26962 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/27/18
Depends on whether you know the cast you're referring to is all female.
2427 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Online
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/28/18
I mostly hold them in equal regard. One is more specific, and "actresses" sounds a bit awkward, to me. I don't like the "esses" sound and spelling.
37857 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/28/18
I don't think it really matters. I probably wouldn't use actresses as the plural though, because it doesn't really roll off the tongue. I would just go with actor/actress and actors, respectively.

There is a movement among some people to get rid of the word "actress" altogether. But I think that's a pretty silly thing to get worked up over.
29803 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/28/18
I use it interchangeably when talking about female VAs.
17741 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/28/18
Just call them "the help".
1548 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/30/18
As long as however you say it you make sure to note that they are female and are very, very talented and brave for taking such a job that is usually dominated by males.
25067 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
778 / The White House
Offline
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/30/18
Who cares? Male/Female is pretty irrelevant except for filling a specific voice. Voice acting really doesn't have any sex based advantages besides writers making a large female cast.
17741 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/28/18
If anything, women get more roles.
89 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 9/27/18 , edited 9/28/18
I've always gone with Voice Over Artists for everyone.
6376 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
F / BuBbLeS!
Offline
Posted 9/28/18 , edited 9/28/18
who cares, unless they are totally a flake and correct you then it's no big deal. I've always called them actors and they've never corrected me nor rolled their eyes or shown they were flustered about being called actor. if they did have a problem with it, why would I want to talk to them further.
12537 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / People's Republic...
Offline
Posted 9/28/18 , edited 9/30/18

AedonBlackheart wrote:

As long as however you say it you make sure to note that they are female and are very, very talented and brave for taking such a job that is usually dominated by males.


This is true. The role of voice actress has been dominated by men for far too long
14008 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
32 / M / Marshall, Michigan
Online
Posted 9/28/18 , edited 9/28/18

karatecowboy wrote:


AedonBlackheart wrote:

As long as however you say it you make sure to note that they are female and are very, very talented and brave for taking such a job that is usually dominated by males.


This is true. The role of voice actress has been dominated by men for far too long


This made me laugh so hard.
5581 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 9/28/18 , edited 9/30/18

AedonBlackheart wrote:

As long as however you say it you make sure to note that they are female and are very, very talented and brave for taking such a job that is usually dominated by males.


I really hope this is sarcasm.
1548 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 9/28/18 , edited 9/29/18

D4nc3Style wrote:


AedonBlackheart wrote:

As long as however you say it you make sure to note that they are female and are very, very talented and brave for taking such a job that is usually dominated by males.


I really hope this is sarcasm.


Of course. Sarcasm and dark humour are both vices for me. No one is safe from them.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.