First  Prev  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  Next  Last

Goblin Slayer Discussion

Post Reply
36539 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
F / New York
Online
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/12/18

borderliner wrote:


3ngag3 wrote:

Did CR realy just issue an apology over this and offered to post disclaimers for future episodes?


Got a link? I'd like to read what they wrote.

For sure this show should not have gone out as a PG-13 which is what I think it originally listed as.

Yesterday’s tweet for those who did not see it.


https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1050530602452054016
130 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/24/18
Edgy show that is rather boring. There really was no threat in the first episode, the only reason the noob team died was because they were all complete idiots. If they had armour, potions and stayed together they would have lived. Now if a pro team was wiped out by goblins, then showing goblinslayer420 killing all the goblins might have had some weight.

This is what I saw when I watched the first episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G8HV7ogbas
7722 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/12/18

54bubbles wrote:


borderliner wrote:


3ngag3 wrote:

Did CR realy just issue an apology over this and offered to post disclaimers for future episodes?


Got a link? I'd like to read what they wrote.

For sure this show should not have gone out as a PG-13 which is what I think it originally listed as.

Yesterday’s tweet for those who did not see it.


https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1050530602452054016


Thanks, that seems proportionate.

So now we know it's just us adults watching perhaps things will calm down a little

Here's looking forward to tomorrow.
140 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/12/18
The show was mis-rated in the first place. And there should be a content warning because of all the hyper-sensitive and outrage-culture enabled people out there.

Granted, even with a warning, people would probably still complain.
46731 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/12/18

TuterKing wrote:
There really was no threat in the first episode, the only reason the noob team died was because they were all complete idiots. If they had armour, potions and stayed together they would have lived. Now if a pro team was wiped out by goblins, then showing goblinslayer420 killing all the goblins might have had some weight.


The episode very much reminded me of the first time I played in Elwynn Forest in WoW and went into the mine with the Kobolds. Normal quests to collect a few things. Regular MObs. No elites. No problem right? Wrong. I got my butt kicked. Hard. Tightly spaced MObs, fast re-spawns, long aggro range due to my level.

The "noob team" was just that, overconfident "noobs" who thought just as all other adventurers in the world of Goblin Slayer that goblins are "easy". The only ones who seem to understand how dangerous goblins really are are Goblin Slayer and Guild Girl (and maybe Cow Girl).

If you're going in expecting some epic adventure where there will be uber demons and world dragons being slain you'll be disappointed. Goblin Slayer is the no-holds-barred story of a character who goes after the "low level" creatures other adventurers won't touch. This is the equivalent of playing a fantasy MMO and remaining in the low level zones fighting to protect local villages. I love the concept. It feels more "real". YMMV
1495 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
21 / M / Virginia
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/12/18
Really excited for the next episode tomorrow. Hopefully they keep adapting things well.
37950 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/12/18
Just watched the first episode. I liked it, didn't love it. As far as realistic fantasy monster encounter anime goes, I kind of feel like Grimgar had a slightly more interesting take on it. But I am interested enough to keep on watching for sure. I'm not a huge fan yet of the main characters either. Hopefully the healer girl will keep growing as a character and become a good foil for the reticent Goblin Slayer.

As far as the "controversy" goes...all I can think is "good God there's a lot of anime plebs around here these days." I seriously think there's a subsect of western anime fandom who should just drop anime altogether at this point because they're only going to make things worse for us in the long run.
8275 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/13/18
Lets Discuss the scene that has a lot of people upset right now

Some may not like it and that is understandable but when you think about it in terms of a build up then you will realise the scene is actually a huge MUST to drive home both the "Hero" and the "Villain".

When the Series start we are basically told that the Goblins are easy prey that even some rookies are willing to go up against them, if that was true then how are we suppose to have any connections with the Goblin Slayer? We couldn't because he would be special, if anything he would be closer to a bully picking on weaker creatures than the so called Hero.

So how do you make his character respectable? You make the Goblins are vile and as disgusting as you possibly can - To have them doing the most gruesome and unethical stuff imaginable (including that scene) so that when the guy turns up to eliminate them you are actually glad to see him and you want him to kick their butts.

But then later on in the episode you are put into a moral dilemma - When he is done and he finds the Goblin children and without remorse proceeds to kill them off too you are put into a situation where even though the goblins had done some awful things you can't help but wonder if this "Hero" was taking too far or if he was doing exactly what needed to be done.

So in the end, You have creatures that although not a threat to most they are still a danger if left unchecked and you have a solid Anti Hero character who may be on the good side but his actions can seem just as villainous.
26802 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
54 / M / In
Online
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/13/18

OhhhFreakOut wrote:

Lets Discuss the scene that has a lot of people upset right now

Some may not like it and that is understandable but when you think about it in terms of a build up then you will realise the scene is actually a huge MUST to drive home both the "Hero" and the "Villain".

When the Series start we are basically told that the Goblins are easy prey that even some rookies are willing to go up against them, if that was true then how are we suppose to have any connections with the Goblin Slayer? We couldn't because he would be special, if anything he would be closer to a bully picking on weaker creatures than the so called Hero.

So how do you make his character respectable? You make the Goblins are vile and as disgusting as you possibly can - To have them doing the most gruesome and unethical stuff imaginable (including that scene) so that when the guy turns up to eliminate them you are actually glad to see him and you want him to kick their butts.

But then later on in the episode you are put into a moral dilemma - When he is done and he finds the Goblin children and without remorse proceeds to kill them off too you are put into a situation where even though the goblins had done some awful things you can't help but wonder if this "Hero" was taking too far or if he was doing exactly what needed to be done.

So in the end, You have creatures that although not a threat to most they are still a danger if left unchecked and you have a solid Anti Hero character who may be on the good side but his actions can seem just as villainous.


May I disagree with you on one point of your great write up?
I don't view GS as a hero anti or otherwise. He is a professional. I honestly don't think he takes any joy in killing goblins to him it's just something that needs to be done. As far as the goblin children go if you exterminate a rats nest you don't leave the baby rats alive because soon you will just over run with rats again
2458 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / Great White North
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/13/18

baconaterswagg wrote:

Really excited for the next episode tomorrow. Hopefully they keep adapting things well.


Same here, really looking forward to tomorrows episode.



130 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/13/18

domvina wrote:


The episode very much reminded me of the first time I played in Elwynn Forest in WoW and went into the mine with the Kobolds. Normal quests to collect a few things. Regular MObs. No elites. No problem right? Wrong. I got my butt kicked. Hard. Tightly spaced MObs, fast re-spawns, long aggro range due to my level.

The "noob team" was just that, overconfident "noobs" who thought just as all other adventurers in the world of Goblin Slayer that goblins are "easy". The only ones who seem to understand how dangerous goblins really are are Goblin Slayer and Guild Girl (and maybe Cow Girl).

If you're going in expecting some epic adventure where there will be uber demons and world dragons being slain you'll be disappointed. Goblin Slayer is the no-holds-barred story of a character who goes after the "low level" creatures other adventurers won't touch. This is the equivalent of playing a fantasy MMO and remaining in the low level zones fighting to protect local villages. I love the concept. It feels more "real". YMMV


You kind of pointed out the issues I have. While the noobs dying to low level monsters seems real, real doesn't necessarily make a good plot. How they present goblins are that they have slight issues defeating a group of complete noobs. This can be seen by the noobs being able to kill a good number of goblins. As such, the goblins really are not much of a threat and as such there is no real threat to carry the story. This is not to say a show needs some huge threat to be good. It can also really on its cast. However, the cast kind of sucks in this show.

You first got the Priestess. She is a clueless and worthless. She can only cast three spells at a time and has no way to attack which makes her worthless. She also doesn't seem the brightest person in the world either. The other person is goblin slayer. He kills goblins. That is his one and only defining trait. They both have no names and are as bland as bland can be.

For these reasons, both the enemies and the cast can't carry the show. What else is there? It is edgy.
2458 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / Great White North
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/13/18

TuterKing wrote:

You kind of pointed out the issues I have. While the noobs dying to low level monsters seems real, real doesn't necessarily make a good plot. How they present goblins are that they have slight issues defeating a group of complete noobs. This can be seen by the noobs being able to kill a good number of goblins. As such, the goblins really are not much of a threat and as such there is no real threat to carry the story. This is not to say a show needs some huge threat to be good. It can also really on its cast. However, the cast kind of sucks in this show.


There's many subspecies among the goblin race, they only introduced the weakest members for the first episode.


130 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/13/18

OhhhFreakOut wrote:

Lets Discuss the scene that has a lot of people upset right now

Some may not like it and that is understandable but when you think about it in terms of a build up then you will realise the scene is actually a huge MUST to drive home both the "Hero" and the "Villain".

When the Series start we are basically told that the Goblins are easy prey that even some rookies are willing to go up against them, if that was true then how are we suppose to have any connections with the Goblin Slayer? We couldn't because he would be special, if anything he would be closer to a bully picking on weaker creatures than the so called Hero.

So how do you make his character respectable? You make the Goblins are vile and as disgusting as you possibly can - To have them doing the most gruesome and unethical stuff imaginable (including that scene) so that when the guy turns up to eliminate them you are actually glad to see him and you want him to kick their butts.

But then later on in the episode you are put into a moral dilemma - When he is done and he finds the Goblin children and without remorse proceeds to kill them off too you are put into a situation where even though the goblins had done some awful things you can't help but wonder if this "Hero" was taking too far or if he was doing exactly what needed to be done.

So in the end, You have creatures that although not a threat to most they are still a danger if left unchecked and you have a solid Anti Hero character who may be on the good side but his actions can seem just as villainous.


I wouldn't say it is a must. Really would say the scenes make it feel less about hero/villain and more about killing pests. There are goblins babies but no female goblin. What does this mean? They need the female humans to have kids. Hence they are not evil, they are just doing what is natural to them. It is as evil as me killing a cow and eating its flesh, after it is cooked of course. This makes goblin slayer more of an exterminator rather than a hero. Like exterminators, he kills both adult and baby goblins because they are pests, just as we do with rats and bees.

If they really wanted to make the goblins evil, they would show them torturing the adventures or slowly killing them. Like make the goblins cut them open so they slowly bleed to death, maybe by cutting a limb at a time while laughing. Or if they wanted to go full edge, they could do the same thing that I wrote while they had there way with all them, including the guy. Both of these would show the goblins to be villains, but, how it was done was just beasts doing what they need to do to survive.
43664 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/13/18

TuterKing wrote:


OhhhFreakOut wrote:

Lets Discuss the scene that has a lot of people upset right now

Some may not like it and that is understandable but when you think about it in terms of a build up then you will realise the scene is actually a huge MUST to drive home both the "Hero" and the "Villain".

When the Series start we are basically told that the Goblins are easy prey that even some rookies are willing to go up against them, if that was true then how are we suppose to have any connections with the Goblin Slayer? We couldn't because he would be special, if anything he would be closer to a bully picking on weaker creatures than the so called Hero.

So how do you make his character respectable? You make the Goblins are vile and as disgusting as you possibly can - To have them doing the most gruesome and unethical stuff imaginable (including that scene) so that when the guy turns up to eliminate them you are actually glad to see him and you want him to kick their butts.

But then later on in the episode you are put into a moral dilemma - When he is done and he finds the Goblin children and without remorse proceeds to kill them off too you are put into a situation where even though the goblins had done some awful things you can't help but wonder if this "Hero" was taking too far or if he was doing exactly what needed to be done.

So in the end, You have creatures that although not a threat to most they are still a danger if left unchecked and you have a solid Anti Hero character who may be on the good side but his actions can seem just as villainous.


I wouldn't say it is a must. Really would say the scenes make it feel less about hero/villain and more about killing pests. There are goblins babies but no female goblin. What does this mean? They need the female humans to have kids. Hence they are not evil, they are just doing what is natural to them. It is as evil as me killing a cow and eating its flesh, after it is cooked of course. This makes goblin slayer more of an exterminator rather than a hero. Like exterminators, he kills both adult and baby goblins because they are pests, just as we do with rats and bees.

If they really wanted to make the goblins evil, they would show them torturing the adventures or slowly killing them. Like make the goblins cut them open so they slowly bleed to death, maybe by cutting a limb at a time while laughing. Or if they wanted to go full edge, they could do the same thing that I wrote while they had there way with all them, including the guy. Both of these would show the goblins to be villains, but, how it was done was just beasts doing what they need to do to survive.

If the anime adapts correctly you will see goblins mutilating humans. They are meant to be evil.
434 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M
Online
Posted 10/12/18 , edited 10/12/18
I think we can agree they are evil savage beasts, prepare the drop pods.. it's time to purge the filth!
First  Prev  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41  42  43  44  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.