First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last

Goblin Slayer Discussion

Post Reply
13878 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18

runec wrote:
The rape on the other hand just seemed like it was added for edgy shock value.


Seemed to me that the rape was what clearly defined the goblins as evil and deserving of extermination.

The adventurers were in goblin territory and the goblins were "just" defending themselves until they started raping.

We may never know anything about these dead adventurers but those scenes (almost) justify what follows the slayer's entrance.

I guess it's going to come down to how often we get "reminded" that the goblins like to rape their victims

In the meantime the harrowing scenes like the one below just feel more "realistic" than the usually bloodless and often consequence free actions of the characters in shows like these.




20491 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / Houston, Texas
Online
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18

Azure2290 wrote:

Think of them like the Trolls from Berserk but a lot more vile. A lot of information was cut like for example, the dagger used on the wizard was not poisoned in the traditional sense. Basically the dagger is coated in the piss and shit and whatever herbs they could find. Which kind of sucks because it adds more depth to how bad these creatures are.


Yeah I noticed that the fecal/urine laced dagger details were left out.

The trolls from Berserk were a lot more vile than the goblins in this series as they actually use human female to reproduce.
635 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / Meh
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18

paulchaested wrote:


Azure2290 wrote:

Think of them like the Trolls from Berserk but a lot more vile. A lot of information was cut like for example, the dagger used on the wizard was not poisoned in the traditional sense. Basically the dagger is coated in the piss and shit and whatever herbs they could find. Which kind of sucks because it adds more depth to how bad these creatures are.


Yeah I noticed that the fecal/urine laced dagger details were left out.

The trolls from Berserk were a lot more vile than the goblins in this series as they actually use human female to reproduce.


You mean that goblins are right? Trolls just use to reproduce, Goblins use for entertainment and their sadistic desires.
13934 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 11/18/18

borderliner wrote:

Seemed to me that the rape was what clearly defined the goblins as evil and deserving of extermination.



I honestly don't get it. Rape in Game of Thrones, rape in Vikings, rape in Spartacus Blood and Sand, rape in Westworld, rape in Rob Roy...these are all gritty realistic dramas. Rape in anime? Oh my god they went too far!
20491 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / Houston, Texas
Online
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18

Azure2290 wrote:

You mean that goblins are right? Trolls just use to reproduce, Goblins use for entertainment and their sadistic desires.


I'm certainly not saying goblins are right...
424 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
22 / M / Oregon
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18
This show is good so far.
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18
The clasic Isekai trope party that would fit right in as the leads to a SAO clone get crushed by the realism of unpreparedness.

The Goblins are portayed in a manner that accentuates the realistic nature of a beast that propagates via interspecies procreation and their feral brutality.

The professional deftly handles his job without over the top ass pulls, using witts and smarts accumilated via "A lot" of experience making it look "EZ"

Perfect, 10/10 would watch again.
67142 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
68 / M / Florida
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/8/18
The rapey parts apparently bother some people. But let's face facts, it isn't new to warfare.

OK, I'm going to give a small history lesson. Rape and pillage have been around for thousands of years. Fact. Bronze Age, Iron Age, Dark Ages, etc. pick one. Rape was a consequence of warfare. Goblins and Humans are at war. I suppose you can eject honesty out the window, but then the story isn't authentic. This clearly is an adult anime, and it chooses to treat it's audience as adults. It chooses to tell us exactly what happened when those inexperienced adventurers entered that cave. The rape, well, it's a violent act, perpetrated on property, a slave, a literal 'spoil of war', to demonstrate the conquerer's mastery. If anything it adds to the genuineness of the story-telling. No, not pretty, but honest in it's inclusion.
18599 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18
Like many high-end treats, it's all about the inclusions.
30631 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18

HOOfan_1 wrote:


borderliner wrote:

Seemed to me that the rape was what clearly defined the goblins as evil and deserving of extermination.



I honestly don't get it. Rape in Game of Thrones, rape in Vikings, rape in Spartacus Blood and Sand, rape in Westworld, rape in Rob Roy...these are all gritty realistic dramas. Rape in anime? Oh my god they went too far!


I don't think that's what he was saying, but that rather rape is used as a plot device shorthand to communicate how evil or depraved a being is, provided it is presented as rape within the context, versus something like Himegoto or Twilight.

Which it is understandable; there's plenty of sympathetic and even legitimate reasons to murder a human being that many people can agree with or at least understand, but what reason does one have to rape another being that isn't tied to a sadistic pleasure of dehumanizing a human being?
13934 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I don't think that's what he was saying, but that rather rape is used as a plot device shorthand to communicate how evil or depraved a being is, provided it is presented as rape within the context, versus something like Himegoto or Twilight.

Which it is understandable; there's plenty of sympathetic and even legitimate reasons to murder a human being that many people can agree with or at least understand, but what reason does one have to rape another being that isn't tied to a sadistic pleasure of dehumanizing a human being?


I was actually agreeing with Borderliner's intended message that the rape isn't just put in for the edginess factor.

I don't even see the rape as being a means to show the Goblins as being evil. They raid human villages for food, they steal human women to breed. I don't take it as they are doing it just because they delight in causing suffering. I take it as they do it as a means to survive. Yet their means of survival is in direct opposition to humans, so humans deem them worth extermination.
30631 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/8/18

stahlie wrote:

The rapey parts apparently bother some people. But let's face facts, it isn't new to warfare.

OK, I'm going to give a small history lesson. Rape and pillage have been around for thousands of years. Fact. Bronze Age, Iron Age, Dark Ages, etc. pick one. Rape was a consequence of warfare. Goblins and Humans are at war. I suppose you can eject honesty out the window, but then the story isn't authentic. This clearly is an adult anime, and it chooses to treat it's audience as adults. It chooses to tell us exactly what happened when those inexperienced adventurers entered that cave. The rape, well, it's a violent act, perpetrated on property, a slave, a literal 'spoil of war', to demonstrate the conquerer's mastery. If anything it adds to the genuineness of the story-telling. No, not pretty, but honest in it's inclusion.


I think my issue of contention is what exactly is the criterion to distinguish an appropriate portrayal versus demeaning depiction. For some, it seems the more inclusion of such is worthy enough to deem "edgy", to which I agree with your part; there are many things in life that are taboo or unpleasant to think of and even lesser so to discuss.

Fiction should not shy away from depictions of rape or violence when their inclusion would be appropriate; if writers include situations in fictions where these acts would happen, but then neglect to nothing more than a vague allusion, then not only does it reek of a convenient self censoring, but a disservice to the story itself.

Though ostensibly, I believe we all agree there are narratives where this is simply treated as masturbation material, of a perverse whitewashed view or romance or righteousness that would sicken us to our stomachs. For example, if we saw the hobgoblin rutting on martial artist for 15 minutes, most of us would likely call out the anime on its gratuitous fixation in detriment to its narrative. (That is, if it wasn't a hentai.)

So in short, where exactly does everyone decrying the inclusion as "Edgy" draw the line?
27648 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
56 / M / In
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/13/18
13934 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

So in short, where exactly does everyone decrying the inclusion as "Edgy" draw the line?


One sure sign something was added for edginess factor for me is when the perpetrator starts licking their lips with a slurping noise and laughs maniacally while doing their deed (see Accelerator from A Certain Series).

That's one thing that has stood out to me about Goblin Slayer's first episode. I guess the Goblins with their eternal smirk may seem like they are enjoying violence, but for the Goblin Slayer himself, there is no exposition, no laughing, no show of emotion. He just goes in and does what he thinks is necessary. There's no sense of pleasure in violence.
81667 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
the South Bayer
Offline
Posted 10/7/18 , edited 10/7/18
As soon as those newbie who recruited her came on the scene , I immediately said DEATHFLAGS and I then I though this episode is not going be pretty and it wasn't

Well I think procreation was the goal of those goblins plus sadistic desires, I didn't see any female goblins there.

I want to see if she gets stronger though She need to say the spell faster and I want to see who is behind the armor
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.