First  Prev  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  Next  Last

Update to the Crunchyroll x Funimation Partnership

Post Reply
882 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
19 / M / In the Southern H...
Offline
Posted 1/3/19 , edited 1/3/19
I'm actually really disappointed, they got rid of so many things that I would've loved to watch, and they got rid of Hyouka as well which is a real bummer.
2944 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 1/8/19 , edited 1/9/19
I just googled "anime goth loli detective" to find out that "Gosick" was the name of the now missing-from-my-queue show that I was saving for an opportune moment. Oh well.

I guess "Gosick" is supposed to read like "Gothic"? I have no idea why the title made me think of birds.
nDroae 
11271 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / Kentucky
Offline
Posted 1/8/19 , edited 1/8/19

Gillsing wrote:

I guess "Gosick" is supposed to read like "Gothic"? I have no idea why the title made me think of birds.

Yeah, Japanese has no th sound and they substitute s / sh, so gothic becomes "gosick" (or more strictly "goshikku"), plus it incorporates the word "sick," see why here:
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=294436#msg44637641

Birds... "gosling" maybe?
2944 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 1/8/19 , edited 1/9/19


Yeah, that may have been it. And thanks for the link!
30174 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/9/19 , edited 1/9/19
i love crunchy roll cause they have a huge library or anime. Funimations selection has been bad the few times i went there to watch shows and cancelled my sub right away. I will be happy to see crunchyroll 5 years from now im happy they just do anime lets hope everyone else out there doesnt pick up on it and take a piece of the pie.
16 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
20 / F / United Arab Emira...
Offline
Posted 1/9/19 , edited 1/9/19
Oh that's so bad~~ I mean the collaboration was making it easier, but now with them separated... its going to be so hard. and especially that they have quite good ones. guess i'll be removing such great anime's from my queuing list
3189 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
48 / M / Mexico
Offline
Posted 1/9/19 , edited 1/9/19
After the latest winter simulcast announcement, I think I can say that Funimation clearly landed squarely on their face after leaving the crunchyroll partnerships. This winter Funimation has no exclusive series to call their own, so unless you really really like their dubs, there is little reason to get a subscription to their service, which was exactly where they were before leaving the partnership, the only difference is they have their catalog titles back from crunchy, but just like in the days of rental video stores, nobody gets a subscription just because of old catalog titles.

So yeah, next season Funi will no doubt try to get as many exclusive as they can, but with an ever reducing membership (they no longer get revenue from VRV), I doubt they will get anything worthwhile.
14 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 1/9/19 , edited 1/10/19
Tried to sign up on Funimation, site has been down now for 3 days. I also see on line that this is a constant problem. Anyone else?
121886 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 1/9/19 , edited 1/10/19

mangamuscle wrote:

After the latest winter simulcast announcement, I think I can say that Funimation clearly landed squarely on their face after leaving the crunchyroll partnerships. This winter Funimation has no exclusive series to call their own, so unless you really really like their dubs, there is little reason to get a subscription to their service, which was exactly where they were before leaving the partnership, the only difference is they have their catalog titles back from crunchy, but just like in the days of rental video stores, nobody gets a subscription just because of old catalog titles.

So yeah, next season Funi will no doubt try to get as many exclusive as they can, but with an ever reducing membership (they no longer get revenue from VRV), I doubt they will get anything worthwhile.


A main reason they have no exclusive Winter Shows is due to licensing deals having already been made for Winter while the CR partnership was in place. So next season is indeed when we are likely to see what Funi can do without CR. Before the partnership, which CR got more simulcasts overall than Funi, Funi did regularly have shows that were not on Crunchyroll, and which they sometimes made available on Hulu. It will be interesting to see if that situation resumes or if Funi manages to do even more.
3189 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
48 / M / Mexico
Offline
Posted 1/9/19 , edited 1/10/19

lorreen wrote:

A main reason they have no exclusive Winter Shows is due to licensing deals having already been made for Winter while the CR partnership was in place.


That would be nothing but an excuse, since Hidive has 13 exclusive series this season! It boggles the mind that a service that last season got the scraps from the table landed more exclusives than Funi, the only explanation that comes to mind is that for the deal to substitute Funi in the VRV service, they asked to get some exclusives of their own this season (at least). Also, hulu this season got some series that Funi did not, so if Funi is counting on them to get new series, they might get a cheaper deal by getting them directly.

Of course I am venting because all the talk about Funi leaving the partnership with crunchy to enter new markets (and even making dubs in other languages) was a lot of bull or wishful thinking at best.

121886 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 1/10/19 , edited 1/10/19

mangamuscle wrote:


lorreen wrote:

A main reason they have no exclusive Winter Shows is due to licensing deals having already been made for Winter while the CR partnership was in place.


That would be nothing but an excuse, since Hidive has 13 exclusive series this season! It boggles the mind that a service that last season got the scraps from the table landed more exclusives than Funi, the only explanation that comes to mind is that for the deal to substitute Funi in the VRV service, they asked to get some exclusives of their own this season (at least). Also, hulu this season got some series that Funi did not, so if Funi is counting on them to get new series, they might get a cheaper deal by getting them directly.

Of course I am venting because all the talk about Funi leaving the partnership with crunchy to enter new markets (and even making dubs in other languages) was a lot of bull or wishful thinking at best.


You missed my point. The shows Funi has for Winter are all shared with Crunchyroll. In a non-partnersip world, some of those would likely have been Funi exclusives. Even though the partnership had ended it didn't really affect Winter season so much because negotiations would have been well underway. Yes HIDIVE got a bunch but I think some of those are a result of one of Amazon's deal ending--also HIDIVE has a short history of getting a few exclusives every season--naturally they are trying to grow. Whether you consider that what they previously got were "scraps" is perhaps a matter of personal taste if one is talking more about quality than quantity. Just because they got less doesn't mean what they got were scraps.
12 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 1/10/19 , edited 1/10/19
I was wondering what happened to my favourite anime. Now, I know. I was trying to send them an email but it says it can't be sent because I need CR points or my CR points is not enough. I don't know what does it means. I hope my top favourite animes will stay.
110894 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
58 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 1/10/19 , edited 1/11/19

mangamuscle wrote:

That would be nothing but an excuse, since Hidive has 13 exclusive series this season!

I only count 10 on their simulcast schedule, and one of those is as about as un-exclusive as you can get.

Meanwhile, two of the series licensed by Sentai have been announced by CR, so even if they show up later on HIDIVE, they won't be exclusive:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-01-10/crunchyroll-adds-grimms-notes-the-animation-mysteria-friends-anime-simulcasts/.141899

Even counting those two as also to be available on HIDIVE, that still leaves one to account for.


I agree that was quite an impressive sweep by Sentai/HIDIVE considering their position in previous seasons.
5110 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / F / England
Offline
Posted 1/11/19 , edited 1/11/19
Communication is mostly done through Twitter for news as with most companys, it's all they talked about for a good while on their Twitter and they did post news articles when it happened on their site, not their fault if you're not checking their news when they release it.
15079 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/11/19 , edited 1/11/19
It was your stupid "High Guardian Spice" that killed your partnership.
5 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M
Offline
Posted 1/13/19 , edited 1/13/19
Funimation is completely blocked for Austria. I don't see any reason to pay for VPN to send them a contact message. If they are not willing into making money, then just let them die in the market. The same goes for CR where all Animes I wanted to watch are not availible in my country. I don't want to be any longer in this shitshow. It is like in the music biz where everyone is just greedy. I will return to read mangas from now on.
First  Prev  63  64  65  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.