First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last

The Promised Neverland Discussion

Post Reply
1329 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/19/19 , edited 29 days ago

yngvarr wrote:

So well-developed brains are tasty and all, but another thought passed my own brain as he was explaining why 12 years old... They have to get these children from somewhere, right? 12 years isn't unusual for the onset of puberty, making them candidates for breeding.


It's kind-of easy to forget, but our characters' farm is only as nice as it is because they want these kids to grow up to be smart. Since these demons clearly have the free reign to just pull off this operation, I have no doubt at all that there's some warehouse somewhere where people are either being bred or milked for their semen to implant into females to make more children with.
13161 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
40 / M / Charlotte, NC
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 29 days ago
You know what this reminds me of slightly is Now and Then, Here and There.
For it having children wise beyond their years due to traumatic experiences, living in a terrifying hell from which there seems to be no escape and the world beyond is unknown; even though this is a different genre... there are a lot of parallels. The orchestral music which is beautiful yet sad at the same time is another, brilliant, excellent touch.
The only problem is some of the stuff they say isn't something kids would be able to catch onto and explain so easily- like the bit about tracking devices. Emma's reactions so far are the most believable- so she functions as a good audience-surrogate; embodying the terror we feel standing in dark hallways, or is anyone listening to their conversation. The bits I enjoyed the most is watching the interactions with Mom- just watching how they fuck with each other was cruel yet awesome. Anyway two episodes in and so far so good. IF the writers can resist that anime-esque temptation to throw some ridiculous twist (i.e the monsters are mechs/mama is a robot from outter space etc) then I'm fully on board with this.
183 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago

KingKaio wrote:




As a big fan of NTHT, I must say I didn't notice it. I do agree that there are many parallels, especially when it comes to the mood or setting. Still I think the overall message is somewhat different. NTHT gives off the vibe of the horrors of war and unquestionable procedures soldiers must apply to. Then again, in some sense in Neverland there is a 'war' going on also.
13908 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 29 days ago
Hmm, I'm still not sure about this.
The obstacles (the adults, the wall, saving everyone) feel a little bit forced to me right now (although this problem could be solved rather quickly) and the reason why they test them seems weird to me. A test isn't exactly the best method to determine the weight of their brains and it's a little bit strange that they all get the same test and the same time. Of course the younger children will do worse than the older kids.


SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

I think it simply is a brand thing. Kids who perform well on tests will probably have a brain that is quite similar to someone who performs subpar on them. But I guess people/aliens would pay more for brains of high performing kids because they assume that is has some effect on the taste or structure.

That sounds a lot more plausible to me and I hope they will give us an explanation like that later in the story.

Anyways, I like the atmosphere and I still want to see more.
6806 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago

Dethhollow wrote:
...milked for their semen


Good grief DethHollow whatever made you think up that scenario...
37966 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago

Dethhollow wrote:


yngvarr wrote:

So well-developed brains are tasty and all, but another thought passed my own brain as he was explaining why 12 years old... They have to get these children from somewhere, right? 12 years isn't unusual for the onset of puberty, making them candidates for breeding.


It's kind-of easy to forget, but our characters' farm is only as nice as it is because they want these kids to grow up to be smart. Since these demons clearly have the free reign to just pull off this operation, I have no doubt at all that there's some warehouse somewhere where people are either being bred or milked for their semen to implant into females to make more children with.


Don't forget that people do eat veal which is pretty well baby cow. Heck there grain fed and milk fed which supposedly has a different taste!

.and there a grading system for cattle as well.

So having range free kids for the demon might be a bit marketing ploy saying they taste better to demons.

Thought we don't know anything about the demon society either..

It all very intriguing!
27983 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago

curr0001 wrote:


Dethhollow wrote:


yngvarr wrote:

So well-developed brains are tasty and all, but another thought passed my own brain as he was explaining why 12 years old... They have to get these children from somewhere, right? 12 years isn't unusual for the onset of puberty, making them candidates for breeding.


It's kind-of easy to forget, but our characters' farm is only as nice as it is because they want these kids to grow up to be smart. Since these demons clearly have the free reign to just pull off this operation, I have no doubt at all that there's some warehouse somewhere where people are either being bred or milked for their semen to implant into females to make more children with.


Don't forget that people do eat veal which is pretty well baby cow. Heck there grain fed and milk fed which supposedly has a different taste!



The reason we have veal is because when you're raising cattle (especially dairy) you don't need many bulls so young males are slaughtered, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

14315 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago

curr0001 wrote:

So having range free kids for the demon might be a bit marketing ploy saying they taste better to demons.



Unlike our competitors, all the kids at Mama's Children Ranch are all free-range. They're free of harmful antibiotics, and are all fed with natural organic foods the children themselves raise! A healthy diet and plenty of exercise ensure that, pound-for-pound, our children are simply the yummiest around. Try one today!
37248 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
29 / M / St.Louis
Online
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago

borderliner wrote:


Dethhollow wrote:
...milked for their semen


Good grief DethHollow whatever made you think up that scenario...
Have you not heard of the cum and joke mines of Mars

149 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago
Wow I'm still shocked but i want to see more. I'm sooooo hooked
80934 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
the South Bayer
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago

srlan23 wrote:

Hmm, I'm still not sure about this.
The obstacles (the adults, the wall, saving everyone) feel a little bit forced to me right now (although this problem could be solved rather quickly) and the reason why they test them seems weird to me. A test isn't exactly the best method to determine the weight of their brains and it's a little bit strange that they all get the same test and the same time. Of course the younger children will do worse than the older kids.


SocialJusticeWarrior wrote:

I think it simply is a brand thing. Kids who perform well on tests will probably have a brain that is quite similar to someone who performs subpar on them. But I guess people/aliens would pay more for brains of high performing kids because they assume that is has some effect on the taste or structure.

That sounds a lot more plausible to me and I hope they will give us an explanation like that later in the story.

Anyways, I like the atmosphere and I still want to see more.


The test is a challenge that stimulates the brain .

I don’t want to say more but their rating is close to high quality wagyu beef

6806 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 28 days ago , edited 28 days ago

CKD-Anime wrote:


borderliner wrote:


Dethhollow wrote:
...milked for their semen


Good grief DethHollow whatever made you think up that scenario...
Have you not heard of the cum and joke mines of Mars



I haven't watched South Park in Sooooo long, that was disturbing
2869 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
57 / M / Seattle-ish
Online
Posted 28 days ago , edited 27 days ago

borderliner wrote:


CKD-Anime wrote:


borderliner wrote:


Dethhollow wrote:
...milked for their semen


Good grief DethHollow whatever made you think up that scenario...
Have you not heard of the cum and joke mines of Mars



I haven't watched South Park in Sooooo long, that was disturbing


lol, You guys should see the movie "A Boy and His Dog"

Anyways, just watched the first two episodes, Holy Cow....... oh wait!

9107 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 28 days ago , edited 27 days ago
Trying to avoid spoilers at all cost, so apologies if I parrot anything already said.

I watched the first two episodes alone, but got a group of friends to watch both with me over the weekend. Everyone is really enjoying and none of us were familiar with it ahead of time.

I have a few theories about what is going on overall. Assuming that the demons did take over the world and humanity is treated like caddle, there must be more farms. How long this has been going on is hard to say, but I would figure at least a few decades based on 2045 and the fact at least Emma/Norman/Ray generation has apparently grown up in the orphanage. We have only seen two adults so far and both are women. I'm torn on whether they are all test tube babies or if they have "farms" for breeding humans as well. At first I thought that would be inefficient based on the 9 month cycle, but then they're also waiting 6-12 years to eat the children as well.


With that in mind, I'm at a crossroad of two ideas.
> The first is that the escape process is something encouraged and/or a natural part of our instincts for survival upon learning the truth. This would mean a select few would rise up and try to lead a revolt of sorts that we already see in Emma/Norman/Ray. The ones who end up escaping are then offered, based on their intelligence and cunning, a position of 'employment' as one of the adults looking over the orphanage(s). I would assume that only women get this role, so the smartest men may be used for breeding purposes versus death? I feel like that's what happened to Isabella - she seems early adulthood to late twenties and lines up with the idea of this process going on for 2-3 decades or so.
> The second is that Isabella, in a twisted sense, is encouraging the children to escape. This could mean that humanity is in fact not wiped out, but either co-existing or conflict is still on going. In this sense we could look at the farms as more of "concentration camps" to compare to the real world during a time of war in their universe. Maybe past children who escaped started some sort of resistance, based on the fact the they would be far more intellectual due to the tests?

I feel like we need to know more about the outside world and Mom for my theories to evolve or change. It's also possible that this is underground or an alternate dimension/universe. Hard to say without more clues.
1329 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 27 days ago , edited 27 days ago

The only problem is some of the stuff they say isn't something kids would be able to catch onto and explain so easily- like the bit about tracking devices. Emma's reactions so far are the most believable- so she functions as a good audience-surrogate; embodying the terror we feel standing in dark hallways, or is anyone listening to their conversation.


To be fair, these are kids who were raised (and maybe bred) specifically to be intelligent for the sake of being sold by their test scores, so it makes sense that they'd be able to figure out complex problems dealing with how they're kept there. The only point where it's really a problem is after they realize the truth of the farm, which wouldn't have happened if Connie left Little Bunny behind.

Slight spoiler just in-case you care about whether they succeed or fail the escape:
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.