Created by rocketrockstar
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last

Do you own a flag of your country?

Post Reply
29418 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / F / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 1/16/19 , edited 1/17/19
I don't think I personally own any US flags right now. Haven't really even thought about it, to be honest. It's not important to me.


Jonas711 wrote:


sdaidoji wrote:

Only US needs a flag to gather under it...
Other countries does not need that to gather... That's a concept valid only here.
been in Europe, lived in 4 different countries, only US seen to have this kind of habit...
Maybe Japan in WWII would fit the bill (I am Japanese descendant, so mind that i am talking about my own race background too )


Huh? Makes no sense. Japan still has a flag, as does Europe and all of the nations under the EU Flag. I guess I'm missing your point, though it sounds like you're saying flags are only important to Americans and we need them like a security blanket or something? That's I perceive it anyway....


If that was the point he was making, he most certainly has a point. A number of people in the US act like the flag is something sacred/holy and they practically worship it. That's not even an exaggeration, it is too accurate and I don't understand it one bit.
511 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/16/19 , edited 1/17/19

onepiece_fan wrote:

I don't think I personally own any US flags right now. Haven't really even thought about it, to be honest. It's not important to me.

If that was the point he was making, he most certainly has a point. A number of people in the US act like the flag is something sacred/holy and they practically worship it. That's not even an exaggeration, it is too accurate and I don't understand it one bit.


Sure, a few people are that way, then you've got the other side of total disrespect. I think for the average person, it has an important meaning. At least for the average American, maybe not the average whatever other country we're talking about.

Visit a military cemetery or a place like Pearl Harbor. You might see things in a different light.
51 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
F / Australia
Offline
Posted 1/19/19 , edited 1/20/19
I don't have a proper one and probably won't get one in the foreseeable future, mainly because I can't be bothered
I've only seen very few people actually flying our country's flag (maybe I haven't looked hard enough) (I don't know if that's relative to this topic)
But I probably do have some form of cheap souvenir flags somewhere that my family probably got for some national day or a celebration or something
86 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
O / Alberta, Canada
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago
I have a few Canadian flags. One full sized one, the others just small things.
I also have a One Piece flag.
10255 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
20 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 29 days ago , edited 28 days ago

Ryulightorb wrote:

no such a weird thing to do and cringy


How? Doesn't make any sense.
Anyway, no, but I want to get one.
33007 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
22 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 28 days ago , edited 28 days ago

MonoDreams wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

no such a weird thing to do and cringy


How? Doesn't make any sense.
Anyway, no, but I want to get one.


Because owning a flag of your own country comes off as nationalistic which isn't a desirable attribute to have, taking excessive pride in ones own country.

I understand loving your country but most people who love their country to death don't own flags generally it's only the people who say MY COUNTRY IS BEST EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IS INFERIOR who do.

However this may be cultural that's just how it is where i live so to me i see it as kind of cringy.

It may be different for other countries i haven't travelled around enough to know so my only real judgement is based off of my country i hope that explains why i see it as cringy :).

33007 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
22 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 28 days ago , edited 28 days ago

Fireflightt wrote:

I don't have a proper one and probably won't get one in the foreseeable future, mainly because I can't be bothered
I've only seen very few people actually flying our country's flag (maybe I haven't looked hard enough) (I don't know if that's relative to this topic)
But I probably do have some form of cheap souvenir flags somewhere that my family probably got for some national day or a celebration or something

most people don't in our country :P
29418 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / F / Oklahoma
Offline
Posted 28 days ago , edited 28 days ago

Jonas711 wrote:


onepiece_fan wrote:

I don't think I personally own any US flags right now. Haven't really even thought about it, to be honest. It's not important to me.

If that was the point he was making, he most certainly has a point. A number of people in the US act like the flag is something sacred/holy and they practically worship it. That's not even an exaggeration, it is too accurate and I don't understand it one bit.


Sure, a few people are that way, then you've got the other side of total disrespect. I think for the average person, it has an important meaning. At least for the average American, maybe not the average whatever other country we're talking about.

Visit a military cemetery or a place like Pearl Harbor. You might see things in a different light.


A military cemetery? Like Arlington? I've been there. The only thing related to flags that caught my attention while in D.C. was the original one they had on display in a museum, and I cared about it because it was a historical object right in front of my eyes, not because it is the US flag.

I imagine this worshiping has to come from some undying loyalty to one's country, and I look at my country's history and present and I think the country and the people in it have done plenty of despicable, even evil things - both within and to outside countries. There's plenty of good, too and I'm happy to have been born in a first world country, but I refuse to worship the country itself. It has many, many flaws.

In short, if the US flag is symbolic of anything to me, it is the country itself, and it is not anywhere near purely good nor has ever been at any point in its history.
10255 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
20 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 28 days ago , edited 8 days ago

Ryulightorb wrote:


No, it doesn't. Loving one's country is completely fine, and there's nothing wrong with it,
280 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / F / Brazil
Offline
Posted 28 days ago , edited 27 days ago

Ryulightorb wrote:


MonoDreams wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:

no such a weird thing to do and cringy


How? Doesn't make any sense.
Anyway, no, but I want to get one.


Because owning a flag of your own country comes off as nationalistic which isn't a desirable attribute to have, taking excessive pride in ones own country.

I understand loving your country but most people who love their country to death don't own flags generally it's only the people who say MY COUNTRY IS BEST EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IS INFERIOR who do.

However this may be cultural that's just how it is where i live so to me i see it as kind of cringy.

It may be different for other countries i haven't travelled around enough to know so my only real judgement is based off of my country i hope that explains why i see it as cringy :).



Same here! I agree with you.

but In my country, it can also be viewed as a 'government support' thing, I dunno if it's the same for other people. It's like you said, people who love their country don't own flags.
Vahvi 
10669 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 - ? - Lurking
Offline
Posted 28 days ago , edited 28 days ago
Eh, I pay taxes, that's enough.
511 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 21 days ago , edited 20 days ago

onepiece_fan wrote:


Jonas711 wrote:


onepiece_fan wrote:

I don't think I personally own any US flags right now. Haven't really even thought about it, to be honest. It's not important to me.

If that was the point he was making, he most certainly has a point. A number of people in the US act like the flag is something sacred/holy and they practically worship it. That's not even an exaggeration, it is too accurate and I don't understand it one bit.


Sure, a few people are that way, then you've got the other side of total disrespect. I think for the average person, it has an important meaning. At least for the average American, maybe not the average whatever other country we're talking about.

Visit a military cemetery or a place like Pearl Harbor. You might see things in a different light.


A military cemetery? Like Arlington? I've been there. The only thing related to flags that caught my attention while in D.C. was the original one they had on display in a museum, and I cared about it because it was a historical object right in front of my eyes, not because it is the US flag.

I imagine this worshiping has to come from some undying loyalty to one's country, and I look at my country's history and present and I think the country and the people in it have done plenty of despicable, even evil things - both within and to outside countries. There's plenty of good, too and I'm happy to have been born in a first world country, but I refuse to worship the country itself. It has many, many flaws.

In short, if the US flag is symbolic of anything to me, it is the country itself, and it is not anywhere near purely good nor has ever been at any point in its history.


Wow. That's stunning on several levels. Equating pride to superiority and calling it worship. Interesting. Well, some kind of thing. But hey, you are entitled to your opinion, at least you're still allowed to have one and express it...
3757 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / F
Offline
Posted 19 days ago , edited 19 days ago
No I have no use for an American flag
26 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 19 days ago , edited 18 days ago
Nope
41298 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 18 days ago , edited 18 days ago
Yeah, but my Swedish flag is bigger than my American flag.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.