First  Prev  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  Next  Last

What happened to all the gentlemen in the world?

Posted 9/27/10 , edited 9/27/10
The gentlemen are still alive i still believe chivalry quite a bit just that women often dont pay attention to them..women have to admit you all have a weird thing for a bad boys and when that not working out you go off to find a gentlemen despit that guy might be under your noses its cliched yet true
Posted 9/27/10 , edited 9/27/10
They're still there. You just have to try your best to fend off confrontation with the cute assholes and remember that good guys still exist.

And BE REAL with yourself. The reason most cute guys are jerks is because women who obviously lack self-respect will bend over backwards for a date and they think they're head shit. That's not to say that there are no more handsome gentlemen. It's just that you have to realize that not every handsome guy is a nice one. It can be hard, I know.


TheQuantomKing wrote:

The gentlemen are still alive i still believe chivalry quite a bit just that women often dont pay attention to them..women have to admit you all have a weird thing for a bad boys and when that not working out you go off to find a gentlemen despit that guy might be under your noses its cliched yet true


Unlike this one ^ Cute and sweet as can be. =)
40724 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / El salvador
Offline
Posted 9/27/10 , edited 9/27/10

animateluv9 wrote:

That day, my friend asked me a weird question...
What happened to all the gentlemen in the world?
and i said they are probably dead...
and other said..it juz that you didn't open your eyes and see....
and she ask another guy friend of mine to keep something
and told him that he is saving the pride of few and rare to find gentlemen left in the world....
my other friend said that has nothing to do with saving the pride of all the gentlemen....

so let me ask again!
What happened to all the gentlemen in the world?

here is another friend's logic..

If you are a gentlemen, throw yourself into the bin...

Ps. I am not being a sexist or anything..i juz felt that the gentlemen race is dying.
Nah we are still out there. girls just have to try harder to find us(and not buy into the lies of Players)

67519 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
38 / M / US
Offline
Posted 9/27/10 , edited 9/27/10
Things my father and grandfather taught me:

Real men can hold their liqueur without acting stupid or getting violent.
Real men wear a watch (at least when dressed for going out).
Real men know how to shine shoes, tie a necktie, and know table etiquette (salad fork, dinner fork, etc.).
Real men should (if at all possible) own at least one good formal suit (which is fashionably stable over time -- zoot and liesure suits don't count)
Real men carry a pocket knife (not a weapon, a pocket knife, 2" is plenty)
Real men don't wear sandals in inappropriate places. Beaches, pools, BBQ's its ok. While working, at bars, in nightclubs, or around town, sandals are a no-no for men. Present a grown-up and (somewhat) professional appearance when seen publicly.
Real men don't make idle threats. If you're going to do something, stop talking. The strong don't have to brag about being strong.
Real men don't buckle or succumb to threats.
Real men do not take promises or oaths lightly and are loyal once an oath is given

While I am only 28, I come from an older generation. My father was almost 40 when I was conceived and both my grandfathers were WWII veterans. I think that the lack of gentleman in this age is caused by several factors. First I blame the hippies (mostly because I hate hippies, but there are some valid reasons). Those of us in the old school were taught, "Never start a fight, but always finish it." Ever since the hippies grew up to become politicians the saying has changed to, "violence never solves anything." This is merely one example of the overall change in social norms in the last decades. Older generations were realists who worried about getting things done while younger generations are becoming more liberal and idealistic and worry about what would be nice. This shift toward idealism has also influenced etiquette. Once upon a time, Men were expected to maintain a certain standard of appearance and professionalism. Men worked to support their families. Work and private life were kept separate under old capitalist views. Now idealists talk of "work-life balance" and encourage "casual" behavior in the workplace. This integration of private and public lives has caused an erosion of formalities (such as chivalry, wearing ties, etc.). Meanwhile education systems (especially in the US) have become less effective since hippie-parents removed the schools' ability to punish students -- leading to less resourceful and less disciplined adult males. Also, the increase in urban population has occurred with the change in the US economy. The US economy was manufacturing-based in post WWII years, but with the rise of electronics the US has shifted to be a knowledge/technology and service based economy. This means that to compete in the current job market, young males are more specialized and less generalized -- so the pocket knives, watches, and home repair skills have become less common. The feminist movement and sexual-harassment laws have ended chivalry. I saw a man fired because some high-strung woman overheard (not directed at her) a conversation about the man's girlfriend over lunch. I knew a man who was disciplined because he worked in the same building with his WIFE and gave her a goodbye kiss at the end of a lunch break. Quite frankly it has become illegal to be a "gentleman" in this age. Any compliment, comment, or action that offends someone can result in a lawsuit, so men cannot afford to hold doors for women anymore. The shift toward idealism, the increase in urbanization, the shift in the economy, and the increase in legal/"tolerance"/feminist issues have all contributed to the death of the concept of a "gentleman."
14344 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / F / in the TARDIS wit...
Offline
Posted 9/27/10 , edited 9/27/10
They are a dying breed indeed, and that's understandable. We can't stop that. What's more important is that we accept each other regardless of who we are or how we act.
1468 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / Chillin anywhere...
Offline
Posted 9/27/10 , edited 9/27/10
they are a dying breed but there are few of us who are still gents
3257 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 9/27/10 , edited 9/28/10

jellydrop_gravity wrote:

They are a dying breed indeed, and that's understandable. We can't stop that. What's more important is that we accept each other regardless of who we are or how we act.


I refuse to accept anyone who acts immature, stupid, un-gentleman-like, or any other dumb mentalities in a effort to try and be cool or accepted or relevant or etc.

So don't sit there and tell me we can't stop the gentleman from dying, and we have to accept people reguardless of how they act. It's that type of defeatist, "I don't give a shit" attitude that is part of the reason we have the problems we have in the world today.
14344 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / F / in the TARDIS wit...
Offline
Posted 9/28/10 , edited 9/28/10

squirrel3d wrote:


jellydrop_gravity wrote:

They are a dying breed indeed, and that's understandable. We can't stop that. What's more important is that we accept each other regardless of who we are or how we act.


I refuse to accept anyone who acts immature, stupid, un-gentleman-like, or any other dumb mentalities in a effort to try and be cool or accepted or relevant or etc.

So don't sit there and tell me we can't stop the gentleman from dying, and we have to accept people reguardless of how they act. It's that type of defeatist, "I don't give a shit" attitude that is part of the reason we have the problems we have in the world today.


If only it were that easy to change the world. It's hard to truly, perfectly believe in people. But I still try to understand them and maybe in little ways help them.

And it's not that I don't care either and just watch from the sidelines. I'm purely saying that I don't like to discriminate and shun away people just because they're not agreeable. I'd treat them the same way I want to be treated, even if they may not treat me the same way.

I'm sorry if I hurt your ego in any way, btw, and I won't say you're wrong either. You have a good point and you've got it across well. I understand what you're saying. :)


3257 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 9/28/10 , edited 9/28/10
Okay...you're saying that everyone is not agreeable. Fine. But you said we can't stop the gentleman from dying. Oh yes we can, believe me, we can stop it if all of us guys work together and change the fabric of our culture (as it stands now, being a gentleman is a crime to this psychonutty view of life).

And then you said it's important that we accept each other reguardless of our behavior. Are you telling me I have to accept someone even if ..say...they tell me "You need to dress "black" to be relevant cuz you are black, or else"?

You sound like a sweetheart, which is one of the things I look for when wanting to be with a female, but that sweetness can backfire on you.
66542 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Motherwell, Scotland
Offline
Posted 9/28/10 , edited 9/28/10
In my own opinion, I think that the word gentleman is rather vague. I'm well known for being rather charasmatic, but according to my "wife to be" im not overly romantic, So does that make me not a gentleman?

IT'S ALL OPINION AND PREFERENCE
3229 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / F / Europe~
Offline
Posted 9/28/10 , edited 9/28/10
There are few of that fine sepcimen called gentleman left on this earth.
I hope it's not a dying breed because what kind of place would this world be without true gentlemen?
I've met few gentlemen in my life (although I'm still young) and I hope to meet many more because I honestly prefer a gentleman over a bad guy. Bad guy is just a nicer word for jerk. If girls say they like bad guys then they just haven't met a real one yet. Those who like them have to be a real M.

CHIVALRY IS NOT DEAD!
2031 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / In your mind all...
Offline
Posted 9/28/10 , edited 9/28/10
Well they are in danger of extinction. Although I accept I am a womanizer both online AND in real life, I dont mess with people's feelings unless that person is looking for the same thing I am.
Posted 9/28/10 , edited 9/28/10
They say chivalry is dead and that women killed it; I have to agree.
If there happen to be good men, women tend to ignore them.
2109 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 9/28/10 , edited 9/29/10
The birth of gentlemen in America ceased to exist after 1945. For the rest of the world...i don't know.
14344 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / F / in the TARDIS wit...
Offline
Posted 9/28/10 , edited 9/29/10

squirrel3d wrote:

Okay...you're saying that everyone is not agreeable. Fine. But you said we can't stop the gentleman from dying. Oh yes we can, believe me, we can stop it if all of us guys work together and change the fabric of our culture (as it stands now, being a gentleman is a crime to this psychonutty view of life).

And then you said it's important that we accept each other reguardless of our behavior. Are you telling me I have to accept someone even if ..say...they tell me "You need to dress "black" to be relevant cuz you are black, or else"?

You sound like a sweetheart, which is one of the things I look for when wanting to be with a female, but that sweetness can backfire on you.


Thank you for the compliment. I hope that someday there will be more gentlemen in the world, and of course I'd do my own part in being a better person or to be a gentlewoman since I understand well that it's not the men's fault alone.

And I do know someday my being extra considerate on others might harm me. Thank you for reminding me. It doesn't mean I'll stop doing extra good when I can though. I admit, I may not know much but the least I can do is be good to others as I have been taught.

First  Prev  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.