First  Prev  159  160  161  162  163  164  165  166  167  168  169  170  171  Next  Last
Post Reply Weekly Shonen Jump Rankings
88 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 1/27/17 , edited 1/27/17
With the ToC for WSJ 2017 Issue 9 now out, I thought now would be a good time to share a little project that I've been working on that I'm sure people in this thread (including viva_cmpunker) would enjoy. So without further ado:

Have you ever wanted to see how your favourite Weekly Shonen Jump series has been fairing popularity-wise (ToC rank-wise) in the past 2 years? Have you ever wanted to directly compare its performance with another series without having to look at individual ranks from the past 2 years?

Well now you can!

First some background. It is widely believed that the placement of a series on the WSJ ToC is reflective of its rankings from votes sent in to the Jump Office by its readers (with some variation appearing due to series genre, flow of the magazine, chief editor's preference, colour pages, etc). It is also widely believed that the rankings on the current issue of WSJ are for the chapters that were serialized 7 issues prior (there is some evidence in the rankings that this is a plausible assumption). It is common knowledge that if a series (especially a new series) is ranking near the bottom of the ToC long enough it will sooner or later be cancelled. So in short, ranking near the bottom = bad, ranking near the top = good.

I wanted to know if looking at the rankings in the long term could show us anything about how a particular series is performing at a given time. How well does a new series need to rank before it get's cancelled? How do the rankings differ between the series? Which series is WSJ giving more attention to at given time regarding high ToC rankings and colour pages?

viva_cmpunker has been posting rankings in this thread for the past 3.5 years. Using the fruits of his commitment (as well as others in this thread), I have created a few interactive graphs that show how WSJ series have performed rank-wise for the past 2 years of data.

Centered Moving Average (7) of WSJ Ranks (2015- 2016)
Centered Moving Median (7) of WSJ Ranks (2015- 2016)

Now, some further information:
  • Rankings were assigned using the 7 week rule used by viva_cmpunker rank lists.
  • If a series was absent 7 issues prior, no rank was assigned.
  • If a series had a center colour page/spead, it was taken to be a rank of 0.5 to show that WSJ was giving it some attention.
  • If a series had a lead colour page/cover page/spread, it was taken to be a rank of 0 to show that it was the main attraction of that issue.
  • As rankings can fluctuate considerably between issues for certain series, a moving average/median of 7 issues of ranks (as the moving average is centered, average is of previous 3 issues, current issue and next 3 issues) was taken and plotted on the interactive graphs. The rationale being: just because a series places badly or gets colour pages once, it doesn't mean that there were any significant long term changes in its popularity.
  • The average is a better measure of how much attention the WSJ staff are giving to a particular series due to the effects of the colour pages.
  • The median is less affected by outliers and is more indicative of the series' "actual" performace.


Afterwards, I wondered if there was some sort of health score I could give the series as well as standardise the rankings according to how many rankings were given in a particular issue. My solution:

Series Health (%) = 1 - (SeriesRank / LastPlace)

And the resulting graphs:

Centered Moving Average (7) of WSJ Series Health (2015- 2016)
Centered Moving Median (7) of WSJ Series Health (2015- 2016)

Key findings:
  • As expected, One Piece is king. Also as expected, Bleach was royally screwed in its final year of serialization.
  • At the end of the year, there appears to be 2 tiers of series that have formed in WSJ: Top Tier = One Piece, My Hero Academia, Black Clover, Haikyuu!, Kimetsu no Yaiba (just sneaked in!) and The Promised Neverland (darling new series!). 2nd Tier = the rest including, shockingly, Shokugeki no Souma (Central Arc hurt it a lot).
  • There is a dead zone for Series Health (below 15-20%). If a new series starts off in the dead zone, its pretty much screwed. i.e. See you later Amalgam.
  • Just because a new series starts off with a few bad rankings, as long as the average over 7 periods lifts you above the dead zone, you're good (e.g. Samon-kun wa Summoner) So, Spring Weapon will probably survive and Demon's Plan is not 'dead on arrival' just yet.

It will be interesting to see how the magazine will change with the upcoming 6 new series.
19 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 1/27/17 , edited 1/27/17
I hope Ole Golazo won't get axed, i like the series so far
162 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/28/17 , edited 1/28/17
I am getting a very strong "Oga & Hilda" vibe from the two pictured for "Hungry Marie". Wonder if it's just me projecting or the author just loves that type of design.
56 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/17 , edited 1/30/17

VongolaPrim0 wrote:

I am getting a very strong "Oga & Hilda" vibe from the two pictured for "Hungry Marie". Wonder if it's just me projecting or the author just loves that type of design.

I am loving it, though
FMB-24 
491 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/30/17 , edited 1/31/17
I feel sorry for the rookies because they stand almost no chance against Dr. stone and the other two GOOD vets....
2664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
118 / M
Offline
Posted 1/30/17 , edited 1/30/17
I think what might hurt them worse is that the new series descriptions from the newbies doesn't sound all too interesting and neither does the art. The vets have experience turning simple things into stories people really like so there's more to get excited about.

But we'll see.
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/31/17 , edited 2/1/17
Shounen Jump Issue 10:
Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai (Cover, Lead CP, New Series)
Haikyuu!!
One Piece
Boku no Hero Academia (CP)
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Shokugeki no Souma
Black Clover (CP)
Hinomaru Zumou
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Gintama
Spring Weapon Number One
Yakusoku no Neverland (CP)
Sesuji wo Pin! to
Samon-kun wa Summoner
Ole Golazo
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Isobe Isobee Monogatari (CP)
Ibitsu no Amalgam
Demon's Plan

Shounen Jump Issue 11:
Cover, Lead CP: U19 (New Series)
CP: Haikyuu!!, Hinomaru Zumou, Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai
Extra Page: Sesuji wo Pin! to
96 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/6/17 , edited 2/7/17

banzaimang wrote:

Shounen Jump Issue 9:
Gintama (Cover, Lead CP)
One Piece
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Boku no Hero Academia
Haikyuu!!
Boruto (CP)
Yakusoku no Neverland
Asagaya Geijutsu Koukou Eizou-ka e Youkoso (CP, One Shot)
Black Clover
Shokugeki no Souma (CP)
Samon-kun wa Summoner
Sesuji wo Pin! to
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Hinomaru Zumou
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Spring Weapon Number One
Ibitsu no Amalgam
Ole Golazo
Demon's Plan
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Shounen Jump Issue 10:
Cover, Lead CP: Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai (New Series by Tsutsui Taishi (author of Magical Pâtissière Kosaki-chan))
CP: Isobe Isobee Monogatari, Boku no Hero Academia, Black Clover, Yakusoku no Neverland

Shounen Jump Issue 11:
New Series: U19 (by Kimura Yuuji)

Shounen Jump Issue 12
New Series: Poro no Ryuugaku-ki (by Gondaira Hitsuji)

Shounen Jump Issue 13:
New Series: Harapeko no Marry (by Tamura Ryuuhei (author of Beelzebub))

Shounen Jump Issue 14:
New Series: Dr. Stone (by Inagaki Riichirou (story; story author of Eyeshield 21) and Boichi (artwork; author of Sun-Ken Rock))

Shounen Jump Issue 16:
New Series: Robot×Laserbeam (by Fujimaki Tadatoshi (author of Kuroko no Basket))


Damn, That's a LOT of new series coming a the same time. LMAO

I just hope to God that Yuragi-Sou is safe.
28640 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 2/7/17 , edited 2/7/17

MarquisNYC wrote:

I just hope to God that Yuragi-Sou is safe.


The one out this time is Sesuji wo Pin! to.

2664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
118 / M
Offline
Posted 2/7/17 , edited 2/7/17

DarkSasword wrote:


MarquisNYC wrote:

I just hope to God that Yuragi-Sou is safe.


The one out this time is Sesuji wo Pin! to.

Well to be fair other series will be ending too. Almost certainly two of them will be Demon's Plan and Amalgam of Distortion.

50 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/7/17 , edited 2/8/17
We Never Learn was disappointing, not that it was bad but it was very average. First chapter read more like a one-shot than the start of a series, and I can't see what would be interesting about this long term.

U19 is the only one of the titles by the 3 newbies I'm looking forward too now, because Poro doesn't seem all that interesting.
111 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/7/17 , edited 2/8/17
Shounen Jump Issue 11:
U19 (Cover, Lead CP, New Series, 54p)
Black Clover
One Piece
Haikyuu!! (CP)
Yakusoku no Neverland
Shokugeki no Souma
Boku-tachi wa Benkyou ga Dekinai (CP, 25p)
Boku no Hero Academia
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Hinomaru Zumou (CP)
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Sesuji wo Pin! to (End, 23p)
Samon-kun wa Summoner
Gintama
Saiki Kusuo no Sainan
Ibitsu no Amalgam
Spring Weapon Number One
Ole Golazo
Demon's Plan
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Shounen Jump Issue 12:
Cover, Lead CP: Poro no Ryuugaku-ki (New Series, 54p)
CP: Shokugeki no Souma, Kimetsu no Yaiba, U19
96 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/8/17 , edited 2/8/17

themadscientist12 wrote:


MarquisNYC wrote:


Cowarecool wrote:



Honestly Black Clover is bad... The only praise I have for it is its art and setting. BUT, it's still enjoyable, for me anyway. The story is cliche, fights are not well thought out. I don't think you'll find anyone saying it's amazing, but that doesn't mean it's not worth reading. I'm glad I read it, and it's my guilty pleasure, but yeh. It's a bit like Naruto with Fairy Tail's crappy nakama power. Check it out for yourself and see what you think.


Whoa, just because you personally don't like something, doesn't mean it's bad.

Personally, Black Clover is a fun series. If you say it's bad because "cliché" well need I remind you not everything is original in the world of fiction. There has always been something that was inspired by a previous work.



It could go the other way too, as in just because you personally like something doesn't mean it's good. Also they never said they disliked it. It's perfectly ok to like something and still be aware of flaws and sometimes a simple enjoyable series is all that's needed.


No, bro. lol

Because at the of the day, it's all a matter of opinion. When it comes to Japanese cartoons and comics. Cowarecool and some others may think Black Clover is bad, me and some others think Black Clover is fairly good. It's whatever fits your personal tastes, never fall for which opinion is more popular.

Also you must've misread his comment. He clearly did say Black Clover is bad. Which technically means he dislikes it.
96 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 2/8/17 , edited 2/8/17

DarkSasword wrote:


MarquisNYC wrote:

I just hope to God that Yuragi-Sou is safe.


The one out this time is Sesuji wo Pin! to.



That's crazy. Seeing that it's doing fairly well in the rankings and lasting for over a year. Could be the author's decision to end it.

Very unexpected but the series I assume would be on the way out is Demon's Plan, Amalgam Of Distortion, Spring Weapon, World Trigger, and Gintama. And to a much lesser extent, Hunter X Hunter.

Jump should've kept Toriko or Bleach and got rid of HxH instead.
2664 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
118 / M
Offline
Posted 2/8/17 , edited 2/8/17
World Trigger is on hiatus and is selling really well. There's no chance it would be canceled like that. If anything it'll change magazines when it comes back.

Straighten Up ended naturally. It wasn't even put in the back of the magazine like most canceled series are when they end.
First  Prev  159  160  161  162  163  164  165  166  167  168  169  170  171  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.