First  Prev  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  Next  Last

Weekly Shonen Jump Rankings

Post Reply
194 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/14/16 , edited 1/14/16
Toriko got number 7!!!! Keep it up, Toriko!
16556 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
29 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 1/14/16 , edited 1/14/16
Black cover the next hottest thing next to MHA? :O
57642 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/16 , edited 1/18/16

raciel218 wrote:


GamerTimeUSA wrote:


roinujo1 wrote:

That Black Clover ranking, though.....wow


WTF #1???? WSJ must be smoking



Gotta disagree, man. While Black Clover certainly isn't as good as MHA, it has been picking up quite a bit as of late. It's gotten pretty hard to disrespect it.

Based on the timing of the ranking, I think it may actually be for the penultimate chapter of an arc. If not, it may also be for a later chapter that was't particularly action packed, but was really funny.


I've been... mostly reading all of Black Clover so far. I've been mostly skimming through it recently though because it's so generic (which I can put up with to an extent) but recently has also been very boring. I don't understand how it keeps getting such good rankings when it's really the most generic and bland manga ever. I assume the recent rankings must be because the glasses girl is popular?

It's sad because it could be a good manga if the creator actually cared to slow it down a bit, explain things, actually give some character development, etc... Even the cute guys in the story are not interesting enough to keep interest in reading it.

At least the art is detailed and nice?
799 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / To the left. Not...
Offline
Posted 1/18/16 , edited 1/19/16

otakuforlife wrote:



I've been... mostly reading all of Black Clover so far. I've been mostly skimming through it recently though because it's so generic (which I can put up with to an extent) but recently has also been very boring. I don't understand how it keeps getting such good rankings when it's really the most generic and bland manga ever. I assume the recent rankings must be because the glasses girl is popular?

It's sad because it could be a good manga if the creator actually cared to slow it down a bit, explain things, actually give some character development, etc... Even the cute guys in the story are not interesting enough to keep interest in reading it.

At least the art is detailed and nice?


Once again, gotta disagree. While I agree that the usual procedure would be to develop the whole cast and explain the workings of the magical world as the story progressed, I don't think that the author's chosen path is any less valid.

He's chosen to focus on establishing and characterizing characters without having too much major development for side characters as of yet. In the course of doing this, he's laid a great deal of groundwork for where to take the story, establishing the presence of various forces surrounding the kingdom, but never truly letting us see their true faces or understand their agendas. Even when defeated, villains are connected in such a way that they can never be truly considered "one off". There's also the mystery behind Asta's magic to consider. The mettle of this narrative will be tested when we see what the author chooses to do with the groundwork that he has built. Seeing as we now have (what seems to be) a powerful group of long-term villains, I expect that point is quickly approaching.

As far as I can see it, the biggest weakness of Black Clover as of yet is that some of it's side characters still need to be characterized, an area in which the superior MHA excels. MHA was simply in a weaker arc at the time of this rating.

Also, just as a final note, lets think about generic. When you say generic, I assume that you mean that it uses alot of predictable tropes in it's story. However, lets never forget why those tropes exist. They are only as generic as they are because they work, and while it will always be more interesting to subvert tropes, making good use of them will never be a bad idea, and that's likely to be a factor in why Black Clover can rank so high. If you have a hard time slipping out of the tropes, then play them to your strength. A reader will at least appreciate that you aren't trying to be something you aren't.

At the end of the day, enjoyment will vary from person to person.
313 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/16 , edited 1/18/16
Well i just binge-read Black Clover in a few hours a few days ago and loved it. Sure its generic, but frankly I don't give a crap because its still more enjoyable than other non-generic stuff. I don't really care how well/bad made something is, if its enjoyable alls good. Its what I thought Fairy Tail would be before I started it, with it taking the more traditional approach to magic and sorcery. Gotta say I love the world thats been developed and the characters are all pretty likeable, and it hasn't had any corny moments that make you gag. I've also been lead to believe certain things would happen and they didn't actually end up happening how I thought they would so I guess thats good writing? I can see why its getting the good rankings, Its far from perfect but very enjoyable.
58 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/16 , edited 1/19/16
THe latest chapter of Black Clover was definetely enjoyable!!
57642 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 1/18/16 , edited 1/19/16

raciel218 wrote:
There's also the mystery behind Asta's magic to consider.


This is something I have actually been very interested in and the author could be doing something great with.... instead, it's being put on the back burner.

And I am sorry, after issue #7's chapter I am convinced now that this manga is just a complete Naruto rip-off. Asta may as well be named Naruto and the last two pages.... come on..............
799 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / To the left. Not...
Offline
Posted 1/18/16 , edited 1/19/16

otakuforlife wrote:


raciel218 wrote:
There's also the mystery behind Asta's magic to consider.


This is something I have actually been very interested in and the author could be doing something great with.... instead, it's being put on the back burner.

And I am sorry, after issue #7's chapter I am convinced now that this manga is just a complete Naruto rip-off. Asta may as well be named Naruto and the last two pages.... come on..............


I don't see what's wrong with the final two pages. They're spreads to show off a flashy attack - pretty shounen standard.

As for the Naruto comparison, I certainly won't argue that Asta's character is based off of Naruto and the first few chapters are a bit too close for comfort, but I would also argue that it does well to diverge past that point. After the Mist Arc (which I honestly thought of as more of an homage than anything) I don't really see any solid plot comparisons that could be made to early Naruto. Is there some comparison to the Post-Timeskip section that I'm missing?

On a direct character to character basis of comparison, while both are hopelessly upbeat and optimistic, the main difference between Naruto and Asta is skill. While both have some odd stored power, Asta's is fully controllable and useful as soon as he unlocks it, while Naruto's is only useful in a pinch when the series begins. Naruto as a character has to rely on a great deal more cleverness than Asta, who depends more on surprising his enemies with his magical ability and physical strength, and this causes not just the two characters, but the two series to boast pretty dramatically different philosophies in terms of how fights are carried out early on, with battles in Black Clover being altogether much more straightforward (for better or worse). No Shikamarus here.

Yuno could be compared to Sasuke, but honestly I think he's just the classic rival -- a prodigy who bears some similarity to the protagonist who serves as a constant challenge to overcome/ bar to meet. He could just as easily be compared to Uryu. However, whereas Sasuke served as a foil to Naruto, Yuno and Asta's strong, clearly established friendship and mutual understanding makes it seem that this won't be the case for them, though the dynamic isn't as interesting to watch.

I'll give you the comparison between Noelle and Sakura though. Relatively useless female companions who eventually grow stronger. However, it is worth noting that Noelle's growth happened a great deal quicker than Sakura's.

In the end though, I can certainly see why you don't like it, we just have different tastes. As much as I can see the similarities between this series and Naruto, I'm nowhere near prepared to call it a rip off (and Naruto was one of the shows that got my anime career going, so I'd be really angry if I thought I was seeing some notable plagiarism. The only thing I'd take more offence to would be a Zatch Bell rip off). I guess we'll just have to wait and see on this one.

In the meantime though, seriously, what did you find so bad about this weeks chapter? I was a bit annoyed by the narration but I could see it for space/time conserving purposes as I know that Yoki Tarata's Hungry Joker also had fast pacing, but what was it about the last two pages?
313 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 1/19/16 , edited 1/19/16
I think he was talking about the Shadow Clone thing that happened. Anyway, I agree with ^, despite the first few chapters having striking similarities, I've felt the series has diverged more than enough in the last 30 or so chapters to warrant no further comparison. I don't go trying to find comparisons, but none have been obvious enough for me to go ughh. Still doesn't really matter if it's a ripoff, I mean it's ripping off one of the best selling manga of all time...
88 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 1/19/16 , edited 1/19/16
If I had to make a comparison, Black Clover to WSJ is just like Mad Max (Video Game) to all video games in 2015: its perfectly serviceable to the audience but not creative or fresh enough for 2015 critically.

Somehow I've managed to keep up with the series but I have no idea why. It really has nothing that it call its own; almost every facet of it comes from another popular shonen manga in recent times. And yet, its doing well and I''m up to date with it.
AJBUB 
14145 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/19/16 , edited 1/19/16

OMEYG wrote:

If I had to make a comparison, Black Clover to WSJ is just like Mad Max (Video Game) to all video games in 2015: its perfectly serviceable to the audience but not creative or fresh enough for 2015 critically.

Somehow I've managed to keep up with the series but I have no idea why. It really has nothing that it call its own; almost every facet of it comes from another popular shonen manga in recent times. And yet, its doing well and I''m up to date with it.

I would say that is a good comparison. It seems that the series struggles to have its own identity and that is why so many people say it is copying other series.

50410 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / Whole Cake Island
Offline
Posted 1/21/16 , edited 2/2/16
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #8 (January 25th, 2016):
Gintama (Cover, Lead CP, 12th Anniversary)
1- One Piece
2- Assassination Classroom
Black Clover (Center Color, 24 p.)
3- Haikyu!!
4- My Hero Academia
Renaihaitatsunin Posuo (One-Shot, Center Color, 35 p.)
5- Mononofu
6- Toriko
7- The Mishaps of Kusuo Saiki
8- Hinomaru Sumo
9- Samon the Summoner
10- Bleach
Anokoha Yariman (Special Chapter, 15 p.) (Original series published in Jump+)
11- Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club
12- Kochikame
13- Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma
World Trigger (Not ranked. Was absent in issue #52)
14- Nisekoi
15- Buddy Strike
Chronicle of Isobe -Life is Hard-
??? x ??? (???)

WSJ #8 Cover:



ESJ #8 Cover:




Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #9 (February 1st, 2016):
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead CP)
Straighten Up! Welcome to Shika High's Competitive Dance Club (Center Color)
Tsutengai SCRAP by Shouichi Usui (One-Shot, Center Color, 47 p.)

WSJ #9 Preview:



ESJ #9 Preview:
6010 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / Conneticut
Offline
Posted 1/21/16 , edited 1/21/16
at least Bleach isn't dead bottom this week
194 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 1/21/16 , edited 1/21/16
Glad to see Toriko holding it's spot up there.

Hopefully Shokugeki can get it together. I just got caught up to that series and like it a lot. It should be fine though since it's getting a second season.
58 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 1/21/16 , edited 1/22/16
Why is Shoukugeki No Soma ranked so low.....the arc isnt that bad. Hell, Ill even say its pretty good. One of the top 5 jump series in my opinion. Damn, I hope this isn't a bad omen.

Good ranking for Toriko though. Much love.
First  Prev  83  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  91  92  93  94  95  96  97  98  99  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.