First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last

What Are Your Thoughts on Racism?

29926 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15

MP7373 wrote:

I really want to post racist images just because I think they are hilarious. The only problem is there are people who don't understand the concept of ironic humour and can misinterpret the posting of those images as support of the ideas.

fuck it



This is pretty bad though (whoever made this image seems serious...)


Something tells me you don't fully understand that image. I mean to find that shit hilarious on any level... This isn't the Boondocks...
3094 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15
I think we all believe racism is stupid, but I don't think it's as big of a problem in the US as people still think. I live in the south, where most people believe everyone is racist. Racism isn't that prevalent at all. Of course I know people like my grandparents who say things that some would consider offensive, but it's not because they're racists. I think we need to understand that lots of people called people the N word because that's just what they were called, just like how I'm called a white guy. I'm sure there are still racists around, but I can't say I know any legitimate racists.
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15
Apparently it still exists but its much further beneath the surface than it has been in the past, and its not going away. I can't say if its better or not. But it seems to be better than in the last two centuries. It seems that way, anyway. In some places and in recent times racial tensions still run deep.
23037 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M / New Gridania / H...
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15
I always found it odd that whenever we use terms like "n*gger, tw*nk*, *ch*gga, and stuff like that, the intended racial group use it internally and find it okay. I mean do they think that saying it's okay between members of the intended audience, but not okay for external groups? Bit conceited obviously and of course it doesn't apply to everyone, but you still see it used a lot. Apparently it raises a fuss just because it can. Call it hate, call it racism, but clean it out internally before complaining about external users.
29926 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15

Stay_Night wrote:

I think we all believe racism is stupid, but I don't think it's as big of a problem in the US as people still think. I live in the south, where most people believe everyone is racist. Racism isn't that prevalent at all. Of course I know people like my grandparents who say things that some would consider offensive, but it's not because they're racists. I think we need to understand that lots of people called people the N word because that's just what they were called, just like how I'm called a white guy. I'm sure there are still racists around, but I can't say I know any legitimate racists.


Denial born out of ignorance. This is why racism still exists.
23037 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M / New Gridania / H...
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15

MysticGon wrote:


Stay_Night wrote:

I think we all believe racism is stupid, but I don't think it's as big of a problem in the US as people still think. I live in the south, where most people believe everyone is racist. Racism isn't that prevalent at all. Of course I know people like my grandparents who say things that some would consider offensive, but it's not because they're racists. I think we need to understand that lots of people called people the N word because that's just what they were called, just like how I'm called a white guy. I'm sure there are still racists around, but I can't say I know any legitimate racists.


Denial born out of ignorance. This is why racism still exists.


I think he originally meant that the terms can be used, but are not indicative of intentional harm. Of course someone can take it the wrong way in passing, but does that equal racism?

I can definitely disagree that his point is not the reason why racism exists still.
29926 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15

Bluearmy wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


Stay_Night wrote:

I think we all believe racism is stupid, but I don't think it's as big of a problem in the US as people still think. I live in the south, where most people believe everyone is racist. Racism isn't that prevalent at all. Of course I know people like my grandparents who say things that some would consider offensive, but it's not because they're racists. I think we need to understand that lots of people called people the N word because that's just what they were called, just like how I'm called a white guy. I'm sure there are still racists around, but I can't say I know any legitimate racists.


Denial born out of ignorance. This is why racism still exists.


I think he originally meant that the terms can be used, but are not indicative of intentional harm. Of course someone can take it the wrong way in passing, but does that equal racism?

I can definitely disagree that his point is not the reason why racism exists still.


The "us vs them" mentality when applied to race = racism. Just like when applied to sex, it's sexism and so on. The only distinction they make, identify and use to classify is the color of their skin, their ethnicity. So I'm just going to have to disagree right on back.
3094 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15

MysticGon wrote:


Stay_Night wrote:

I think we all believe racism is stupid, but I don't think it's as big of a problem in the US as people still think. I live in the south, where most people believe everyone is racist. Racism isn't that prevalent at all. Of course I know people like my grandparents who say things that some would consider offensive, but it's not because they're racists. I think we need to understand that lots of people called people the N word because that's just what they were called, just like how I'm called a white guy. I'm sure there are still racists around, but I can't say I know any legitimate racists.


Denial born out of ignorance. This is why racism still exists.


Because I totally just stated that racism doesn't exist anymore. We all know it still exists (And I even said that in my post), but if you think it is as prevalent as it was 10,20, 30, or 50 years ago, I don't know what to tell you. I do know one thing though, and that is to actually read before you post.

But I think we're thinking of different definition of racism. I would only be referring to discrimination, simply because there are differences between races and that would be silly to argue. In that sense sure I'm a racist, but I don't believe racism in the form of discrimination is as big of an issue, which is good.
29926 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15

Stay_Night wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


Stay_Night wrote:

I think we all believe racism is stupid, but I don't think it's as big of a problem in the US as people still think. I live in the south, where most people believe everyone is racist. Racism isn't that prevalent at all. Of course I know people like my grandparents who say things that some would consider offensive, but it's not because they're racists. I think we need to understand that lots of people called people the N word because that's just what they were called, just like how I'm called a white guy. I'm sure there are still racists around, but I can't say I know any legitimate racists.


Denial born out of ignorance. This is why racism still exists.


Because I totally just stated that racism doesn't exist anymore. We all know it still exists (And I even said that in my post), but if you think it is as prevalent as it was 10,20, 30, or 50 years ago, I don't know what to tell you. I do know one thing though, and that is to actually read before you post.


Calm down man, I'm not putting words in your mouth so could you please return the favor? I'm not suggesting you said anything you didn't. I'm pointing to your post as an example of why racism still exists. Two completely different things.
3094 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15
Yea I realize that, I re-read your post and I honestly don't understand how I got from A to B.

But anyways..

Racism in the form of discrimination as prevalent as it was in the past. Lets not argue that. But there are differences between races. People are not equal. Pretending that there isn't is silly, simply because it would be incorrect. I don't think there is anything wrong with noticing differences between me and another person such as skin color. But of course and like we all probably agree, discrimination based on it is silly.
23037 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M / New Gridania / H...
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15

MysticGon wrote:


Bluearmy wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


Stay_Night wrote:

I think we all believe racism is stupid, but I don't think it's as big of a problem in the US as people still think. I live in the south, where most people believe everyone is racist. Racism isn't that prevalent at all. Of course I know people like my grandparents who say things that some would consider offensive, but it's not because they're racists. I think we need to understand that lots of people called people the N word because that's just what they were called, just like how I'm called a white guy. I'm sure there are still racists around, but I can't say I know any legitimate racists.


Denial born out of ignorance. This is why racism still exists.


I think he originally meant that the terms can be used, but are not indicative of intentional harm. Of course someone can take it the wrong way in passing, but does that equal racism?

I can definitely disagree that his point is not the reason why racism exists still.


The "us vs them" mentality when applied to race = racism. Just like when applied to sex, it's sexism and so on. The only distinction they make, identify and use to classify is the color of their skin, their ethnicity. So I'm just going to have to disagree right on back.


It sounds to me you are justifying a "harmful" versus "non-harmful" depiction of racism/sexism. If that is the case then I can agree with the majority of your "us versus them" state.

On the other hand, as an example: when black people call each other the n-word and let it slide with each other, do you classify it as racism? Or is it only when an external group uses the term?
5558 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / The United States...
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15
I personally think racism is wrong however i believe it's natural instints from before humans became so smart so you would be careful around other people not in your pack or of the sort.
29926 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15

Bluearmy wrote:


It sounds to me you are justifying a "harmful" versus "non-harmful" depiction of racism/sexism. If that is the case then I can agree with the majority of your "us versus them" state.

On the other hand, as an example: when black people call each other the n-word and let it slide with each other, do you classify it as racism? Or is it only when an external group uses the term?


They are using a racist term, but not displaying racism because they use that word to refer to themselves as well as others they may care about. It they were using it to highlight a difference in race then yes, that would be a racist term used with racist intent. That is just how I see it.
23037 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M / New Gridania / H...
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15


I can agree with that. Intent is a driving point. Imo, it had to be eliminated and be treated evenly across every individual. Else misunderstandings of usage can occur.
3094 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 5/3/15 , edited 5/3/15

MysticGon wrote:


Bluearmy wrote:


It sounds to me you are justifying a "harmful" versus "non-harmful" depiction of racism/sexism. If that is the case then I can agree with the majority of your "us versus them" state.

On the other hand, as an example: when black people call each other the n-word and let it slide with each other, do you classify it as racism? Or is it only when an external group uses the term?


They are using a racist term, but not displaying racism because they use that word to refer to themselves as well as others they may care about. It they were using it to highlight a difference in race then yes, that would be a racist term used with racist intent. That is just how I see it.


I agree and disagree. Calling someone the n-word is racist by definition, even if it isn't discrimination. The only way I could see it not being racist is if you call all the people you care about the n-word regardless of their race. And I bet a lot of people call only their black friends niggas. I think we agree but I think the n-word is being used in a non-harmful way to a select race and not to everyone.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.