First  Prev  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next  Last

Why do people hate on Sword Art Online?

Post Reply
38028 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Frenzify wrote:

Because people expect it to be a faultless, perfect anime, despite the fact that no other anime is held up to the same ridiculous level of scrutiny.


I disagree. It because some people think it is a faultless, perfect anime that so much scrutiny is placed on Sword Art online, far more than what would regularly been applied had there not been intense devotion to the series. In other words, I can't stand the praise given to this series, hence the hatred and cries of it being overrated.


That's become an extremely tired excuse. Every thread I've ever seen about SAO has been completely derailed by the haters and, and this is always touted as the grand reason for their quest to set everyone straight on how horrible the anime is.
1802 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14
I haven't watched Sword Art Online, but I'm very curious about it. I does seem to have a lot of elements I like, but at the same time, it seems so contain too many clichés (from what I've heard. But if it contains tentacle rape (as I read somewhere above) and has only stereotypical male/female characters, than I won't watch it.).
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

Balzack wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Frenzify wrote:

Because people expect it to be a faultless, perfect anime, despite the fact that no other anime is held up to the same ridiculous level of scrutiny.


I disagree. It because some people think it is a faultless, perfect anime that so much scrutiny is placed on Sword Art online, far more than what would regularly been applied had there not been intense devotion to the series. In other words, I can't stand the praise given to this series, hence the hatred and cries of it being overrated.


That's become an extremely tired excuse. Every thread I've ever seen about SAO has been completely derailed by the haters and, and this is always touted as the grand reason for their quest to set everyone straight on how horrible the anime is.


Maybe because it is true? Anyhoo, I'm not trying to "bash" the franchise, I am voicing my opinion on why exactly I think people hate the anime. My explanation, to reiterate, is because of the excessive praise given to the franchise's story, not because of impossibly high standards as the person whom I quote has said. Although, it may playa factor, as hype generally creates high expectations, which are then let down due to not being met, but I think this is only a small part of the hatred; even then, it is more disappointment than vehement hatred from that subset.
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

petra94 wrote:

I haven't watched Sword Art Online, but I'm very curious about it. I does seem to have a lot of elements I like, but at the same time, it seems so contain too many clichés (from what I've heard. But if it contains tentacle rape (as I read somewhere above) and has only stereotypical male/female characters, than I won't watch it.).


The tentacle grope scene is only like 50 seconds long. It didn't bother me at all, but then again I am a weird person. As for stereotypical...a case could be argued for damsel in distress in the second half, though I think there are many other factors to consider other than that specific trope in use.
38028 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:



Maybe because it is true? Anyhoo, I'm not trying to "bash" the franchise, I am voicing my opinion on why exactly I think people hate the anime. My explanation, to reiterate, is because of the excessive praise given to the franchise's story, not because of impossibly high standards as the person whom I quote has said. Although, it may playa factor, as hype generally creates high expectations, which are then let down due to not being met, but I think this is only a small part of the hatred; even then, it is more disappointment than vehement hatred from that subset.


My issue is that I just haven't seen the droves of fans descending on everyone in the anime community to tout SAO as a faultless and perfect anime in the first place. So then when I go into a thread where it's like 80% hate, and fans aren't even given the opportunity to have a discourse about the anime at all, they tend to use that excuse to justify their rantings. "THIS FANDOM IS THE WORST I'M HERE TO SET EVERYONE STRAIGHT." It just doesn't make sense to me at all.
4571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


petra94 wrote:

I haven't watched Sword Art Online, but I'm very curious about it. I does seem to have a lot of elements I like, but at the same time, it seems so contain too many clichés (from what I've heard. But if it contains tentacle rape (as I read somewhere above) and has only stereotypical male/female characters, than I won't watch it.).


The tentacle grope scene is only like 50 seconds long. It didn't bother me at all, but then again I am a weird person. As for stereotypical...a case could be argued for damsel in distress in the second half, though I think there are many other factors to consider other than that specific trope in use.


I hate how people say it has tentacle rape, the tentacles lightly feel her up for maybe a minute if that. Suguo is slimier than those tentacles.
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

Balzack wrote:



Maybe because it is true? Anyhoo, I'm not trying to "bash" the franchise, I am voicing my opinion on why exactly I think people hate the anime. My explanation, to reiterate, is because of the excessive praise given to the franchise's story, not because of impossibly high standards as the person whom I quote has said. Although, it may playa factor, as hype generally creates high expectations, which are then let down due to not being met, but I think this is only a small part of the hatred; even then, it is more disappointment than vehement hatred from that subset.


My issue is that I just haven't seen the droves of fans descending on everyone in the anime community to tout SAO as a faultless and perfect anime in the first place. So then when I go into a thread where it's like 80% hate, and fans aren't even given the opportunity to have a discourse about the anime at all, they tend to use that excuse to justify their rantings. "THIS FANDOM IS THE WORST I'M HERE TO SET EVERYONE STRAIGHT." It just doesn't make sense to me at all.

Not everyone who hates the anime does that you know. Don't attempt to shut out my opinion just because the overzealous haters do so to the fans. Anyhoo, it got over an 8 on Myanimelist, so there's that, but it's far away from the usually reviled School Days.
14061 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14
I found it gets very boring and just drags things on
4571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

SalmanShakeel wrote:

I found it gets very boring and just drags things on


Skip the second arc
14061 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / M / England
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

metalshiflet96 wrote:


SalmanShakeel wrote:

I found it gets very boring and just drags things on


Skip the second arc


Actually it is GGO I found boring and stopped watching
134 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 3/24/15
I don't hate SAO, I hate the fans.

Here's why:

Bob: Man, I'm a huge anime fan!

Me: Oh that's awesome! What are your favorites?

Bob: Well I've only seen SAO and Attack on Titans but yeah I love anime. SAO is the best anime ever!!!!

Me: ....
38028 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

Terminology wrote:

I don't hate SAO, I hate the fans.

Here's why:

Bob: Man, I'm a huge anime fan!

Me: Oh that's awesome! What are your favorites?

Bob: Well I've only seen SAO and Attack on Titans but yeah I love anime. SAO is the best anime ever!!!!

Me: ....


Why is that a bad thing? People have to start in on anime somewhere. If they're having fun watching what they like I don't really see what there is to "hate" about that. I started in on anime with DBZ- that's a pretty massive shonen cliche right there, but I don't care. It was fun and I liked it.
38028 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

SalmanShakeel wrote:


metalshiflet96 wrote:


SalmanShakeel wrote:

I found it gets very boring and just drags things on


Skip the second arc


Actually it is GGO I found boring and stopped watching


I actually didn't love the GGO novel so I wasn't really looking forward to the second season all that much. It ends up just being one cour (14 episodes) and the rest of the season is stuff that takes place in ALO. So if you prefer the fantasy stuff more it will get better. The last part that's coming up in a couple weeks will actually be really good. Mother's Rosario was my favorite story in SAO.
134 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

Balzack wrote:


Terminology wrote:

I don't hate SAO, I hate the fans.

Here's why:

Bob: Man, I'm a huge anime fan!

Me: Oh that's awesome! What are your favorites?

Bob: Well I've only seen SAO and Attack on Titans but yeah I love anime. SAO is the best anime ever!!!!

Me: ....


Why is that a bad thing? People have to start in on anime somewhere. If they're having fun watching what they like I don't really see what there is to "hate" about that. I started in on anime with DBZ- that's a pretty massive shonen cliche right there, but I don't care. It was fun and I liked it.


You're missing the point. A majority of these people ( and I know from experience), will only watch those shows and maybe FMA brotherhood and soul eater. I know plenty of people who just watch that and never touch anime again because in their mind, nothing else lives up to what those shows offered.

I started watching anime because of Bleach back when I was still in middle school. I get you, but I still went on to explore other things. I didn't get highly offended when someone told me Bleach was awful. These people will tear you up if you even go as far as to offer some small form of criticism about either show.
134 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / Ontario
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

petra94 wrote:

I haven't watched Sword Art Online, but I'm very curious about it. I does seem to have a lot of elements I like, but at the same time, it seems so contain too many clichés (from what I've heard. But if it contains tentacle rape (as I read somewhere above) and has only stereotypical male/female characters, than I won't watch it.).


SAO may involve some of these elements, but it still comes out as a great show. It never hurts to give it a shot by watching the first few episodes. If you don't like what you see there, then yes, I wouldn't watch it.
First  Prev  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.