First  Prev  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next  Last

Why do people hate on Sword Art Online?

Post Reply
6159 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14
I dont think that people actually hate SAO, I think there is a just a great deal of frustration surrounding the show, especially in the more recent months. Something tbat has become increasingly clear to me as I rewatched SAO recently is that SAO changes immensely from arc to arc. The Eincrad arc has a very particular way of presenting the story but that changes dramatically when the ALO arc of season one starts then changes again to the GGO arc and has now changed again to the newest arc. Each on is distinct and each one changes dramatically. So I dont think that people actually hate SAO I think they are just frustrated with the fact that it has changed so much in the past 40 some episodes and that it hasnt really stayed true to its original purpose or story, personally I miss the original arc of SAO and in my book it is still so good, so I am a little frustrated that it has changed so much.
20553 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14
I'm just sitting here wondering how the haters will rip apart Eugeo come SAO III.

Because you know they will.
61517 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14
best show ever.
8750 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14
The first season was good, although i always thought Kirito was too powerful and was generally a boring protagonist so it made it kind of boring to watch most fight scenes. The romance between Asuna and Kirito was handled really well and was the best part of the anime (i would have preferred it to be just a romance rather than having the stapled on action). The plot also moved far too fast, the pacing has really annoyed me all throughout this anime. Overall the concept that they couldn't simply take off the helmets was a little stupid, i get that it is a plot device but it doesn't make any sense in a real world perspective so that constantly took me out of the story.

Season two was horrible, they added one of the most stupid unnecessary love triangles in all of anime. Also the game world wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been (we didn't even meet all the different races). It also removed any tension because they couldn't die anymore, there was just some ominous unexplained "death penalty". Worst the whole brain lab within an MMO was just retarded, why would you even need to build an MMO if you were just going to perform brain experiments, why run the risk of anyone else interfering by creating an MMO universe around it. Not to mention the continued overpowered nature of Kirito even though we learn he is a poor swordsman when his sister defeats him in a kendo duel.

I haven't watched any of the third season as the second season has put me off this anime. A point i think is a little stupid though is if there have been two major incidents within these MMO universes causing deaths, why are they still legal.

All in all the anime was enjoyable to watch and had some really amazing parts, but it tries to get away with too much utter nonsense, which personally kept taking me out of the story. Although being a programmer i think i looked too much into the 'scientific' concepts throughout the series rather than focusing on the world and characters.
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14
The SAO hate is well deserved.
4571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

tyranofication wrote:

The first season was good, although i always thought Kirito was too powerful and was generally a boring protagonist so it made it kind of boring to watch most fight scenes. The romance between Asuna and Kirito was handled really well and was the best part of the anime (i would have preferred it to be just a romance rather than having the stapled on action). The plot also moved far too fast, the pacing has really annoyed me all throughout this anime. Overall the concept that they couldn't simply take off the helmets was a little stupid, i get that it is a plot device but it doesn't make any sense in a real world perspective so that constantly took me out of the story.

Season two was horrible, they added one of the most stupid unnecessary love triangles in all of anime. Also the game world wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been (we didn't even meet all the different races). It also removed any tension because they couldn't die anymore, there was just some ominous unexplained "death penalty". Worst the whole brain lab within an MMO was just retarded, why would you even need to build an MMO if you were just going to perform brain experiments, why run the risk of anyone else interfering by creating an MMO universe around it. Not to mention the continued overpowered nature of Kirito even though we learn he is a poor swordsman when his sister defeats him in a kendo duel.

I haven't watched any of the third season as the second season has put me off this anime. A point i think is a little stupid though is if there have been two major incidents within these MMO universes causing deaths, why are they still legal.

All in all the anime was enjoyable to watch and had some really amazing parts, but it tries to get away with too much utter nonsense, which personally kept taking me out of the story. Although being a programmer i think i looked too much into the 'scientific' concepts throughout the series rather than focusing on the world and characters.


I think you missed a good bit of the second arc, or just chose to overlook. The death tension was in the fact that a death would return them to a place further away from the world tree and time was limited because of the impending marriage. The brain kab was in the MMO because of the cost of another server and the fact that another SAO server would have been noticed. Kirito isn't a poor swordsman, his sister was an amazing swordsman and she didn't destroy him.
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

metalshiflet96 wrote:


tyranofication wrote:

The first season was good, although i always thought Kirito was too powerful and was generally a boring protagonist so it made it kind of boring to watch most fight scenes. The romance between Asuna and Kirito was handled really well and was the best part of the anime (i would have preferred it to be just a romance rather than having the stapled on action). The plot also moved far too fast, the pacing has really annoyed me all throughout this anime. Overall the concept that they couldn't simply take off the helmets was a little stupid, i get that it is a plot device but it doesn't make any sense in a real world perspective so that constantly took me out of the story.

Season two was horrible, they added one of the most stupid unnecessary love triangles in all of anime. Also the game world wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been (we didn't even meet all the different races). It also removed any tension because they couldn't die anymore, there was just some ominous unexplained "death penalty". Worst the whole brain lab within an MMO was just retarded, why would you even need to build an MMO if you were just going to perform brain experiments, why run the risk of anyone else interfering by creating an MMO universe around it. Not to mention the continued overpowered nature of Kirito even though we learn he is a poor swordsman when his sister defeats him in a kendo duel.

I haven't watched any of the third season as the second season has put me off this anime. A point i think is a little stupid though is if there have been two major incidents within these MMO universes causing deaths, why are they still legal.

All in all the anime was enjoyable to watch and had some really amazing parts, but it tries to get away with too much utter nonsense, which personally kept taking me out of the story. Although being a programmer i think i looked too much into the 'scientific' concepts throughout the series rather than focusing on the world and characters.


I think you missed a good bit of the second arc, or just chose to overlook. The death tension was in the fact that a death would return them to a place further away from the world tree and time was limited because of the impending marriage. The brain kab was in the MMO because of the cost of another server and the fact that another SAO server would have been noticed. Kirito isn't a poor swordsman, his sister was an amazing swordsman and she didn't destroy him.


Points unexplained in the adaptation. If I hadn't read your comment, I would've thought the whole mmo lab thing to be a perfectly valid plothole.
4571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


metalshiflet96 wrote:


tyranofication wrote:

The first season was good, although i always thought Kirito was too powerful and was generally a boring protagonist so it made it kind of boring to watch most fight scenes. The romance between Asuna and Kirito was handled really well and was the best part of the anime (i would have preferred it to be just a romance rather than having the stapled on action). The plot also moved far too fast, the pacing has really annoyed me all throughout this anime. Overall the concept that they couldn't simply take off the helmets was a little stupid, i get that it is a plot device but it doesn't make any sense in a real world perspective so that constantly took me out of the story.

Season two was horrible, they added one of the most stupid unnecessary love triangles in all of anime. Also the game world wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been (we didn't even meet all the different races). It also removed any tension because they couldn't die anymore, there was just some ominous unexplained "death penalty". Worst the whole brain lab within an MMO was just retarded, why would you even need to build an MMO if you were just going to perform brain experiments, why run the risk of anyone else interfering by creating an MMO universe around it. Not to mention the continued overpowered nature of Kirito even though we learn he is a poor swordsman when his sister defeats him in a kendo duel.

I haven't watched any of the third season as the second season has put me off this anime. A point i think is a little stupid though is if there have been two major incidents within these MMO universes causing deaths, why are they still legal.

All in all the anime was enjoyable to watch and had some really amazing parts, but it tries to get away with too much utter nonsense, which personally kept taking me out of the story. Although being a programmer i think i looked too much into the 'scientific' concepts throughout the series rather than focusing on the world and characters.


I think you missed a good bit of the second arc, or just chose to overlook. The death tension was in the fact that a death would return them to a place further away from the world tree and time was limited because of the impending marriage. The brain kab was in the MMO because of the cost of another server and the fact that another SAO server would have been noticed. Kirito isn't a poor swordsman, his sister was an amazing swordsman and she didn't destroy him.


Points unexplained in the adaptation. If I hadn't read your comment, I would've thought the whole mmo lab thing to be a perfectly valid plothole.

The death thing was in the anime, as well as the skill of his sister. The MMO lab is in the LN, but I couldn't recall if it was in the anime. It does say that the world of ALO was on the SAO server and it does say that the brain experiments had to be performed in the SAO server. Correct me on that if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that is in the anime.
toxxin 
43489 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / Nowhere in partic...
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/26/14
It jumped the shark is why. The Aincrad arc was well done, until the end which was anticlimactic and abrupt. Then ALO happened. Suguha was annoying, Asuna suffered from Damsel in Distress Syndrome, the pacing was terrible, and I didn't care about the characters. I came to expect a rather decent anime with characters that I actually cared whether they lived or died; then all of a sudden they changed gears.

I figured I'd give it GGO to win me back but the pacing was just as terrible, Asuna didn't do anything, the side characters I actually like faded even further out of view, and worse yet even Kirito gets on my nerves now. I think it's time for me to pull the plug on this one, not saying you can't watch it or enjoy it; maybe SAO is right up your alley, but it took a very hard turn from where I would have liked to see it go.
119 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
21 / F / Eastern US
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
I like SAO but I do admit it has its flaws. I have heard some people say Kirito is a Gary Stu, which is kind of true if you think about it ( has super awesome MMO skills, gets all the girls). ALF's Sugu-Kirito ship felt a bit forced and unnecessary. I've been reading the light novels and Kirito is still a bit of a Gary Stu but everyone and the other arcs are pretty good.
33712 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 11/7/15
LOL people read wayyyyyy too much into a show

It's just simple entertainment

No more, no less
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
I watched S1 Ep1 because i was bored.
didn't even know it was popular at first.
and still enjoying season 2

17230 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14

nanikore2 wrote:

LOL people read wayyyyyy too much into a show

It's just simple entertainment

No more, no less


But that's precisely the problem - Shows being turned out for *simple* entertainment, and completely leaving out greater, more stimulating mechanics. The SAO series has been plagued by a number of problems, and rarely touches on the huge overarching keystone concept of simulacra vs simulacrum.
The majority of animes can be placed upon a continuum of varying intensity based upon its depth. More mature viewers prefer deeper shows, but also comprise of a correspondingly small amount of the total viewer count. In general, a show's depth is inversely proportional to its popularity (as measured by the total number of fanboys proselytizing its name).

Seeing a show such as SAO with its brilliant setup, numerous motifs, etc get set up and completely wasted - That's precisely the issue for the audience with more mature preferences.
It isn't simply a matter of people reading too much into it - It's the fact that many people enjoy more mature and deep entertainment than what you (I assume) prefer, and are therefore rather pissed off when they see something potentially engaging go to waste.

In a nutshell, the problem is that the show is oriented towards your type of viewer. Just because people 'read into it too much' doesn't diminish the value of their remarks. In actuality, if anybody is the problem, the fact that you aren't seeing these issues yourself would indicate an issue in your own total emotional maturity.


Unfortunately, there are very few deep animes out there, and few of them ever get the budget/studio to do them justice. Instead, the fanboy money gets poured into shows that just crank out menial episode after episode, instead of exploring greater meaning.
4571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14

toxxin wrote:

It jumped the shark is why. The Aincrad arc was well done, until the end which was anticlimactic and abrupt. Then ALO happened. Suguha was annoying, Asuna suffered from Damsel in Distress Syndrome, the pacing was terrible, and I didn't care about the characters. I came to expect a rather decent anime with characters that I actually cared whether they lived or died; then all of a sudden they changed gears.

I figured I'd give it GGO to win me back but the pacing was just as terrible, Asuna didn't do anything, the side characters I actually like faded even further out of view, and worse yet even Kirito gets on my nerves now. I think it's time for me to pull the plug on this one, not saying you can't watch it or enjoy it; maybe SAO is right up your alley, but it took a very hard turn from where I would have liked to see it go.


Pulling the plug too early, it's getting back to having the other characters play a part
5052 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
Beats me, I love SAO. People simply like to hate on what's popular, just like how I hate SNK with a passion, because it's over-hyped and it sucks.
First  Prev  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.