First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last

Why do people hate on Sword Art Online?

Post Reply
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/29/14
tl;dr

Because it`s Otaku Pandering Deus Ex Machina Wish Fulfillment aimed at Teenagers.
It`s like Twilight but set in the game.

SAO Fans is like Justin Bieber Fans to me.

Overrated = Overhated.
5072 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
I like SAO a lot, but I hate how in ALO they portrayed Asuna as very hopeless and defenseless when she was a super hot badass in the first arc. These are 100% my feelings on this.

GGO was very good for me. Looking forward to Mother's Rosario (mostly for Asuna, not gona lie)
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 11/7/15

I WOULDN'T SAY THAT I HATE IT... JUST DISINTERESTED. NOT MY TYPE OF ANIME THAT CATCHES MY ATTENTION AND TELLS ME "SPEND TIME WATCHING THIS SERIES". ALSO, TO ENJOY AN ANIME SHOULDN'T BE WHERE I AM FORWARDING TO ONLY THE FIGHTING SCENES... BUT THAT ONLY LASTED A FEW EPISODES BEFORE I HAD DROPPED THE SERIES ENTIRELY.

SORRY.

I KNOW I AM REALLY PICKY.
SAO IS NOT CONSIDERED A DECENT ANIME IN MY LIST.

v LMAO!
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
Their friends keep dying.
28541 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
37 / M / Pandora's Box
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
The first season was good because there was the element of they could die at any time in the game and in real life.
It was a battle of Survival.
But this 2nd season just sucks, the whole GGO arc would have been cool to see Kirito use Guns instead of a LIGHT SABER style sword and still be as bad ass as he is, It would be nice to see him start a new game from the beginning with everyone else and to watch them slowly levelling up and learning new skills, Instead of being Over Powered and too skilled for any opponent.
It takes the suspense out of the show just knowing his going to win no matter what..
Its not that BAD and its not that GOOD either,
i tend to just stare at the screen and not be following the episodes all that much..
29 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
18 / F / somewhere
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
i don't really like it because the plot is predictable, the characters are generic and bland, and the designs for characters and such are so cliche, i just can't bring myself to like it. that's just my opinion though.
and i guess my standard for video game-type animes has gone up now that i've watched log horizon
16758 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
I am fine with people enjoying SAO but making it out to be amazing just irritates me. Hell i have enjoyed some anime that are flat out bad like 11eyes but me enjoying it doesn't amount to high quality.
33772 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14

worldglobe wrote:

In a nutshell, the problem is that the show is oriented towards your type of viewer. Just because people 'read into it too much' doesn't diminish the value of their remarks. In actuality, if anybody is the problem, the fact that you aren't seeing these issues yourself would indicate an issue in your own total emotional maturity.


Unfortunately, there are very few deep animes out there, and few of them ever get the budget/studio to do them justice. Instead, the fanboy money gets poured into shows that just crank out menial episode after episode, instead of exploring greater meaning.


Pardon? I see that I'm not "mature enough" to place the same kind of demand on to every show.

No, I reserve "deep appreciation of symbolism" for shows such as Utena TV.


See, it's this precise kind of remark (as well as personal attack) that typifies a snob, and a presumptuous one at that.

I rest my case.

17581 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
47 / M / Verginia
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
mostly i think it is because kids these days feel the need to rebel. lol. even if it is rebelling against something as pointless as a popular anime. my mother risked her life helping black people register to vote in the '60s. these kids think hating a popular anime compares...of course there are the boys that hate any anime that dares to bring romance in as "girls are ikky" lol.
and then there are a few legitimate beefs like how they play the princess in the tower during the 2nd cour because the writers simply didn't know how to carry on the romance. "we are mostly virgins so what do we do.....we stick her in a tower" just like they did with rukio in bleach lmao.
and then there are the feminist hypocrites that hate this because it is a harem yet then praise reverse harem anime and bl anime.
926 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / Pretoria, South A...
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
I've watched SAO just last week.. The entire 1st series, I don't really know why I lasted through out the series, but I did anyways and I like the fights, find the romance a little too much, I like the concept of the anime since I used to play rpgmmo quite a lot.. Soo yeah I don't hate it or love it.. its a chilled anime..
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14
I agree with a previous poster, would be nice to see the gang start up a new MMO and level up together and not be so over powered. I'm still on episode 12 of GGO so I'm hoping they are all still alive by the end of it.
17242 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 1/31/17

nanikore2 wrote:


worldglobe wrote:

In a nutshell, the problem is that the show is oriented towards your type of viewer. Just because people 'read into it too much' doesn't diminish the value of their remarks. In actuality, if anybody is the problem, the fact that you aren't seeing these issues yourself would indicate an issue in your own total emotional maturity.


Unfortunately, there are very few deep animes out there, and few of them ever get the budget/studio to do them justice. Instead, the fanboy money gets poured into shows that just crank out menial episode after episode, instead of exploring greater meaning.


Pardon? I see that I'm not "mature enough" to place the same kind of demand on to every show.

No, I reserve "deep appreciation of symbolism" for shows such as Utena TV.


See, it's this precise kind of remark (as well as personal attack) that typifies a snob, and a presumptuous one at that.

I rest my case.



And, in this, you are in turn proving my point; that your (and in this, I refer to the 'you' of people who insist that people are demanding too much out of it) emotional maturity simply isn't up to par; just look at your own ad hominem that fails to address the point. (Lololol; See what I did there? Using the 'hurdur your point proves my point' just makes you look silly and like a dick, because ultimately everything can prove anything.)
The personal attack you've perceived, is simply me turning the tables on your 'Everybody is hyper analyzing this' point; in effect, you attacked a large swathe of people, and apparently you can't take the heat when it's applied in counterpoint. It's almost rather humorous that you can't see the irony of the situation.

The majority of emotionally mature viewers find it difficult to simply 'turn off' their intellectual drive, and appreciate a superficial show. That was, in effect, all I was intentionally stating. The dig at you was just that; a dig to get you to play your cards, and perhaps think about the issue.
It doesn't matter whether you can turn on or off your intellectual hunger or not; In effect, you're achieving just as much fulfillment to your core personality one way or another. Time filler shows are just that; something to fill time, but nothing to shout off the rooftops.

Some anime is better than others. Some is deeper than others. If I'm a snob to recognize reality, then so be it.
12028 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / F / Washington
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 1/31/17
Why do you assume people who dislike SAO only dislike it because it's a popular anime? I watched the whole series and I was not impressed. Like it was an okay series... the concept has been done before but the execution was terrible. Barely no character development, a lot of forgettable and useless characters, too much romance and it skipped around from level to level way to much. I wanted to see how Kirito levels and how hard he works to get from level to level... I wanted to see Asuna be the badass female lead she is actually finding herself... I wanted to see more action. But every thing in the series was so predictable and what the heck??? The creator of the game forgot why he did that to everyone???? Like wat da hell??? Another thing is character design... it's way to moe for me.... I can never take it seriously and it turns me off to any anime that wants me emotionally connected.

Here's my question though..... why is it so popular??? Why did it get so much hype??? What was so great about it? I really cannot see why anyone would seriously obsess over it.
8070 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / Denver, CO
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14

bobland wrote:


CodyJJ wrote:

I liked the original SAO so much! The Asuna and Kirito dynamic was the best I have ever seen between two characters. However, after a while, Asuna became a spectator along with Kirito's harem (that includes Klein). It just wasted so much of it's potential I think. Not to mention the episode structure of SAO II during GGO was the worst. It literally went as follows:

1. Some thing happened at the last 30 seconds of the last episode
2. They were able to escape
3. They talked about it for the rest of the episode
4. Something happens at the last 30 seconds of the episode
5. Repeat

I just didn't like it after they beat the original SAO.


spoiler in case some people have not seen GGO



You're right, there definitely was some good action. And I agree with you that GGO had good character development in it. However, despite Sinon being able to grow as a character, in the end, she became another girl that depends on Kirito's strength. I love it when there are girls in the show that also have amazing abilities along with the guys. All the female characters in SAO can be awesome (in fact, Asuna was the 2nd highest ranked player in SAO next to the actual man who created it, & Sinon was the winner of BoB). and yet the writers choose to allow them to solely rely on Kirito in the end. It kind of makes Kirito too powerful and takes away from a realistic character. Honestly, its the 21st century, the guy should not be the savior in almost every situation. Then again, that does not make it a bad show because this is just my personal taste. Some people still like the whole "Prince Charming" effect.
33772 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/26/14 , edited 10/27/14

worldglobe wrote:

The majority of emotionally mature viewers find it difficult to simply 'turn off' their intellectual drive, and appreciate a superficial show. That was, in effect, all I was intentionally stating. The dig at you was just that; a dig to get you to play your cards, and perhaps think about the issue.
It doesn't matter whether you can turn on or off your intellectual hunger or not; In effect, you're achieving just as much fulfillment to your core personality one way or another. Time filler shows are just that; something to fill time, but nothing to shout off the rooftops.

Some anime is better than others. Some is deeper than others. If I'm a snob to recognize reality, then so be it.




No it's called "nickpicking" which interferes with suspension of disbelief.

It's people's own fault that their own suspension of disbelief gets broken.

Snobs are as snobs think- When that snobbishness gets in their own way.

"Play your cards and think about the issue"? Pbbt. Get off it, you're completely full of yourself and the reek is coming through. All that you've done is demonstrate what I've been saying in this thread all along.

The equation of emotional maturity with intellectual drive is ludicrous. If someone is so "emotionally mature" then they'd deal with the "difficulty" themselves instead of taking it out on who don't have such "difficulty". Yeah, there's your irony.

First  Prev  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.