First  Prev  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next  Last

Why do people hate on Sword Art Online?

Post Reply
22353 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
M / Holland
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/30/14

desbravador wrote:


Princeblaster wrote:

If you dislike it, okay. But why feel the need to tell everyone about it? It's utterly stupid and pointless in my opinion. I for one love it, but you could probably have guessed that already hah.


It is not pointless to debate the relative merits of something. New perspectives may be bred from such discussion, and it is possible to walk away with concrete examples of why something succeeds or fails.

It is only at the end of day when, with all the facts presented, your evaluation differs from mine should we feel obliged to cut off the discussion as a difference of opinion.

If you take everything discussed and feel the the strengths outweigh the flaws, that is different from my evaluation, but I will never argue you are wrong. In the meantime, this discussion helps get the proponents and opponents of this work on the same page, ensuring we are watching the same show.

Enjoyment is a different matter entirely. I love Sword Art Online precisely because it utterly fails in so many storycrafting elements.



I'm agreeing with you on this one, but when did I say that debating is pointless? I was referring to the people who just feel the need to leave comments/posts in threads or somewhere else such as ''I hate .... '' etc. Don't get me wrong I'm fine people who want to discuss certain subjects, but not those people ^^
17333 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/30/14
I'm a huge fan of Sword art online, however, I can understand the standpoint of the critics. Sword art online does have some missing aspects that jump scenes in a rushing manor. One such example is when Kirito used to belong to a guild and then time suddenly passes. In the manga, it is smoother, true, however overall it is still rushed and could be enhanced.

Since the first art of Sword art online (alfheim) has held up to its name, it was very hard for the second arc to do the same. Many criticisms are coming from the second arc and the sisterly love towards Kirito was unneeded and excessive.

I believe what the haters are saying is that these aspects ruined what could've been a great anime/manga to them, as the story could have been a lot smoother in respect.
94 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/30/14

Princeblaster wrote:

I'm agreeing with you on this one, but when did I say that debating is pointless? I was referring to the people who just feel the need to leave comments/posts in threads or somewhere else such as ''I hate .... '' etc. Don't get me wrong I'm fine people who want to discuss certain subjects, but not those people ^^


That's the internet for you: strawmen abound.

In this case, the thread is titled something along the lines of, "why do people hate Sword Art Online", and most people are actually giving reasons rather than just trolling, flaming or aimlessly bashing.

In that light, along with the abundance of comments above along the lines of 'don't listen to the haters', I misinterpreted your sentiment.

It's just that if we interpret this thread as inquiring about the people you are describing, the question would be as meaningless as asking why 4chan is so hateful: it just is.
23 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/30/14
I'll try to add my mix of observations of people who didn't overly like the show like I do, in very specific regard to the SAO/ALO run of the show. Most of the complaints were laid within the ALO arc in general and Kirito's character. Not much on world building or their take on creating an MMORPG environment (other than how Log Horizon apparently does it better BUT HOW PLEASE EXPLAIN INSTEAD OF JUST BRINGING IT OUT TO SAY ITS BETTER THAN THIS BECAUSE THAT ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT HELP). So I try to sum up what I think people really didn't like about the series.

They thought the ALO arc was unnecessary to the whole thing and could have very well ended after SAO was finished but due to Asuna's marriage predicament It just added an extra plotline that they felt wasn't needed. On that note, they felt Asuna's role change from the badass Lightning Flash bride Asuna to a damsel who actually couldn't do shit really sucked especially how because of Kirito she grew overtime to be a very independent and strong character and to turn all that around into someone who can't do anything really sucked.

Another thing is that the incestuous side plot with Sugu was a bit strange and kinda interrupted the whole flow of the arc. At least that's what I see but they only said it was just cringe worthy and overall just ya know, weird. A few others and me personally found the additions of the molstation and rape-ish atmosphere in relation to how Asuna was generally treated when in captivity to be out of place in the whole story and in the position of a viewer watching it just felt extremely wrong and horrible.

On the character of Kirito from what I've read is that he's a fairly unrealistic sort of Mary Sue type of character. He's introduced as a kid who spent most of his days playing videogames and more or less neglecting to do anything else but play and keep up with the such. And because of that, he became someone who took playing games very seriously to the point of treating them as not just a game. (unless you're someone who plays for money then its understandable) He takes this conviction to the game and in that sense it works because this time, your life is on the line. This in mind he somehow just does his own thing of helping people every now and then and focusing on clearing the game and suddenly he's got girls all over him and it kinda just happened in each character's respective episode. There wasn't too much buildup to the girls realizing they like him; they just traveled with him to wherever and whatever they needed and by the end they liked him somehow. My brother also found this sort of progression of romance to be incredibly cheesy probably because of how easy it was and obvious it looked as a viewer. This Mary Sue idea of him being special is somewhat emphasized when it shows he's the only one in the whole damn game to be able to dual wield and have respective skills related to such. Why him of all the 10000 people in the game? Why is it that with being the chosen one with the best reaction time out of all you are bestowed with a somewhat mundane sounding skill and are destined to beat the final boss and save everyone from the game? Simply put, because he's the main character.

Like I said, this is what I garner from the various opinions of people i know who watched the show and for the most part aren't too impressed as a whole (Lol my brother called quits after the dual wielding spectacle with gleam eyes). As someone who really likes the show i'd try to see things in their point of view and can somewhat justify their complaints since they never really elaborated.
68521 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
32 / M / Vancouver, BC, Ca...
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/30/14
Because there will inevitably be some people that like to hate on popular things for no reason other than the fact that they are popular. Worse still they try to force their opinions on other people and label who ever doesn't agree with them as idiots.
5992 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/30/14
I can't say for sure why others may dislike the anime, but I feel that the anime is just plain bad owo
Well, that's because I read the novels first.
And of course, this post is highly opinionated.

However, I still love SAO and its anime rendition is on the top of my list of favorite anime.

I still hold onto how I feel about the anime is versus its light novel counterpart.
21286 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / The World of Music
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/30/14
The way I see it, majority of the people who dislike SAO can be divided into two catagories

The first would be those who simply aren't interested in what it has to offer as an anime

and the second would be those who really just hate because it's popular.

The first group I'm cool with, since everybody is entitled to their own opinion. The second group I'm not quite as cool with. I disagree with the idea that something is bad simply because it's, "mainstream"
94 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/31/14

SpiritWolf15 wrote:

Because there will inevitably be some people that like to hate on popular things for no reason other than the fact that they are popular. Worse still they try to force their opinions on other people and label who ever doesn't agree with them as idiots.


There's another way to look at it: Since it is popular, it is more visible as an anime. Its larger viewership will mean naturally more people that walk away dissatisfied.

Popular shows also get lauded by the opposite-type of people: "SAO is the best anime ever." To challenge this crowd, those that dislike it will scrutinize it harder for flaws; this amount of scrutiny isn't necessarily inversely proportional to its quality.

There's a positive feedback here: The large viewership means a larger audience for both those who praise SAO and those who bash it. This will keep making it visible and more people will either be let down by the hype or appalled that a passable anime is getting torn to shreds while no one's doing the same for something like Hamatora.

What you're describing does exist, but I don't think it's the majority. Characterizing the opposition like this makes it easier to dismiss and passes over the burden of critical thinking. I'm not saying you are doing this, but it's a pitfall we should strive to avoid.
23380 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M / Leanbox, Gameindu...
Offline
Posted 10/30/14 , edited 10/31/14
I find SAO enjoyable, but it is no masterpiece. Overpowered main character, writer throwing away all of his cool world ideas too soon so just as you start to like one it is over. Character development is also somewhat weak. Still a fun show and I loved the GGO arc, but the show could be so much more if the writing wasn't so thrown together.
9 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 10/31/14 , edited 10/31/14
Despite all it's flaws, there's a reason why there's still a ton of people who consider this anime to be one of the best and I believe this reason is innocence. The romance in this anime is what we all aspire to have. Youthful love is like no other. The love of two first time lovers is nothing but happiness because they don't really feel pressured by past mistakes or anything. It's the only time in their lives when they can truly do whatever they want to do. The perfect, ideal relationship.
Posted 10/31/14 , edited 10/31/14
These people are just like Bieber haters or any other haters. They are horrible, cruel people.
51 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / F / Finland, Helsinki
Offline
Posted 10/31/14 , edited 10/31/14

the_spaceguy wrote:


Eewyi wrote:

My biggest reason for hating SAO is the main character. Kirito is super badly written overpowered Gary Stue, and when you have no sympathy for empty-I-can-do-anything-character it's really hard to like the series. Especially because Kirito is the main character.

SAO looks nice and I love the visual style of it. I was originally interested about it only because of Yuki Kajiura's music, so I wasn't really motivated to watch it in the 1st place.

But I can still see why people like SAO. It looks nice, it has lots of action, and well, even though Kirito is Gary Stue and Mr. Power Fantasy, many people tend to like that kind of character. For me, it seems just like a 14-year-old writing a fanfic if I encounter that kind of characters in the series.


he really isnt that powerful of a character when you are an actual gamer and know how video games work, then you can understand....he just really is one of the best, along with Asuna and Klein and some of the other "floor clearers"..he was given a special skill but it was unknown who had other special skills as that could have been any of the 7000 who survived SAO (i think i read somewhere or in the LN that there were like 10 special skills in existence?)...He was a good player but he was not "overpowered"..if you watched GGO and the end of the 2nd season then you know he isnt overwhelmingly tough at all IRL...and in the game he is just a smarter player than the others who use brute force...but he does lose in later arcs (yes kirito loses sword fights to other better players)


It's not only that, I dislike his personality as well. I don't like him at all.
And no, I haven't watched 2nd season because there wasn't enough things to interest me. But it's good to hear that Kirito's "God Powers" aren't so powered up during 2nd season, that's definitely an improvement.

People who like SAO, chill out. At least I'm not one of those people who hate it only because it's popular or call people stupid because they like it. In a similar way, I don't hate any Naruto, Bleach or One Piece fans even though I don't personally like the series. And in comprasion, I do like Shingeki for example.
25828 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
32 / M / Atlanta, GA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/31/14 , edited 10/31/14
Well, back when I was a mindless, aggressive little kid, I hated things that other people liked and made sure that all of my favorite things were unique to what others' favorite things were. I would even rationalize that other people were stupid sheep for liking the color blue, because it was a clearly inferior color to my favorite color.

These days I like blue just fine.
7593 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / Los Angeles, Cali...
Offline
Posted 10/31/14 , edited 10/31/14

Kavalion wrote:

Well, back when I was a mindless, aggressive little kid, I hated things that other people liked and made sure that all of my favorite things were unique to what others' favorite things were. I would even rationalize that other people were stupid sheep for liking the color blue, because it was a clearly inferior color to my favorite color.

These days I like blue just fine.


what was your favorite color that was superior to blue? if it was green....it is superior lol jk
15014 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / Norway
Offline
Posted 10/31/14 , edited 11/1/14
Because love can't exist without hate
Thread done
First  Prev  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.