First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last

Why do people hate on Sword Art Online?

Post Reply
5687 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
37 / M / Midwestern United...
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14

Rokenix wrote:

I notice that there is a lot of people that just don't like Sword Art Online and i don't exactly know why. I thought it might be the whole "it's to popular" but that's not really a good reason to hate any anime. Could someone tell me why there is so much hate towards S.A.O?


Fanaticism.

SAO - like pretty much any animé worth its salt - has fans that hype it to such ludicrous levels that if you point out a flaw in it, you're a hater or anti-fan. The good news for those that really enjoy what the show is (as was already pointed out in this thread) it is quite formulaic and even assuming some plot twists, the well animated action scenes and the like should remain.

When you've got the fans that live up to the term ("fan" was coined as short for "fanatic") then so-called "anti-fans" are pretty much a given. People are tired of hearing exaggerations (if not flat out lies) about a series they have also seen and there is just as much enjoyment shooting down a series and raising it up... and while it can be depressing for those reading it, there may even be a slight edge in moral imperative over warning someone away from something that doesn't live up to the hype and/or allowing the person to then watch the show from a more accurate, neutral starting point than having someone go in and waste time on a show that won't appeal to them or to a show that they might have enjoyed had they "gone in blind" but find frustrating because it isn't what was promised to them.

The show so far has been quite formulaic and there are so many issues that it likes to raise but never properly addresses. Take the now infamous incest angle between Kirito and Suguha; it really ignores that incest is actually more than a biological matter. After all, if it wasn't then wouldn't it be okay so long as the couple in question had no children? It is about how familial love being twisted (whether intentionally or through misunderstanding) into erotic and/or romantic love. Though of course being that I speak no Japanese, have never visited (let alone lived in) Japan, I do have to be honest; perhaps this was addressed beyond some cursory statements and I missed it. The thing is when it comes up, "fans" seem to trumpet "She's actually Kirito's cousin, not sister!" which one way or another is a cop out: marriage of first cousins is debated, with some cultures prohibiting it, some cultures encouraging it and others falling somewhere in between but Suguha was still raised as his sister so its still and issue plus if she had been his biological sister or half-sister, it would have at least had the potential to be a more serious matter. My limited understanding is that the Japanese culture is either tolerant or encouraging of cousin marriage... so while it might seem like a big issue in the U.S. I'm pretty sure that was the convenient "S'cool, we aren't 'really' brother and sister!" card.

Overall I do enjoy the show, but I don't enjoy the people that seem to think its the path to God or something. The so-called "haters"... are often just people not agreeing with the fantastic or the kind of people who enjoy trolling and that are present for everything (and while unavoidable, need to be largely ignored).
3022 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 4/1/19
1. I didn't like how at the beginning, the anime gets your hopes up by adding the death twist, only to shit all over it. The more you continue watching the anime, the more the thing that made it interesting in the FIRST place, the death element, matters less and less.

2. This anime has so many plot holes, I can't even begin to list them all.

3. They've RUINED the only interesting character, Asuna. She was first introduced to the audience as a mysterious, potential bad ass girl, only then to be turned into a girl who needs to be rescued by Kirito. Every awesome moment Asuna has in SAO, something happens to her and Kirito has to save her. -.- Then there's the whole sexist aspect to it, and by the second season, they've reduced her to a damsel in distress with her only role being to provide awkward fan service (tentacle rape -_____-)

4. Kirito's stupid harem.

5. All of ALO.

6. Little to no character development.

Log Horizon is so much more superior than SAO, and does the whole 'trapped in a game' thing much better.
1276 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/29/14
Sword Art Online has so much hate because its fans turned into its haters.

Don't get me wrong, the first 12 episodes were brilliant (despite the whole, 15 year old kid marries 17 year old girl and has a computer program as their child) In my opinion, it was great because of Klein and Agil. But the concept (including Laughing Coffin) was good enough to excuse it's flaws.

After SAO finished, they went into some fairy world and everything just turned moe. Gun Gale Online is absolutely ridiculous. Especially Sinon. And the levels of fan service shot through the roof. The ending of ALFheim Online was just disgusting.

Even the first episode of Sword Art Online was perfect. But after episode 12, the series turned to trash.
1276 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14

YasuminChan wrote:

1. I didn't like how at the beginning, the anime gets your hopes up by adding the death twist, only to shit all over it. The more you continue watching the anime, the more the thing that made it interesting in the FIRST place, the death element, matters less and less.

2. This anime has so many plot holes, I can't even begin to list them all.

3. They've RUINED the only interesting character, Asuna. She was first introduced to the audience as a mysterious, potential bad ass girl, only then to be turned into a girl who needs to be rescued by Kirito. Every awesome moment Asuna has in SAO, something happens to her and Kirito has to save her. -.- Then there's the whole sexist aspect to it, and by the second season, they've reduced her to a damsel in distress with her only role being to provide awkward fan service (tentacle rape -_____-)

4. Kirito's stupid harem.

5. All of ALO.

6. Little to no character development.

Log Horizon is so much more superior than SAO, and does the whole 'trapped in a game' thing much better.


woah, woah, woah. I totally agree except,
it was Klein and Agil made SAO awesome.





3022 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14
3022 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14

SweetPerplexity wrote:

woah, woah, woah. I totally agree except,
it was Klein and Agil made SAO awesome.


Sorry, I haven't seen SAO 1 since its conclusion, lol, so it's not like I remember everything. xD I don't think they get much character development either though...
43969 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14

SweetPerplexity wrote:

Sword Art Online has so much hate because its fans turned into its haters.
.


^ Thats about it in a nutshell. I don't hate SAO but I don't still watch it either. It had a really interesting and fairly unique plot set up and then basically just threw it all out the window to become this generic mess. It slowly slips over the course of the first arc then the second arc may as well be a completely different show. I haven't heard anything about the third arc that redeems it either.

You can't go from "Years trapped in a VR game with the looming threat of death" to "Show about the world's most supar awesome MMO player that beats everything!". It went from having serious stakes to some 14 year's old fantasy Youtube Let's Play channel.
11046 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
24 / M / N/A
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14


Honestly I really liked most of the actual SAO arc, the ALO arc was just bad, I'm pretty sure even the author of the light novels said it was bad. The new season started off pretty well, but I thought there was just not enough going on during a few of the episodes and then there was the 7 minutes of heavy breathing (let's not forget the ALO tentacles). I liked Kayaba as a villain and thought he was genuinely interesting, but then there was Sugou and his master class lip licking and hair sniffing.

Honestly this video does the "Asada-san" scene better than the original in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eQTAAwpbbE

According to my friend Mother's Rosario is supposed to be really good, which comes after the Calibur arc, so that sounds like it has potential.

Also as a side note, cousins is not considered incest in Japan.
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14
Many people don't like wish fulfillment, though to be fair, most anime has some elements of wish fulfillment.
I personally don't like how ...
-Kirito use a plasma sword against the best players on GGO (Seriously? Why can't he use a gun? Oh wait, cool points or something.)
-Asuna was "killed" and appear in the anime to have been killed to create false tension.
-The perfect romance and the whole having a great big family at like what, 16, with a child? Good god, this is fap material for the teenagers.
-Asuna is the perfect waifu. Barf.
-Kirito is naturally the best player and only has a skill no one else can use because he is special.
-How he buddies up with Heathcliff at the end of the ALO arc. Seriously? Did the girl meant nothing to you.
-How Lisbeth falls in love with him because he's warm? I don't particularly find these sorts of romances to be "fulfilling".
-Asspulls in the final fight between Heathcliff and Kirito.
-How Kirito uber killed all those players in ALO with his transformation. That is NOT illusion magic, and 2, it is unexplained. Fuck to anyone who says "read the light novels". The adaptation is suppose to explain that, and it is not good if the adaptation expects us to have already read the light novels.
-Kirito rescuing those two hot chicks for no explained reason, not even to say "hey, I need backup".
-Kirito and Asuna taking a honeymoon, with no overarching examination into the deeeper meaning and bullcrap of this. It could've been great, an examination of modern day escapism, as touched upon earlier in the series, but no, it was wish fulfillment only.


I don't mind the whole she can cook thing. I don't find that sexist.. The incest thing was okay, it was an attempt at decent romance.

Although the whole damsel in distress thing could possibly be sexist, but only because it is overused and not inherently so. I don't generally like to say "hey, you can't use this trope because everyone else used it. Give me something new hurdurdur."
11707 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
21 / M / Cali
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14
At first, I had the impression that Kirito was just a teenager but now he's suddenly a skilled detective. I guess that's what I don't like about SAO.
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14
Well to quote a tumblr post

"oh you’re watching sword art online? i love that anime. the way they [clenches fist] sexualize every female character and turn them into disposable plot devices for their generic cookie cutter male protagonist"

I dunno. I've read a lot about them adding stuff that totally changed it, so it kinda put me off as to watching it
It's a shame, I've read a lot of conflicting views. Kirito looks pretty cool.
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14

ezekiel-the-faceless wrote:

Well to quote a tumblr post

"oh you’re watching sword art online? i love that anime. the way they [clenches fist] sexualize every female character and turn them into disposable plot devices for their generic cookie cutter male protagonist"

I dunno. I've read a lot about them adding stuff that totally changed it, so it kinda put me off as to watching it
It's a shame, I've read a lot of conflicting views. Kirito looks pretty cool.


Every female protagonist is sexualized? Are we talking about how every female character like Lisbeth actually looks aesthetically pleasing? Interesting, but I disagree. It doesn't fit my definition of offensive sexualization.
4571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14

SweetPerplexity wrote:


YasuminChan wrote:

1. I didn't like how at the beginning, the anime gets your hopes up by adding the death twist, only to shit all over it. The more you continue watching the anime, the more the thing that made it interesting in the FIRST place, the death element, matters less and less.

2. This anime has so many plot holes, I can't even begin to list them all.

3. They've RUINED the only interesting character, Asuna. She was first introduced to the audience as a mysterious, potential bad ass girl, only then to be turned into a girl who needs to be rescued by Kirito. Every awesome moment Asuna has in SAO, something happens to her and Kirito has to save her. -.- Then there's the whole sexist aspect to it, and by the second season, they've reduced her to a damsel in distress with her only role being to provide awkward fan service (tentacle rape -_____-)

4. Kirito's stupid harem.

5. All of ALO.

6. Little to no character development.

Log Horizon is so much more superior than SAO, and does the whole 'trapped in a game' thing much better.


woah, woah, woah. I totally agree except,
it was Klein and Agil made SAO awesome.







In case this hasn't been answered, fisherman was a network security guy. Also, Klein would be a better MC
91211 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
29 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14
Some people tend to hate things that are popular or successful.

For example:
The popular kid at lunch, you hate them because you are not that person.
The successful business, you hate them because your business was not successful.

People are just jealous. Everyone has some jealousy, but that song "You can't always get what you want." is true. If you try hard you just might. Basically, it is someone who thinks they should be handed success without trying and hate things that have success.

There is also just hatred on something because it is not your cup of tea. For example in my case I don't like One Piece at all because I just can't mix that comedy with sometimes serious in the same series. It's just not my cup of tea. It doesn't mean overall it's bad, it just means I personally don't like it. That doesn't change the fact that some people out there may consider One Piece the best series ever while I consider it to be one of the worst.
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


ezekiel-the-faceless wrote:

Well to quote a tumblr post

"oh you’re watching sword art online? i love that anime. the way they [clenches fist] sexualize every female character and turn them into disposable plot devices for their generic cookie cutter male protagonist"

I dunno. I've read a lot about them adding stuff that totally changed it, so it kinda put me off as to watching it
It's a shame, I've read a lot of conflicting views. Kirito looks pretty cool.


Every female protagonist is sexualized? Are we talking about how every female character like Lisbeth actually looks aesthetically pleasing? Interesting, but I disagree. It doesn't fit my definition of offensive sexualization.


I honestly don't know, I've never watched. I've just seen what people have said
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.