First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last

Why do people hate on Sword Art Online?

Post Reply
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14

Khaltazar wrote:

Some people tend to hate things that are popular or successful.

For example:
The popular kid at lunch, you hate them because you are not that person.
The successful business, you hate them because your business was not successful.

People are just jealous. Everyone has some jealousy, but that song "You can't always get what you want." is true. If you try hard you just might. Basically, it is someone who thinks they should be handed success without trying and hate things that have success.

There is also just hatred on something because it is not your cup of tea. For example in my case I don't like One Piece at all because I just can't mix that comedy with sometimes serious in the same series. It's just not my cup of tea. It doesn't mean overall it's bad, it just means I personally don't like it. That doesn't change the fact that some people out there may consider One Piece the best series ever while I consider it to be one of the worst.


I doubt it is jealously. Look at it from their perspective. They hate it because it gets more love than they think it deserves. I for one hate NGNL far more because it is popular due to the blatant pandering it does to the lowest of tastes. Sure, there might be some haters who just hate it to be with the in crowd (which is probably more common than this so called jealously), but it isn't too difficult to see any of the flaws of most animes that conjure such divide, such as NGNL, Code Geass, Inyuyasha, Naruto, etc.
6301 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14
-Plot holes up the ass
-Absolute garbage fairy land arc
-Camera shots of Sinon's asscrack every chance they get
-With SAO 2 they spend full episodes on useless boring dialogue
-and Plot holes up the ass

SAO is not the worst show out there, but it sure as hell doesn't deserve it's popularity.
44767 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14
I think the easiest way I can explain why some people hate SAO is through a metaphor. (This includes me although I don't really hate it, I just think its popularity is unwarranted)

If you were to compare animes to pastries, Full Metal Alchemist may be marble cake, Cowboy Bebop may be rum cake, but SAO would be nothing more than frosting.

SAO has an extremely simple and egocentric plot with shallow character development, weak foreshadowing, and corny romance. It's like a harlequin romance novel for boys. On the other hand though, it also has stunning visuals which combined with its weak plot make it sort of the Michael Bay film of the anime world.

Now that is why people may dislike it. The reason it gets so much vocal hate though is because while having such a weak story it also gets a crap load of praise. So many people hyping up something that pretty much entirely thrives on its superficial qualities is going to have a big backlash from people who enjoy substance.

In other words, SAO is extremely cliche and corny but its fans treat it like its the most profound piece of work ever. That pisses people off who would otherwise disregard it as just another harem anime.
4571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/25/14
After thinking about it, I believe it's because they come in expecting something it's not. I watch it because I know Kirito is a badass and a bit overpowered. I like that about it, I don't wanna watch some weak little shit get his ass kicked. I watch SAO because I wanna see a badass kick everyone's ass.
6301 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14


You won the thread.
38028 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14

xxJing wrote:

The reason it gets so much vocal hate though is because while having such a weak story it also gets a crap load of praise. So many people hyping up something that pretty much entirely thrives on its superficial qualities is going to have a big backlash from people who enjoy substance.

In other words, SAO is extremely cliche and corny but its fans treat it like its the most profound piece of work ever. That pisses people off who would otherwise disregard it as just another harem anime.


That's been the hate-rant-every-single-thread-hijacking-excuse for the last two years. I've never seen the fans reaction to the series be anything even remotely close to what the haters keep insisting has been happening. And that was especially true for the large swath of time between the two seasons airing- I saw almost no fans talking about the series, yet the haters never put their pitchforks away.

Fans of nearly every anime on this site gush about them and rate them higher than they deserve. Why SAO is the only one that's apparently not even allowed (in some peoples minds) to have a ordinary fan base is something I will never understand.

I'm not an idiot, I can see flaws in the anime I watch. But I enjoy doing it despite them. SAO is not a special case here; I get it, ALO has a weaker narrative than the first cour. I still think it's perfectly watchable though and in fact I think it has fewer glaring flaws then the average anime. It's like everyone is wearing blinders or something and are only picking and choosing what's good in an anime or not by the consensus of the extremely vocal minority.

At the end of the day I think the numbers speak for themselves. The vast majority watched it to completion and rated it fairly high. I'm sure that just incenses the haters all the more: "WHO CARES IF IT'S HIGHLY RATED IT SUCKS AND THEY'RE JUST FANBOYS." And maybe a lot of them are. But so what? Anime is meant to be enjoyed. Actively hating something for years, and continuing to watch it just so you can further your argument against just feels like a huge waste of time.
44767 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14

Balzack wrote:


xxJing wrote:



That's been the hate-rant-every-single-thread-hijacking-excuse for the last two years. I've never seen the fans reaction to the series be anything even remotely close to what the haters keep insisting has been happening. And that was especially true for the large swath of time between the two seasons airing- I saw almost no fans talking about the series, yet the haters never put their pitchforks away.

Fans of nearly every anime on this site gush about them and rate them higher than they deserve. Why SAO is the only one that's apparently not even allowed (in some peoples minds) to have a ordinary fan base is something I will never understand.

I'm not an idiot, I can see flaws in the anime I watch. But I enjoy doing it despite them. SAO is not a special case here; I get it, ALO has a weaker narrative than the first cour. I still think it's perfectly watchable though and in fact I think it has fewer glaring flaws then the average anime. It's like everyone is wearing blinders or something and are only picking and choosing what's good in an anime or not by the consensus of the extremely vocal minority.

At the end of the day I think the numbers speak for themselves. The vast majority watched it to completion and rated it fairly high. I'm sure that just incenses the haters all the more: "WHO CARES IF IT'S HIGHLY RATED IT SUCKS AND THEY'RE JUST FANBOYS." And maybe a lot of them are. But so what? Anime is meant to be enjoyed. Actively hating something for years, and continuing to watch it just so you can further your argument against just feels like a huge waste of time.


But it's a fun waste of time. I actually enjoy making fun of the show so it's not really hate. It's one of those shows I consider to be so bad that it's good. Where my inherent enjoyment of the show comes from laughing at how corny it is.
1029 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14
Because it has horrible writing. Anybody above the age of 12 can see that.
38028 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Bellingham WA, USA
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14
Well, I'm glad to see that this thread is proving my points.
37193 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / Michigan
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14
I dont hate SAO i actually really like it, i just wasn't a fan of the 2ed season felt like it was just a huge filler season and took away a lot that made the first one really nice. Im a huge .Hack fan and Log Horizon i haven't got caught up with GGO yet so far I'm really liking the whole FPS stuff i just wish there was more scenes of them fighting in first person that be sweet.
21260 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14
I don't hate the show but I also think it's not as good as most people say. Personally my issues with the show are the main characters Kirito and Asuna. Kirito is way overpowered and I hate overpowered mains. This is also a reason why I don't like Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei but this is another story. And Asuna annoys me with the happy family behaviour and this includes also their "child" Yui.

In my case the problem is not the story itself, I just don't have emphacy for the mains, that's all.
33772 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14
Because they're SNOBS.

If it's not deep enough, then it must be dumb. Then, everyone who watches it is guilty by association.

Well, then how come Lucky Star doesn't have nearly as much hate towards it as far as I know?

There are plenty of shows about next to nothing.

Let the snobs be snobs, and let those of us enjoy stuff keep enjoying them because those things are enjoyable to us.

As for claims of SAO being "deep", personally I haven't read any.
1029 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14

nanikore2 wrote:

Because they're SNOBS.

If it's not deep enough, then it must be dumb. Then, everyone who watches it is guilty by association.

Well, then how come Lucky Star doesn't have nearly as much hate towards it as far as I know?

There are plenty of shows about next to nothing.

Let the snobs be snobs, and let those of us enjoy stuff keep enjoying them because those things are enjoyable to us.

As for claims of SAO being "deep", personally I haven't read any.


There's a difference between shows that aim to be a compelling narrative and a slice of life comedy. Shows don't necessarily have to be "deep" to be good, but they should at least set out what they're trying to achieve.

33772 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14

johanifer33 wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Because they're SNOBS.

If it's not deep enough, then it must be dumb. Then, everyone who watches it is guilty by association.

Well, then how come Lucky Star doesn't have nearly as much hate towards it as far as I know?

There are plenty of shows about next to nothing.

Let the snobs be snobs, and let those of us enjoy stuff keep enjoying them because those things are enjoyable to us.

As for claims of SAO being "deep", personally I haven't read any.


There's a difference between shows that aim to be a compelling narrative and a slice of life comedy. Shows don't necessarily have to be "deep" to be good, but they should at least set out what they're trying to achieve.



...Which is to entertain.
22023 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / California
Offline
Posted 10/25/14 , edited 10/26/14
Only thing I dislike the about the anime is the whole incest crap. Smack some sense into Sugu and we're good to go.

But no, I think a lot of people hate it because it's a "rip off of .Hack". That's what I seem to find a lot of people saying about it when they hate on it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.