First  Prev  10024  10025  10026  10027  10028  10029  10030  10031  10032  10033  10034  10035  10036  Next  Last

•ᴗ•) ☕ Tourney CHATROOM & Directory ☕ (•ᴗ•

Post Reply
30615 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Online
Posted 2/8/19 , edited 2/9/19

Sezzie52 wrote:


BlueOni wrote:
I saw that, the Magical Girl Spec Ops one, and I want to check it out too. I love it when people play with magical girls as a concept, changing equipment, abilities, and so on outside of convention. Is it any good?

Yeah, the lack of an inbox/outbox system is really proving to be inconvenient since it's kind of necessary for private conversations. I'm legitimately angry about it at this point.



Magical Girl Spec Ops:


And yeah, I miss all my friends already. I can’t talk to anyone!


You can talk to me. I'll be your senpai-friend!

You'll probably be the senpai in this relationship though.
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/9/19
I'm thinking of picking up Kaguya-sama again because I don't have enough simulcasts even though I didn't like it.

81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/9/19

xxJing wrote:

Checking out HiDive from VRV, it actually has a lot of good stuff, ovas and movies included. I’m kind of surprised.

Neat, they have both of Oshii's Patlabor movies and NGNL:0.

Some nice stuff there. Lots of OVAs of different things too.
25389 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/9/19

Insomnist wrote:

I'm thinking of picking up Kaguya-sama again because I don't have enough simulcasts even though I didn't like it.


I thought I wasn't going to like it much either at first either. The show takes a stuffy start. It's not quite as clever as it or others make it out to be. The show does get better as it goes on though. After episode 3 I was in to it. I don't know if the show really lends well to binging, but it's starting to become the show this season that most consistently brings me smiles on its airing. If you can get over its rocky start and the enjoy the dramatic flair of arrogance for what it is, then it becomes quite nice I think. Some segments are definitely better than others, but it was good fun analyzing Chika's role in part 1 of episode 5.
70665 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/9/19
Chika brings chaos to the series. More Chika is good.
45605 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/10/19

PhantomGundam wrote:

Chika brings chaos to the series. More Chika is good.


I’m neutral on Chika. It’s probably just because I’m infatuated with Kaguya. I don’t know why but everything about that character just hits all the right buttons in me, I even think her voice actress is doing a fantastic job. She was apparently in Tenshi 3P but I don’t remember her voice particularly standing out there, yet I can’t get enough of it here.
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/9/19

Shenseiken wrote:

I thought I wasn't going to like it much either at first either. The show takes a stuffy start. It's not quite as clever as it or others make it out to be. The show does get better as it goes on though. After episode 3 I was in to it. I don't know if the show really lends well to binging, but it's starting to become the show this season that most consistently brings me smiles on its airing. If you can get over its rocky start and the enjoy the dramatic flair of arrogance for what it is, then it becomes quite nice I think. Some segments are definitely better than others, but it was good fun analyzing Chika's role in part 1 of episode 5.

Kaguya-sama and 5toubon seemed like adaptations that'd have a hard time pulling equal weight with their manga. Going in fresh would be different I think, but knowing the story already is almost like making the anime perfunctory.

Catching up on Kaguya-sama there are moments to like and there's a lot of effort behind it for sure, and it might grow on me by the time I get to the current episode. But something about its presentation just isn't clicking that great.

I kind of do want to see the rapping episode though, whenever that happens. That'd actually gain exponentially from VAs.
70665 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/10/19

xxJing wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

Chika brings chaos to the series. More Chika is good.


I’m neutral on Chika. It’s probably just because I’m infatuated with Kaguya. I don’t know why but everything about that character just hits all the right buttons in me, I even think her voice actress is doing a fantastic job. She was apparently in Tenshi 3P but I don’t remember her voice particularly standing out there, yet I can’t get enough of it here.


She and Miho Okasaki (Rimuru) have been giving some of the best performances this season. It's impressive considering they're both rookies.
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/10/19
I wonder how many EDs Kaguya-sama is going for. There's one for Kaguya and Chika, did the first episode have a different ED or did they play the OP at the end? It'd be neat if we got 4, one themed for each member of the student council.
4807 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / F / The lowest stratum
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/10/19

Shenseiken wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

I'm thinking of picking up Kaguya-sama again because I don't have enough simulcasts even though I didn't like it.


I thought I wasn't going to like it much either at first either. The show takes a stuffy start. It's not quite as clever as it or others make it out to be. The show does get better as it goes on though. After episode 3 I was in to it. I don't know if the show really lends well to binging, but it's starting to become the show this season that most consistently brings me smiles on its airing. If you can get over its rocky start and the enjoy the dramatic flair of arrogance for what it is, then it becomes quite nice I think. Some segments are definitely better than others, but it was good fun analyzing Chika's role in part 1 of episode 5.


Since the messages are gone:

Wait a minute — you too are a Gurren Lagann partisan?

25389 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/10/19

auroraloose wrote:

Since the messages are gone:

Wait a minute — you too are a Gurren Lagann partisan?



Yes. Yes. Yes!
On first view I loved its style, hated Rossiu, and wanted to pierce the heavens with bravado. On second view I started to sympathize and recognize the value of Rossiu and started to understand its message for humanity as protectors of the future, but still wondered why Gainex had to pull another weird finale. Now I'm all on board with a diverse unity of freedom and responsibility in a struggle to achieve our dreams in the most understanding and fruitful way possible.

Gurren Lagann is a show for popcorn and fun. It's a show for young males to enjoy a power fantasy and possibility. It's a show to define your idea of life and legacy if that's what you want. It's a show that keeps on giving.
4807 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / F / The lowest stratum
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/10/19

Shenseiken wrote:

Gurren Lagann is a show for popcorn and fun. It's a show for young males to enjoy a power fantasy and possibility. It's a show to define your idea of life and legacy if that's what you want. It's a show that keeps on giving.


And it's one of the shows I had in mind when I wrote this:


My point is this: a good anime might be nice to see continued, although how an anime ends can affect greatly how good it actually is. For a great anime it doesn't matter. Because when it's great, you carry it with you.


That comment was fun to write. Anyway, I'm constantly getting more out of Gurren Lagann, especially when I read philosophy: when I first saw it it reminded me of Kierkegaard and religious existentialism; eventually after a couple more times through it I realized there were multiple amusing links to Descartes. And finally I came up with that Rorty and pragmatism thing reading a book on postmodernism. I've been wanting to watch it again, as it's been a while. When I finally splurge and start that anime blog no one will ever read, Gurren Lagann will be the subject of the first essay.
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/9/19

auroraloose wrote:

And it's one of the shows I had in mind when I wrote this:

Tangents incoming:


auroraloose wrote:

One big thing this misses is how much our humor reflects our values. As painful as it may be to watch, WataMote's cringe humor is funny because the desperation is real to a lot of people (myself included). Though Tomoko never gets better, we can - and channeling the struggle through a comedy is powerful for us.

This is random, but I remember tripping over a Watamote doujin that I still think fondly of. It sped ahead a couple years to after Tomoko graduated, and had a stellar sweet love story for her. I don't know enough about Watamote to recognize the person she ended up going out with, and I didn't even realize it was about Watamote at first since everyone was older and didn't look the same. But it was such a great fanfic to trip over and it still makes me happy to think about it.


auroraloose wrote:

One of these days I'll write an essay about Sayaka from Puella Magi Madoka Magica; as cheesy as it sounds, I carry this with me - not least in that I now watch anime and look for very deep things in it. And while I don't know much about how fandoms function because I work alone as it were, people around here don't seem like they'll stone me for this so I'll say it: I wasn't bothered by the Rebellion movie. I did like it. But I didn't need it.

Sayaka absolutely killed it in Madoka, her struggles felt the least abstract and most relatable to me. My favorite shot of the franchise is still when the camera was looking at Sakura and Sayaka through a stained glass window because there were so many poignant motifs being fired off in that shot even though it was barely paused on. I think I ended up writing a borderline essay on that frame for a tounrey a year or two ago, I completely forget the context for the tounrey though.
1772 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
18 / M / Planet Earth
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/10/19
Howdy, new in the forums here. Hoping to make some buddies, so send a request if ya want and see ya around! :-)
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/9/19 , edited 2/10/19

sweetoreocookie wrote:

Howdy, new in the forums here. Hoping to make some buddies, so send a request if ya want and see ya around! :-)

Welcome, you've found our hideout.

First  Prev  10024  10025  10026  10027  10028  10029  10030  10031  10032  10033  10034  10035  10036  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.