First  Prev  10026  10027  10028  10029  10030  10031  10032  10033  10034  10035  10036  10037  10038  Next  Last

•ᴗ•) ☕ Tourney CHATROOM & Directory ☕ (•ᴗ•

Post Reply
25243 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19
Aoba was the character best suited to my taste. Watching her slowly come out of her shell and her talents be recognized by her team as a real asset was endearing. I'd say her assessment, strategy, and keeping her teammates abreast of the situation kept the absurdity taken seriously concept afloat more than any other. She also may have played the biggest role in camaraderie as nothing brought them together like communal ass-grab for her rear support play. It's a shame the source went bust before the success of the anime. But I hope some hindsight will make a difference for posterior adaptations in the end.
70101 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I feel someone guilty for having a waifu outside of Japanese animation, but uh...



Does this make me a traitor to anime? (I have a thing for blondes now, apparently. How concerning.

AND....a dentist appointment on Valentine's day. *Sighs*.


I can't see the image.
30423 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Online
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19

PhantomGundam wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I feel someone guilty for having a waifu outside of Japanese animation, but uh...



Does this make me a traitor to anime? (I have a thing for blondes now, apparently. How concerning.

AND....a dentist appointment on Valentine's day. *Sighs*.


I can't see the image.


Can you see it now?
70101 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Can you see it now?


Yeah. Who is that?
81120 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19
Man, Black Lagoon was made in 2006.

Badly timed clip, but I've wondered where this mask cut was from for a while. Seen it in a couple AMVs before.



Now I know; maybe I should try Shana.
30423 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Online
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19

PhantomGundam wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Can you see it now?


Yeah. Who is that?


Cameron MacCloud from Gen:Lock.

And so begins the year of the blonde imoutos for PV.
44985 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Can you see it now?


Yeah. Who is that?


Cameron MacCloud from Gen:Lock.

And so begins the year of the blonde imoutos for PV.


I have a soft spot for blonde characters myself. I love Olivia from Asobi Asobase for a recent one.
30423 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Online
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19
Maybe it is the ponytail. Ponytails are sexy too.

Man, finding a seasonal anime to view this season is though. I should go back to my back catalog, but it is a little less fun to watch something and not have anyone to discuss it with. Shield Hero's discussion seem to die down, but to reengage would be pointless and uninsightful bickering.

Though I did manage to classify criticisms into two categories, one I call "the technical" and that which I call "the basic".

Essentially...

-Criticisms and praises are technical when they critique some aspect of a narrative for keeping in tune with some "logic", be it consistency or lack thereof the in-universe rules ("Takahiro stated that Teigu can only be wielded by the most effective warriors, but the introduction of the bow that never misses completely contradicts that statement"), consistency to how characters act in their previously established personalities, and so on and so forth.

Technical is popularly the realm of those who like to nitpick (Think Cinemasins) over inconsistencies that are largely divorced from "the basic" criticisms and praises. It is obsessed with facts and details and may miss the larger picture.

-"The basic" is concerned with the overall picture. How does this narrative move us, affect us, how does it leave us feeling at the end? This can refer to the nuanced manipulations or the conspicuous chicanery of the creator to make us think this thought, to agree or disagree with what they believe is agreeable and disagreeable, or what we audience perceive as the purpose for the story, and all those individual yet interconnected events within a narrative.

Essentially, nomer of "the basic" is self-descriptive; it deals with the primordial and basic self, and what we consider a good or meaningful story if not exactly well-written. We then no longer argue about the veracity of fictional facts, but arguing for how our take and reaction are at the very least as justified as if it were reasoned.

The reason I do not partake in Shield Hero's discussion is that most of the topics concern the technical, be it whether or not Raphtalia's enslavement to Naofumi was for the best to the idea of aging mechanics, or at the very least argued technically. It just seems so trite and sterile, to reduce ourselves to contesting facts instead of saying "This is the series to me".
25243 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/12/19
I, too, got caught up missing the forest for the trees in most my arguments. There's just some glaringly ugly trees! The overall narrative though is for the most part effective and enjoyable. I still watch it. I just think it's dodging some of my interests to entertain other ideas for what might be particularly so in this adaptation.

I mostly stopped participating because of redundancy and lack of consideration from others who know future material.

The case can be made for KEIJO!!!!!!!! and Haruhi - ponytails are best.



25243 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19


Nngh. I cringe seeing the unmarked spoiler for a beloved show in a thread that has little to do with TTGL over all. I can see your taste in characters could make you feel understandably different on a subjective level. The narrative is equal parts important to Kamina as Rossiu though.

I don't like Satou. I enjoy her character though. ...I actually haven't seen the whole show yet, but I think I already find her more enjoyable than Mari.
81120 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19
I'm a fan of arguments for affective moral reasoning (and just affective models of reasoning in general, really), where the individual experiences an intuitive reaction but has to reason out a hypothesis to explain it. By this framework those technical arguments do reflect a basic issue, but fail to grasp it; in which case fighting them is like laying siege to the shadow of a castle instead of its walls. Especially when the shadow moves depending on the direction of the light.

It's probably related to the fight/flight/freeze responses that kept us from going extinct long enough to invent civilization though, so that's nice. I do like existing.

And maybe if the amygdala didn't react to fiction that way fiction wouldn't even work which is a scary thought.

Edit:

Shakugan no Shana looks good. It's an almost profoundly innocent story so far though. Like it's out of a picture book.


25243 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/11/19 , edited 2/11/19
Ah Shakugan no Shana. It's been so long since I watched it that I'm not sure how well it would hold up. You have to like classic tsunderes. I did enjoy it though, and Rie Kugimiya was my favorite voice actress at the time. Its setting was fascinating if a bit disgusting.

(vague narrative description for season 3)
30423 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Online
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

Shenseiken wrote:



Nngh. I cringe seeing the unmarked spoiler for a beloved show in a thread that has little to do with TTGL over all. I can see your taste in characters could make you feel understandably different on a subjective level. The narrative is equal parts important to Kamina as Rossiu though.

I don't like Satou. I enjoy her character though. ...I actually haven't seen the whole show yet, but I think I already find her more enjoyable than Mari.


But Akame Ga Kill is one of the worst series I have ever read, and the character was a throwaway who died in his own chapter, because...reason. We are talking unprecedented levels of amateur writing. Just saying. (The spoiler isn't significant at all. it sounds like it is, but it isn't at all.)

I find Satou more entertaining than Yuno, at the very least. Unlike Yuno, Satou actually has common sense, and isn't so unstable as to go off the handlebar over every minute occurrence. She is not so wantonly destructive as to be outright stupid.
81120 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

Shenseiken wrote:

Ah Shakugan no Shana. It's been so long since I watched it that I'm not sure how well it would hold up. You have to like classic tsunderes. I did enjoy it though, and Rie Kugimiya was my favorite voice actress at the time. Its setting was fascinating if a bit disgusting.

(vague narrative description for season 3)

I remember hearing a lot about that at some point, probably on a PodTaku episode or something...

Luckily I'm just catapulting myself through the third season by itself without context so I get to not care.
25243 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Shenseiken wrote:



Nngh. I cringe seeing the unmarked spoiler for a beloved show in a thread that has little to do with TTGL over all. I can see your taste in characters could make you feel understandably different on a subjective level. The narrative is equal parts important to Kamina as Rossiu though.

I don't like Satou. I enjoy her character though. ...I actually haven't seen the whole show yet, but I think I already find her more enjoyable than Mari.


But Akame Ga Kill is one of the worst series I have ever read, and the character was a throwaway who died in his own chapter, because...reason. We are talking unprecedented levels of amateur writing. Just saying. (The spoiler isn't significant at all. it sounds like it is, but it isn't at all.)

I find Satou more entertaining than Yuno, at the very least. Unlike Yuno, Satou actually has common sense, and isn't so unstable as to go off the handlebar over every minute occurrence. She is not so wantonly destructive as to be outright stupid.


Uh... Well I know I jumped threads on you, but that's not what I was talking about.
As somewhat said, I was meaning the TTGL spoiler dropped in the 2018 Character Contest. I'm not gonna push TTGL on you anymore, but some day Auroraloose will whip out on the table her fat document and show just how pregnant of thought TTGL can be and you might actually read that. (Hopefully it won't take too much outside reading for most to understand all of it.) Seriously though, perhaps spoiler box it up. I'd appreciate it. The thread and links to it are going to be around a while, and it's certainly not Akame ga Kill.

I can see what you mean about Satou, and I agree. So far she's deranged, but handling herself in a rather intelligent way - not insane based around maddening circumstances. I suppose Yuno didn't actually have to be intelligent, but she certainly wouldn't have cut it as a main character and given the mundane world, Satou has to be interesting.
First  Prev  10026  10027  10028  10029  10030  10031  10032  10033  10034  10035  10036  10037  10038  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.