First  Prev  10027  10028  10029  10030  10031  10032  10033  10034  10035  10036  10037  10038  10039  Next  Last

•ᴗ•) ☕ Tourney CHATROOM & Directory ☕ (•ᴗ•

Post Reply
81134 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

Shenseiken wrote:

I cringe seeing the unmarked spoiler for a beloved show in a thread that has little to do with TTGL over all.

I feel your pain.

In other news Tensura didn't look that great this week for being a big fight episode. The animation was pretty conservative.
25243 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

Insomnist wrote:


Shenseiken wrote:

I cringe seeing the unmarked spoiler for a beloved show in a thread that has little to do with TTGL over all.

I feel your pain.

In other news Tensura didn't look that great this week for being a big fight episode. The animation was pretty conservative.


I know I can be a real nit picker about spoilers, but this isn't a comments section or a phone call. There's plenty of options to dress them up here, it's going to last a long time, and all kinds of people can see it that might not share your values. You can edit your posts, you can box it up, and you can leave an explicit description of what's being talked about outside of it if you want to draw interest. Generally I always like the conduct, but I can be forgiving in context of old and bad stories, or in the case of the character contest, I know I'm walking in to spoilers for characters being addressed. That goes with the territory. But Gurren Lagann is a beloved show and that moment dramatically separates it from other super robot stories and gets you thinking that it might actually have something to say.

Slime had some pretty frames and a literally flashy warning about anger that I liked, but yes. It's animation was disappointing. Didn't stop Shion's tits from having something to say though.
(Episode 19)
81134 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19
It's cool when we can keep spoilers on the down low, since there's new bloods joining up all the time who don't know anything from what aired yesterday to Astro Boy. It's a weird situation where spoilers are always renewed so they never expire, not like Star Wars or Harry Potter that we all just grow up knowing about by now if only by memes.

That's been my stand on it anyway. It's almost always TTGL when it comes up too lol.

Edit:

This is a funny category. XD

30445 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

Shenseiken wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


Shenseiken wrote:



Nngh. I cringe seeing the unmarked spoiler for a beloved show in a thread that has little to do with TTGL over all. I can see your taste in characters could make you feel understandably different on a subjective level. The narrative is equal parts important to Kamina as Rossiu though.

I don't like Satou. I enjoy her character though. ...I actually haven't seen the whole show yet, but I think I already find her more enjoyable than Mari.


But Akame Ga Kill is one of the worst series I have ever read, and the character was a throwaway who died in his own chapter, because...reason. We are talking unprecedented levels of amateur writing. Just saying. (The spoiler isn't significant at all. it sounds like it is, but it isn't at all.)

I find Satou more entertaining than Yuno, at the very least. Unlike Yuno, Satou actually has common sense, and isn't so unstable as to go off the handlebar over every minute occurrence. She is not so wantonly destructive as to be outright stupid.


Uh... Well I know I jumped threads on you, but that's not what I was talking about.
As somewhat said, I was meaning the TTGL spoiler dropped in the 2018 Character Contest. I'm not gonna push TTGL on you anymore, but some day Auroraloose will whip out on the table her fat document and show just how pregnant of thought TTGL can be and you might actually read that. (Hopefully it won't take too much outside reading for most to understand all of it.) Seriously though, perhaps spoiler box it up. I'd appreciate it. The thread and links to it are going to be around a while, and it's certainly not Akame ga Kill.

I can see what you mean about Satou, and I agree. So far she's deranged, but handling herself in a rather intelligent way - not insane based around maddening circumstances. I suppose Yuno didn't actually have to be intelligent, but she certainly wouldn't have cut it as a main character and given the mundane world, Satou has to be interesting.


"Pregnant of thought". You may be the only person I know of besides me to use pregnant in such a way. I myself often say "pregnant with fear".

Oh right. I thought it was uhh...Bruce Willis is dead sort of spoilers, but I suppose I shall.
45065 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

Shenseiken wrote:

Ah Shakugan no Shana. It's been so long since I watched it that I'm not sure how well it would hold up. You have to like classic tsunderes. I did enjoy it though, and Rie Kugimiya was my favorite voice actress at the time. Its setting was fascinating if a bit disgusting.

(vague narrative description for season 3)


I loved Shakugan no Shana S3.
30445 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19
"My fist is pregnant...WITH FURY!!!"

*Launches forwards preparing to throw a highly damaging punch


Edit: Speaking of pregnancies, who wants to spend Valentine's day with their Onii-chan?
45065 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19
To me there are two types of spoilers

(1) Spoilers to mysteries: These are usually ones people actually don't post because they are the backbone of the show/book. If you spoil this, then there is MUCH less reason to watch the show / read the book.

(2) Spoilers about surprises: This is something that I personally am welcome to. I don't like surprises. Most surprises in my lifetime have been unpleasant surprises. My phone ringing is much more likely to indicate that I have to go into work on a day off than it is even something as simply pleasant as a friend calling to ask me to go hang out. I'd honestly rather know that a certain blue-haired sunglasses toting fellow is going to meet his unfortunate end beforehand rather than have it sidewind me and put me in a bad mood (I can actually think of two characters this applies to off the top of my head). I very often drop unfinished mangas fairly early if I get attached to the characters. Then I spoil myself on the outcome once they have finished before picking it up again so I can enjoy the ride without anxiety.

I've gotten much better, but there were certain anime during my teenage years that put me in a horrible mood for at least a week.

30445 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

xxJing wrote:

To me there are two types of spoilers

(1) Spoilers to mysteries: These are usually ones people actually don't post because they are the backbone of the show/book. If you spoil this, then there is MUCH less reason to watch the show / read the book.

(2) Spoilers about surprises: This is something that I personally am welcome to. I don't like surprises. Most surprises in my lifetime have been unpleasant surprises. My phone ringing is much more likely to indicate that I have to go into work on a day off than it is even something as simply pleasant as a friend calling to ask me to go hang out. I'd honestly rather know that a certain blue-haired sunglasses toting fellow is going to meet his unfortunate end beforehand rather than have it sidewind me and put me in a bad mood (I can actually think of two characters this applies to off the top of my head). I very often drop unfinished mangas fairly early if I get attached to the characters. Then I spoil myself on the outcome once they have finished before picking it up again so I can enjoy the ride without anxiety.

I've gotten much better, but there were certain anime during my teenage years that put me in a horrible mood for at least a week.



I felt that stories that wished to make a lasting impression with subverting its unassuming prelude with something shocking or horrific would only work in the most fragile of circumstances.

Namely, if something that seems run of the mill is all the rage, with many individuals asking others to watch the first episode with only the vaguest of hints, then anyone would assume that there is a twist that will undermine the impression we have gotten. As any veteran of M. Night Shamalayan's filmography can tell you, simply knowing the presence of a twist will almost certainly lessen its impact. So for a twist to work, it must be a complete surprise, and that requires viewers to stumble upon the work with the least of expectations.

It also doesn't help that most people aren't so gullible. There are thematic undertones of vying for the most "generic" of this genre or the other that will soon be subverted, giving it an appearance of lacking authenticity.

That, and what are surprises suppose to do? They are transient moments of shock, but once the expectation has been turned on its head, what else can be done to match it? Nothing but to follow that tone. Does it serve a purpose? To an extent, it can beyond the gratuitous, but often I don't find it necessary to include it. I dislike surprises like this because they all usually are attempts to frighten, anger, or frustrate the audience.
25243 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19
Yet another great thing the narrative does with that moment in Gurren Lagann -

I'm not saying it shouldn't be said. It's worth talking about for people that know. It's also possibly better for some to know ahead of time if they don't think they could have enjoyed the show otherwise, but a spoiler box with a description makes everyone happy.

Surprises are really difficult to encourage though, as PV said. How am I supposed to get my friend to watch a cute girls doing zombie things show without sitting him down in my living room. This isn't a Shamallama work though. It's just one the highest rated anime that most people should give a shot and I think that works well enough on its own.

Also, yeah. I had a heavy ambivalence with S3 Shana. Hated it, but thought it was quite interesting.
30445 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

Shenseiken wrote:

Yet another great thing the narrative does with that moment in Gurren Lagann -

I'm not saying it shouldn't be said. It's worth talking about for people that know. It's also possibly better for some to know ahead of time if they don't think they could have enjoyed the show otherwise, but a spoiler box with a description makes everyone happy.

Surprises are really difficult to encourage though, as PV said. How am I supposed to get my friend to watch a cute girls doing zombie things show without sitting him down in my living room. This isn't a Shamallama work though. It's just one the highest rated anime that most people should give a shot and I think that works well enough on its own.

Also, yeah. I had a heavy ambivalence with S3 Shana. Hated it, but thought it was quite interesting.


I was honestly not talking about Tenga Toppa Langan Gurren

I was thinking of Goblin Slayer, School-Live, and basically any other series with a first episode twist. If you are referencing Zombie Land Saga, then I cannot honestly attest to it as having a twist, rather than being a twist on the idol genre itself. I rather things be unabashedly as unashamed as Elfen lewd Lied, rather than dragging the audience through a boring and sugary illusion that we all know will be subverted with horrible events.

Damn, I am using the term twist a great deal today. How twisted.

Though you are right. School-Live did serve a purpose as Happy Sugar Life did, as it sneakily introduced the format and or elements for their respective series, whether they be...



Or...



On discussing Goblin Slayer, Aurora-imouto reply concerning gratuity fueled some thought in me. Many of the series detractors such as myself complained that the comedy and fan service contrasted too heavily with the melancholic and brutal tone of the series' darker moments, with many deeming the work "edgy".

If we were to define "edgy" as "utilizing provocative elements to shock the audience", then this is rather inconsistent with the previous line "the comedy and fan service contrasted too heavily with the melancholic and brutal tone of the series' darker moments". Wouldn't our purpose to watching Goblin Slayer to see all manners of violence unto goblins as Goblin Slayer wages a one man genocide against Goblin kind? If the answer is "yes", then wouldn't the light heartedness of the comedic scenes in themselves be gratuitous for the type of narrative the author seemingly wishes to create?
25243 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/12/19

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I was honestly not talking about Tenga Toppa Langan Gurren

I was thinking of Goblin Slayer, School-Live, and basically any other series with a first episode twist. If you are referencing Zombie Land Saga, then I cannot honestly attest to it as having a twist, rather than being a twist on the idol genre itself.

Damn, I am using the term twist a great deal today.How twisted.

You weren't? With the Bruce Willis comment? I guess quotes would still be useful sometimes.

The CGDZT comment was about -

I can't recommend it to a friend to watch online because he'll just look it up a wiki to see if I actually have any clue to his interests. As you say, I can't tell him to not look anything up about it or he'll know something is up. Short of inviting him over I can't make it effective and that would be a really expensive laugh. ZLS only worked as a surprise because they didn't release any info really until it aired.

I was trying to be absurdly crude with her "whipping it out" and her fat document giving pregnancy to Gurren Lagann in attempt to be humorous so that you would understand I wasn't sore about you skimming my response. I almost never use pregnant outside of humor and rarely so, but maybe I should.
30445 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/13/19

Shenseiken wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I was honestly not talking about Tenga Toppa Langan Gurren

I was thinking of Goblin Slayer, School-Live, and basically any other series with a first episode twist. If you are referencing Zombie Land Saga, then I cannot honestly attest to it as having a twist, rather than being a twist on the idol genre itself.

Damn, I am using the term twist a great deal today.How twisted.

You weren't? With the Bruce Willis comment? I guess quotes would still be useful sometimes.

The CGDZT comment was about -

I can't recommend it to a friend to watch online because he'll just look it up a wiki to see if I actually have any clue to his interests. As you say, I can't tell him to not look anything up about it or he'll know something is up. Short of inviting him over I can't make it effective and that would be a really expensive laugh. ZLS only worked as a surprise because they didn't release any info really until it aired.

I was trying to be absurdly crude with her "whipping it out" and her fat document giving pregnancy to Gurren Lagann in attempt to be humorous so that you would understand I wasn't sore about you skimming my response. I almost never use pregnant outside of humor and rarely so, but maybe I should.


....Oh. So does this make me a weirdo?

*Becomes pregnant with fear now.

I honestly remembered The Village being a thing, and despite having viewed it only once, there were just so many instances of poor logic. One of Shamalayan's most famous films is The Sixth Sense, where he soon became known for incorporating twists in his works, as Michael Bay has become known for incorporating explosions in his films and Adam Sandler for incorporating bad humour.



Though this is me rambling.



Shenseiken wrote:

I was trying to be absurdly crude with her "whipping it out" and her fat document giving pregnancy to Gurren Lagann in attempt to be humorous.


How degenerate! Auroraloose is my imouto! What kind of perverted siscon do you take me for?!
45065 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/13/19

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:

To me there are two types of spoilers

(1) Spoilers to mysteries: These are usually ones people actually don't post because they are the backbone of the show/book. If you spoil this, then there is MUCH less reason to watch the show / read the book.

(2) Spoilers about surprises: This is something that I personally am welcome to. I don't like surprises. Most surprises in my lifetime have been unpleasant surprises. My phone ringing is much more likely to indicate that I have to go into work on a day off than it is even something as simply pleasant as a friend calling to ask me to go hang out. I'd honestly rather know that a certain blue-haired sunglasses toting fellow is going to meet his unfortunate end beforehand rather than have it sidewind me and put me in a bad mood (I can actually think of two characters this applies to off the top of my head). I very often drop unfinished mangas fairly early if I get attached to the characters. Then I spoil myself on the outcome once they have finished before picking it up again so I can enjoy the ride without anxiety.

I've gotten much better, but there were certain anime during my teenage years that put me in a horrible mood for at least a week.



I felt that stories that wished to make a lasting impression with subverting its unassuming prelude with something shocking or horrific would only work in the most fragile of circumstances.

Namely, if something that seems run of the mill is all the rage, with many individuals asking others to watch the first episode with only the vaguest of hints, then anyone would assume that there is a twist that will undermine the impression we have gotten. As any veteran of M. Night Shamalayan's filmography can tell you, simply knowing the presence of a twist will almost certainly lessen its impact. So for a twist to work, it must be a complete surprise, and that requires viewers to stumble upon the work with the least of expectations.

It also doesn't help that most people aren't so gullible. There are thematic undertones of vying for the most "generic" of this genre or the other that will soon be subverted, giving it an appearance of lacking authenticity.

That, and what are surprises suppose to do? They are transient moments of shock, but once the expectation has been turned on its head, what else can be done to match it? Nothing but to follow that tone. Does it serve a purpose? To an extent, it can beyond the gratuitous, but often I don't find it necessary to include it. I dislike surprises like this because they all usually are attempts to frighten, anger, or frustrate the audience.


My point was that a lot of people find enjoyment in not knowing what's going to happen. I don't, unless it's a mystery, because then it is a challenge.

I'm just as happy, if not happier, experiencing something for the 2nd or 3rd time as I am the first. I very often proactively spoil things for myself as I've said.

I knew of Goblin Slayer's first scene before the anime aired. However, even if I didn't, it wouldn't have made the series any more enjoyable for me. I find that type of depiction of events distasteful. The only saving grace is that it wasn't trying to justify a cuck rape scene like SAO constantly does.
25243 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
35 / M / Floridamned
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/13/19

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

On discussing Goblin Slayer, Aurora-imouto reply concerning gratuity fueled some thought in me. Many of the series detractors such as myself complained that the comedy and fan service contrasted too heavily with the melancholic and brutal tone of the series' darker moments, with many deeming the work "edgy".

If we were to define "edgy" as "utilizing provocative elements to shock the audience", then this is rather inconsistent with the previous line "the comedy and fan service contrasted too heavily with the melancholic and brutal tone of the series' darker moments". Wouldn't our purpose to watching Goblin Slayer to see all manners of violence unto goblins as Goblin Slayer wages a one man genocide against Goblin kind? If the answer is "yes", then wouldn't the light heartedness of the comedic scenes in themselves be gratuitous for the type of narrative the author seemingly wishes to create?


That's a fair point of criticism for GS. Its transposing atmospheres can make its content feel shallow. I feel the real story is GS himself and how his comrades might one day heal him. We get to see him struggle with his plight by goblins ubiquitously even in a friendly atmosphere. It brings tension to even his home life at the farm.

However, the fanservice when he's not around would only at best serve to develop the character of his allies so we better understand them. That really makes the first episode only good to introduce us to the nastier parts of the setting. After watching the whole show, I'd say it really was excessive to have at that point and gratuitous if not for the purpose of culling viewers that might feel cheated later on. That could have been accomplished just as easily with tag options left to those responsible enough to look for them. Though almost no where have I found a site that respectfully makes tags available and shown only by option. I felt the surprise was cheap, personally. I was, however, fine with how the sensitive content was shown. I was disgusted and aroused, and then disgusted again because of it. And I think that's genuinely how I was supposed to feel and appropriate for understanding such an idea.

I'm pretty sure The Village was supposed to be filled with ideas of bad horror narrative for humor sake. I thought it was quite fun. ...Oh, wait. That village. Thought this was Mayoiga for a moment. I've never seen The Village. I had my fill of Shamallama after Signs.
30445 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Offline
Posted 2/12/19 , edited 2/13/19

Shenseiken wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

On discussing Goblin Slayer, Aurora-imouto reply concerning gratuity fueled some thought in me. Many of the series detractors such as myself complained that the comedy and fan service contrasted too heavily with the melancholic and brutal tone of the series' darker moments, with many deeming the work "edgy".

If we were to define "edgy" as "utilizing provocative elements to shock the audience", then this is rather inconsistent with the previous line "the comedy and fan service contrasted too heavily with the melancholic and brutal tone of the series' darker moments". Wouldn't our purpose to watching Goblin Slayer to see all manners of violence unto goblins as Goblin Slayer wages a one man genocide against Goblin kind? If the answer is "yes", then wouldn't the light heartedness of the comedic scenes in themselves be gratuitous for the type of narrative the author seemingly wishes to create?


That's a fair point of criticism for GS. Its transposing atmospheres can make its content feel shallow. I feel the real story is GS himself and how his comrades might one day heal him. We get to see him struggle with his plight by goblins ubiquitously even in a friendly atmosphere. It brings tension to even his home life at the farm.

However, the fanservice when he's not around would only at best serve to develop the character of his allies so we better understand them. That really makes the first episode only good to introduce us to the nastier parts of the setting. After watching the whole show, I'd say it really was excessive to have at that point and gratuitous if not for the purpose of culling viewers that might feel cheated later on. That could have been accomplished just as easily with tag options left to those responsible enough to look for them. Though almost no where have I found a site that respectfully makes tags available and shown only by option. I felt the surprise was cheap, personally. I was, however, fine with how the sensitive content was shown. I was disgusted and aroused, and then disgusted again because of it. And I think that's genuinely how I was supposed to feel and appropriate for understanding such an idea.

I'm pretty sure The Village was supposed to be filled with ideas of bad horror narrative for humor sake. I thought it was quite fun. ...Oh, wait. That village. Thought this was Mayoiga for a moment. I've never seen The Village. I had my fill of Shamallama after Signs.


In terms of effective fanservice, the scene with Priestess and Sword Maiden seemed to fulfill the criteria of characterization you described.



Overall, it did detract from the atmosphere, especially given the debut of Cowgirl's udders in the second episode's first few seconds.

I was reminded of M. Night Shamalayan given twists; that, and he is making a resurgence alongside Jeff Goldblum. What a wacky world we live in. I realize now that his twists are more late story commonplace in the mysteries that XxxJing referenced, and not the first episode subversion of the series we mentioned.

Oh, and thank you. You remind me of my phrase of the day.


"How could so much wrong exist in so little space?"

-PV


First  Prev  10027  10028  10029  10030  10031  10032  10033  10034  10035  10036  10037  10038  10039  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.