First  Prev  10034  10035  10036  10037  10038  10039  10040  10041  10042  10043  10044  10045  10046  Next  Last

•ᴗ•) ☕ Tourney CHATROOM & Directory ☕ (•ᴗ•

Post Reply
44833 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19

jcal94 wrote:

So, the episode of Hunter x Hunter right before Gon loses it in the Chimera Ant arc is called "Mahou de Zetsubou" in Japanese. That translates to roughly "Magic and Despair" or "Magic in Despair", depending on how "de" is used, since it's normally used to describe the location an action takes place at... The dub lists the episode as "Magic to Destroy"... Ummm... the "to" aside, how do you get "destroy" from "zetsubou"?

Anyways... NEXT WEEK IS THE EPISODE I'VE BEEN WAITING AGES FOR IN THIS SHOW


De also means “by means of” (though reading from right to left)
Mahou de zetsubou also can mean, “despair by means of magic”

Like

Kenjuu de shasatsu ( shot to death by means of a handgun)

Personally I’d probably translate the title as “Devastating Magic” depending on what happens in the episode.
81030 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19
It's fascinating how much atmosphere Saki has considering its production values are so modest.

30381 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Online
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19


I thought we were getting an Oregairu spinoff, in an alternate universe where they added boobs to Totsuka Saika.
44833 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19
True story. My high school mascot was a Ram and girls on sports teams wore shorts with school colors and written on the ass portion of the shorts was “Ram This”

I am still dumbfounded about how that was actually a thing. I am also extremely happy that I was able to be there to witness it.
35358 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

added boobs to Totsuka Saika.


What are these blasphemous words?
55621 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / West Africa
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19

jcal94 wrote:

Oh yeah, don't think I mentioned it here yet. Got accepted by my university into the study abroad program for Nanzan University So gotta get my paperwork for that filled out, and I get stuff from Nanzan themselves March 1st. It's crazy thinking that after spending what will be 25 years in the Midwest, aside from trips to the rest of the continental US no more than 2 weeks long, I'll be going to the other side of the world for 9 months


Gratz, I have a bud over in that uni, as a perma grad student there!

Also I saw HxH post above this, *fine exquisite tastes*
30381 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Online
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19
I wish I could study abroad in Japan. Then...I could adopt the entire universities full of imoutos!
81030 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19
Made me laugh.

81030 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19
Edit: Glad I didn't have to scroll far to find F/Z:



With The Lord of the Rings Peter Jackson talked about doing a lot of complex forced perspective shots early that clearly showed the height of Hobbits versus someone like Gandalf, so that later that knowledge was ingrained in the audience and you didn't have to make a big deal out of it in every shot.

Here's a 2-3 second scene in Tekkaman Blade of someone's feet sinking into the sand as they walk across a desert, high effort investment for a quick cut but now throughout the rest of the episode the fact that they're dragging their bare feet through loose sand is embedded and they can do easy cuts the rest of the way.

Made me think of the LotR thing.

21486 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / Nagoya, Japan
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19

xxJing wrote:


jcal94 wrote:

So, the episode of Hunter x Hunter right before Gon loses it in the Chimera Ant arc is called "Mahou de Zetsubou" in Japanese. That translates to roughly "Magic and Despair" or "Magic in Despair", depending on how "de" is used, since it's normally used to describe the location an action takes place at... The dub lists the episode as "Magic to Destroy"... Ummm... the "to" aside, how do you get "destroy" from "zetsubou"?

Anyways... NEXT WEEK IS THE EPISODE I'VE BEEN WAITING AGES FOR IN THIS SHOW


De also means “by means of” (though reading from right to left)
Mahou de zetsubou also can mean, “despair by means of magic”

Like

Kenjuu de shasatsu ( shot to death by means of a handgun)

Personally I’d probably translate the title as “Devastating Magic” depending on what happens in the episode.


Huh, interesting. Don't think we've gotten to that version of it, yet. Still, even if it was used in the manner you mentioned (again, the lack of a verb throws me off), I don't see how getting things like destroy or devastate (although devastate is closer than destroy, since it implies emotional value too) can be gotten from "zetsubou", which is literally despair or hopelessness, nothing about destruction in the word.

Plus, I don't even know what that title had to do with the episode, the only instance of "magic" I could think of would be Pouf imitating Koumugi's voice for like, 10 seconds, and that more just put Pitou at ease



cay032692 wrote:


jcal94 wrote:

Oh yeah, don't think I mentioned it here yet. Got accepted by my university into the study abroad program for Nanzan University So gotta get my paperwork for that filled out, and I get stuff from Nanzan themselves March 1st. It's crazy thinking that after spending what will be 25 years in the Midwest, aside from trips to the rest of the continental US no more than 2 weeks long, I'll be going to the other side of the world for 9 months


Gratz, I have a bud over in that uni, as a perma grad student there!

Also I saw HxH post above this, *fine exquisite tastes*


Thanks guys!

How does your friend like Nanzan? It seems like a great place from the research I've done, but of course all student testimonials are ones in the brochures, so they'll obviously be good When I get over there, I'll need to search out where the grad students congregate (so aka, head to the library) and go "WHO HERE KNOWS SOMEONE WHO WOULD USE THE USERNAME CAY!?". Cause drawing attention to yourself in Japan is perfectly common and acceptable

Also, do you know how they became a perma grad student? I am highly considering trying to find how to transfer there to complete my senior year there after studying abroad for my junior year, so if your friend has some knowledge that you could pass on, it'd help out a ton!
30381 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M / An Imouto's Lap
Online
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19
To be fair, they translated "The One I Love is My Little Sister, But She Is Not a Little Sister" to "My Sister, My Writer", and "It'd be Good if Only Little Sister Was Here" To a Sister is All You Need", which is more egregious a translation change as they forgo the honoured title of "Little Sister", and just said "Sister", which is much too ambiguous.

*Googles Nanzan University*


Nanzan University is a private, coeducational Catholic university located in Aichi Prefecture, Japan


Catholic, you say?



55621 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / West Africa
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19

jcal94 wrote:

Thanks guys!

How does your friend like Nanzan? It seems like a great place from the research I've done, but of course all student testimonials are ones in the brochures, so they'll obviously be good When I get over there, I'll need to search out where the grad students congregate (so aka, head to the library) and go "WHO HERE KNOWS SOMEONE WHO WOULD USE THE USERNAME CAY!?". Cause drawing attention to yourself in Japan is perfectly common and acceptable

Also, do you know how they became a perma grad student? I am highly considering trying to find how to transfer there to complete my senior year there after studying abroad for my junior year, so if your friend has some knowledge that you could pass on, it'd help out a ton!


LOL, he seems to love it a lot hes studying Anthropology there and if I recall correctly working in some Entomology program there as well. I can't recall how he transferred fully to Grad there, think he was a undergrad in USC with a Religious study program then did an internship/abroad program there and likely got enough recommendations to apply to be a grad student. Also if you do that and he was there he would def know who you were yelling about

Ill try to get more info whens hes free, but at least from last time we talked about his move and perma living in japan, it was him going over there then coming back here for a gap year here in cali before going back to Nanza as a grad, so he did finish in USC before the move.
81030 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/17/19
I think if I knew Japanese I'd pay more attention to episode titles. I remember a list of Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko episodes and they had an almost poetic flair, but another list of the same episodes could read as dull as a log.

Seems like something where there's a lot of potential for charm but that doesn't always translate.

Although from this I've gathered the kanji for phoenix can mean undead butterfly? Which is cool. Not quite sure how literal that is either, but the essence of an undying cycle involving a form of metamorphosis sounds like a clever fit.

Edit: Breaking it down in Google translate it selling me: Stand, Immortal Butterfly.

Edit: Temporary Surface becomes Mask, and Statement White becomes Confession. Kanji are neat!
44833 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/18/19

jcal94 wrote:


xxJing wrote:


jcal94 wrote:

So, the episode of Hunter x Hunter right before Gon loses it in the Chimera Ant arc is called "Mahou de Zetsubou" in Japanese. That translates to roughly "Magic and Despair" or "Magic in Despair", depending on how "de" is used, since it's normally used to describe the location an action takes place at... The dub lists the episode as "Magic to Destroy"... Ummm... the "to" aside, how do you get "destroy" from "zetsubou"?

Anyways... NEXT WEEK IS THE EPISODE I'VE BEEN WAITING AGES FOR IN THIS SHOW


De also means “by means of” (though reading from right to left)
Mahou de zetsubou also can mean, “despair by means of magic”

Like

Kenjuu de shasatsu ( shot to death by means of a handgun)

Personally I’d probably translate the title as “Devastating Magic” depending on what happens in the episode.


Huh, interesting. Don't think we've gotten to that version of it, yet. Still, even if it was used in the manner you mentioned (again, the lack of a verb throws me off), I don't see how getting things like destroy or devastate (although devastate is closer than destroy, since it implies emotional value too) can be gotten from "zetsubou", which is literally despair or hopelessness, nothing about destruction in the word.

Plus, I don't even know what that title had to do with the episode, the only instance of "magic" I could think of would be Pouf imitating Koumugi's voice for like, 10 seconds, and that more just put Pitou at ease

So I brought it up on VRV. The list title says Magic X to X Destroy, but the subtitles say Magic X of X Despair. So I think the bigger problem here is the inconsistency lol.

Well hopelessness usually is a result of destruction or devastation. Occasionally devastation can be used in place of despair to the same effect.

Also zetsubou can be a verb, zetsubou suru, means to despair, or to be in despair. It’s Zetsubou-Sensei’s catch phrase, “Zetsubou shita!” And then he proceeds to lament about a certain part of society that makes him feel hopeless. Very often in titles or headlines though the verb part is omitted and the usage of the word is left up to context.

Japanese is a lot less restrictive than English when it comes to grammar.


44833 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 2/17/19 , edited 2/18/19

Insomnist wrote:

I think if I knew Japanese I'd pay more attention to episode titles. I remember a list of Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko episodes and they had an almost poetic flair, but another list of the same episodes could read as dull as a log.

Seems like something where there's a lot of potential for charm but that doesn't always translate.

Although from this I've gathered the kanji for phoenix can mean undead butterfly? Which is cool. Not quite sure how literal that is either, but the essence of an undying cycle involving a form of metamorphosis sounds like a clever fit.

Edit: Breaking it down in Google translate it selling me: Stand, Immortal Butterfly.

Edit: Temporary Surface becomes Mask, and Statement White becomes Confession. Kanji are neat!


Butterfly and a certain reading of the kanji for bird are homonyms. A lot of Japanese words are.
蝶 butterfly (Chou)
鳥 bird (tori, CHOU)
不死鳥 immortal bird, Phoenix. (Fushichou)
First  Prev  10034  10035  10036  10037  10038  10039  10040  10041  10042  10043  10044  10045  10046  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.