First  Prev  10077  10078  10079  10080  10081  10082  10083  10084  10085  10086  10087  10088  10089  Next  Last

•ᴗ•) ☕ Tourney CHATROOM & Directory ☕ (•ᴗ•

Post Reply
81130 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/8/19 , edited 7/8/19
Cop Craft is one of the higher shows on my list atm; I like that the characters are assertive, but fallible; it creates a situation where they have personal strengths and weaknesses that compensate for one another; there's an acknowledgement of authority and experience rather than being loose cannons with adolescent assurance; when Tirana found a world of gray where she expected black and white she directly questioned and sought information to correct her understanding.

For anime characters that's a relatively huge level of maturity compared to a lot of more escapist fantasy.

Not sure about the plot or anything yet but it's at least off to a decent start.

Also a new chance to try a show with Range Murata's character designs that I might be into more than the others.
14076 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
29 / F
Offline
Posted 7/9/19 , edited 7/9/19
I finally started the summer season (I want to watch at least one episode of every new anime this season).

To the Abandoned Sacred Beasts is a weird adaption. It took them 1.5 episodes to get to the first chapter of the manga. It's not as good as I hoped it'd be (it feels a lot like the people who are working on it don't care that much about it) but it isn't bad either. I guess I'll keep it as anime I'll watch while doing something else.

Magical Sempai made me smile once or twice but it's neither my humor nor my kind of fanservice. Dropped.

Are you Lost? was okay and I might watch another episode but I probably won't watch more than this.

Yamishibai season 7 wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be but that doesn't mean a lot. There were good moments in this episode that focused on creating a creepy atmosphere but the twist at the end was too predictable. I'll probably still watch the entire season since the episodes are pretty short.
81130 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/9/19 , edited 7/9/19
Man someone making world bosses for 8.2 hates people.

This is at least the third open world boss encounter in Nazjatar has been like "And now everybody dies lol."

Edit: Ayy got the mount off Arachnoid Harvester. Now I can just sit my alts at Rustfeather.
70139 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 7/10/19 , edited 7/10/19
I was looking forward to Arifureta, but it looks like everyone's saying the first episode was an enormous dumpster fire. Apparently it's not even being made by White Fox. It's just Asread. I think I'll probably avoid this one.
81130 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/10/19 , edited 7/10/19

PhantomGundam wrote:

I was looking forward to Arifureta, but it looks like everyone's saying the first episode was an enormous dumpster fire. Apparently it's not even being made by White Fox. It's just Asread. I think I'll probably avoid this one.

They kinda dropped the ball. It might even out a little next week but they've already mad-dashed through most of the good parts where it's isekai survivalist fiction. I hoped we'd get at least three episodes out of that but apparently not.
45009 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 7/12/19 , edited 7/12/19

Insomnist wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

I was looking forward to Arifureta, but it looks like everyone's saying the first episode was an enormous dumpster fire. Apparently it's not even being made by White Fox. It's just Asread. I think I'll probably avoid this one.

They kinda dropped the ball. It might even out a little next week but they've already mad-dashed through most of the good parts where it's isekai survivalist fiction. I hoped we'd get at least three episodes out of that but apparently not.


I haven’t read any source material, so my unbiased opinion here is that I really enjoyed it.

I mean, yeah it was a mess, but it was a good kind of mess in my opinion. There are few shows that go that far into edgelord territory where they come out the other side as being ironically good.

There was this kid I went to high school with who was a real dork, like thinking back on it he must have been autistic to some degree. And while normally he was annoying to deal with, when someone genuinely pissed him off, oh god what a show that was. A teacher during study hall tried to confiscate his Pokémon cards, and he just completely blew up on the teacher insulting him like you’d never seen before. I remember he said something like “Couldn’t get a college degree so your stuck babysitting kids in a study hall. Does taking things away make you feel like a big man?” God it was glorious.

I feel that way about this show.
81130 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/12/19 , edited 7/12/19

xxJing wrote:

I haven’t read any source material, so my unbiased opinion here is that I really enjoyed it.

I mean, yeah it was a mess, but it was a good kind of mess in my opinion. There are few shows that go that far into edgelord territory where they come out the other side as being ironically good.

There was this kid I went to high school with who was a real dork, like thinking back on it he must have been autistic to some degree. And while normally he was annoying to deal with, when someone genuinely pissed him off, oh god what a show that was. A teacher during study hall tried to confiscate his Pokémon cards, and he just completely blew up on the teacher insulting him like you’d never seen before. I remember he said something like “Couldn’t get a college degree so your stuck babysitting kids in a study hall. Does taking things away make you feel like a big man?” God it was glorious.

I feel that way about this show.



I liked it because it focused all its edginess into a pretty decent Robinson Crusoe isekai opening arc where the kid was able to put two and two together to survive. You wouldn't know it but that first episode literally covered months of time. But now that they're past it already it's just going to be basic harem isekai with a grudge the rest of the way.

It was Tokyo Ghoul sequels levels of mess for the only part of the story I actually wanted to see.

Edit:

Actually I'll get another week out of it I think, but after that I'm really not confident.

Also Friday has so many shows this season, holy heck.
45009 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 7/12/19 , edited 7/13/19
Woot robotics notes elite is coming to Steam. I really want to play the game, I started watching a play through on YouTube but it was the only one and like it only covered a very small portion of the game.

While decent, unfortunately the anime of Robotics notes is heavily abridged. There is so much more to the game, and the story interests me so I’m looking forward to this.

Now if only they’d put the entire Trails of... Evolution series on something other than Vita. (Trails of the sky Fc, sc, the third, Zero, and Ao) the evolution series is fully voiced and has improved anime art. I watched a play through of the Trails of the Skies Evolution games, and it’s like one of my favorite JRPGs now. The story, the voice acting... if it was a full blown anime, it would be right up there with FMA and HxH in legendary status. That’s how well everything is done in that game. (The movies don’t count, they’re okay but they are HEAVILY abridged and change quite a few parts of the story.) Its like if you took Grandia, and made it really long, while also not forfeiting the quality. That is Trails of the Skies.
81130 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
30 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 7/12/19 , edited 7/13/19
Oof. I know I'm more susceptible to this stuff for whatever reason but I hope the rest of Danmachi isn't this level of stressful.

Edit:

Granbelm ain't bad.
45009 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 7/13/19 , edited 7/13/19

Insomnist wrote:

Oof. I know I'm more susceptible to this stuff for whatever reason but I hope the rest of Danmachi isn't this level of stressful.


What the fuck is with that rape face, there is always a villain that does that in these shows.

I’m always on the fence with Danmachi, and the reason that I am also plays into why I prefer Sword Oratoria.

Danmachi has some interesting world building ideas, but it also plays to quite a few of the typical tropes of the genre. The adventure harem genre I guess it would be, which is primarily constructed from isekai.

Sword Oratoria, by virtue of having the protagonist of the entire franchise absent (Bell), never really falls into those tropes tho, because hey, who the fuck really cares how these characters are threatened since they aren’t the self insert protagonist. To the vast majority of people, that seems to be a detriment, they love that an entire world revolves around one character. For me who doesn’t though, a show where he doesn’t matter, really helps me enjoy the world.

Right now, Dr Stone is my jam. I am fucking loving that show, like Hunter x Hunter levels of enjoyment for me. It’s like an isekai where you get transported into Ark rather than any fantasy game / mmorpg. Gather shit, build shit, develop technology from the ground up. All that’s missing is dinosaurs, instead we have wild animals. Still though, beautiful novel shonen. There really is nothing like a good shonen, they are the most well rounded. Other platforms tend to rely on abusing certain themes that are proven to incite reactions in people.
21486 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / Nagoya, Japan
Offline
Posted 7/14/19 , edited 7/14/19

xxJing wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

Oof. I know I'm more susceptible to this stuff for whatever reason but I hope the rest of Danmachi isn't this level of stressful.


What the fuck is with that rape face, there is always a villain that does that in these shows.

I’m always on the fence with Danmachi, and the reason that I am also plays into why I prefer Sword Oratoria.

Danmachi has some interesting world building ideas, but it also plays to quite a few of the typical tropes of the genre. The adventure harem genre I guess it would be, which is primarily constructed from isekai.

Sword Oratoria, by virtue of having the protagonist of the entire franchise absent (Bell), never really falls into those tropes tho, because hey, who the fuck really cares how these characters are threatened since they aren’t the self insert protagonist. To the vast majority of people, that seems to be a detriment, they love that an entire world revolves around one character. For me who doesn’t though, a show where he doesn’t matter, really helps me enjoy the world.


I mean... gods and goddesses from the different pantheons kinda have a reputation for being pretty rapey... If both of you have problems with sexual drama, then good luck with this season. Apollo is, well, Apollo, so he wants to win Bell to basically add to his prettyboy harem. The next arc revolves around Ishtar, the Babylonian goddess of lust, fertility, beauty, etc, and spends the majority of the time in the red light district of Orario, with topics like prostitution and even implications of human trafficking/enslavement. Danmachi is a seinen with the mask of a shonen. The themes only get heavier as the series goes on, with things like xenophobia and genocide in future arcs.

I also wouldn't call Bell a self-insert protagonist... The whole thing is his story, and he gets a lot of development throughout the course of the series. Admittedly, it was jilted a bit in the first season because of J.C. Staff rushing through 5 volumes, but this whole season is just 2 volumes, so there should be a lot more they can faithfully adapt with his growth. Plus, I've never understood the whole "this story follows one person, it sucks" thing... The story of base Danmachi is literally Bell's growth story. It's basically a fantasy My Hero Academia, where instead of seeing Deku become the greatest superhero, we see Bell become the greatest adventurer hero. The whole purpose of Sword Oratoria was for Omori to be able to expand the world lore of the series without interfering with Bell's story. Danmachi is supposed to revolve around one character, and then the side stories give the world-building that can't be naturally introduced in Bell's story without completely halting the momentum.
35364 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
25 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 7/14/19 , edited 7/14/19
I'm not saying Kirika is my new favourite in Symphogear, but I am saying I very much approve of her new transformation.
45009 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 7/14/19 , edited 7/14/19

jcal94 wrote:


xxJing wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

Oof. I know I'm more susceptible to this stuff for whatever reason but I hope the rest of Danmachi isn't this level of stressful.


What the fuck is with that rape face, there is always a villain that does that in these shows.

I’m always on the fence with Danmachi, and the reason that I am also plays into why I prefer Sword Oratoria.

Danmachi has some interesting world building ideas, but it also plays to quite a few of the typical tropes of the genre. The adventure harem genre I guess it would be, which is primarily constructed from isekai.

Sword Oratoria, by virtue of having the protagonist of the entire franchise absent (Bell), never really falls into those tropes tho, because hey, who the fuck really cares how these characters are threatened since they aren’t the self insert protagonist. To the vast majority of people, that seems to be a detriment, they love that an entire world revolves around one character. For me who doesn’t though, a show where he doesn’t matter, really helps me enjoy the world.


I mean... gods and goddesses from the different pantheons kinda have a reputation for being pretty rapey... If both of you have problems with sexual drama, then good luck with this season. Apollo is, well, Apollo, so he wants to win Bell to basically add to his prettyboy harem. The next arc revolves around Ishtar, the Babylonian goddess of lust, fertility, beauty, etc, and spends the majority of the time in the red light district of Orario, with topics like prostitution and even implications of human trafficking/enslavement. Danmachi is a seinen with the mask of a shonen. The themes only get heavier as the series goes on, with things like xenophobia and genocide in future arcs.

I also wouldn't call Bell a self-insert protagonist... The whole thing is his story, and he gets a lot of development throughout the course of the series. Admittedly, it was jilted a bit in the first season because of J.C. Staff rushing through 5 volumes, but this whole season is just 2 volumes, so there should be a lot more they can faithfully adapt with his growth. Plus, I've never understood the whole "this story follows one person, it sucks" thing... The story of base Danmachi is literally Bell's growth story. It's basically a fantasy My Hero Academia, where instead of seeing Deku become the greatest superhero, we see Bell become the greatest adventurer hero. The whole purpose of Sword Oratoria was for Omori to be able to expand the world lore of the series without interfering with Bell's story. Danmachi is supposed to revolve around one character, and then the side stories give the world-building that can't be naturally introduced in Bell's story without completely halting the momentum.


My issue isn’t so much sexual drama, as it is that stupid rape face. I swear like every SAO villain has done that shit, and then like I’m sure it was even done by those stupid Highschool DxD villains like the Phoenix guy. It’s that go to, “hey look, here is the petty creep, just so you absolutely know he’s a petty creep, we are going to throw this weird face in there.”

Griffith had no rape face, Griffith just got business done.

Also, MHA follows multiple characters nearly as much as it follows Deku. Deku is important, but not so much so that everyone decides to revolve their lives around him. The only one who bears Deku a grudge is Bakugou because he has this weird inferiority/superiority complex. The only one who is obsessed with Deku is Himiko (was that her name?) because she is a yandere. Everyone else has their own motivations.
JRPGs where you are constantly controlling the main character don’t even focus so much on the main character as much as adventure harems tend to.

38872 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 7/14/19 , edited 7/14/19

jcal94 wrote:

I mean... gods and goddesses from the different pantheons kinda have a reputation for being pretty rapey...


Ain't that the truth. Zeus would be lucky he's immortal, because he'd have a loooooooong prison sentence ahead of him if he actually existed and had to account for all the stuff he did. Might get out by the heat death of the universe.


I also wouldn't call Bell a self-insert protagonist... The whole thing is his story, and he gets a lot of development throughout the course of the series. Admittedly, it was jilted a bit in the first season because of J.C. Staff rushing through 5 volumes, but this whole season is just 2 volumes, so there should be a lot more they can faithfully adapt with his growth. Plus, I've never understood the whole "this story follows one person, it sucks" thing... The story of base Danmachi is literally Bell's growth story. It's basically a fantasy My Hero Academia, where instead of seeing Deku become the greatest superhero, we see Bell become the greatest adventurer hero. The whole purpose of Sword Oratoria was for Omori to be able to expand the world lore of the series without interfering with Bell's story. Danmachi is supposed to revolve around one character, and then the side stories give the world-building that can't be naturally introduced in Bell's story without completely halting the momentum.


Agreed. I think the hallmark of a self-insert character is that they're kept generic and shallow enough for the audience to fill in any personality gaps with their own. The key is to avoid breaking the pleasurable illusion to be enjoyed (having a bevvy of beautiful women surround you, being impossibly powerful and admired by all, whatever fun you're selling) while still actually managing to tell a story. Bell's a little too well-fleshed out to fill that role, and as you say, the plot is less focused on indulging in the harem he's accumulating and doesn't give him too much power too quickly. It's not necessarily clear what the gimmick might be, the fun to be sold.

Still, I suppose it might be argued Bell could be an insert for someone who wants a bit more fairness in their lives, for effort to more appreciably translate into rewards and for social mobility to be greater than it is. A character doesn't technically have to be intended to be a self-insert character or clearly written as one in order to end up that way for a viewer/reader. For example, Nonon Jakuzure's brash confidence and assertiveness are reasons I latched onto her as tightly as I did, because these are qualities I'd like to see more of in myself. She's written to be her own unique character with motivations that are clearly her own, but it's still fun to imagine myself in her role sometimes.
45009 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
33 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 7/14/19 , edited 7/14/19

BlueOni wrote:


jcal94 wrote:

I mean... gods and goddesses from the different pantheons kinda have a reputation for being pretty rapey...


Ain't that the truth. Zeus would be lucky he's immortal, because he'd have a loooooooong prison sentence ahead of him if he actually existed and had to account for all the stuff he did. Might get out by the heat death of the universe.


I also wouldn't call Bell a self-insert protagonist... The whole thing is his story, and he gets a lot of development throughout the course of the series. Admittedly, it was jilted a bit in the first season because of J.C. Staff rushing through 5 volumes, but this whole season is just 2 volumes, so there should be a lot more they can faithfully adapt with his growth. Plus, I've never understood the whole "this story follows one person, it sucks" thing... The story of base Danmachi is literally Bell's growth story. It's basically a fantasy My Hero Academia, where instead of seeing Deku become the greatest superhero, we see Bell become the greatest adventurer hero. The whole purpose of Sword Oratoria was for Omori to be able to expand the world lore of the series without interfering with Bell's story. Danmachi is supposed to revolve around one character, and then the side stories give the world-building that can't be naturally introduced in Bell's story without completely halting the momentum.


Agreed. I think the hallmark of a self-insert character is that they're kept generic and shallow enough for the audience to fill in any personality gaps with their own. The key is to avoid breaking the pleasurable illusion to be enjoyed (having a bevvy of beautiful women surround you, being impossibly powerful and admired by all, whatever fun you're selling) while still actually managing to tell a story. Bell's a little too well-fleshed out to fill that role, and as you say, the plot is less focused on indulging in the harem he's accumulating and doesn't give him too much power too quickly. It's not necessarily clear what the gimmick might be, the fun to be sold.

Still, I suppose it might be argued Bell could be an insert for someone who wants a bit more fairness in their lives, for effort to more appreciably translate into rewards and for social mobility to be greater than it is. A character doesn't technically have to be intended to be a self-insert character or clearly written as one in order to end up that way for a viewer/reader. For example, Nonon Jakuzure's brash confidence and assertiveness are reasons I latched onto her as tightly as I did, because these are qualities I'd like to see more of in myself. She's written to be her own unique character with motivations that are clearly her own, but it's still fun to imagine myself in her role sometimes.


I guess a better way for me to put what I want to say is, there are widely two types of stories in the adventure harem genre.

One is where the main character becomes the center of the universe, and the other is where the main character is one of many players in a game presented by the universe.

I can’t stand the former style of storytelling. It doesn’t have to be good wish fulfillment things exclusively, it can also refer to misfortune. But much like a preteen drama queen, the world has to revolve around the main character. Great things happen to her because she’s destined for them, misfortune befalls her because she’s just too special for the world.

Shows that fall in the latter category would be Rokka no Yuusha, No Game No Life, and many shonen like Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist. In these, the protagonists are constantly tasked to make the world recognize them. Recognition is never handed out, nor is it permanent, they are expected to keep fighting and keep winning, and if they don’t they fade into obscurity because the world has its own agenda and will move along without them. I find so much more immersion in this style, and so much more worth in the glory that is gained. The reason being because the story very clearly portrays that the glory isn’t guaranteed.

In the other style, the glory to me is like video game achievements, there to pat you on the back for succeeding at something you really couldn’t have failed at.
First  Prev  10077  10078  10079  10080  10081  10082  10083  10084  10085  10086  10087  10088  10089  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.