First  Prev  10103  10104  10105  10106  10107  10108  10109  10110  10111  10112  10113  10114  10115  Next  Last

•ᴗ•) ☕ Tourney CHATROOM & Directory ☕ (•ᴗ•

Post Reply
45571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 27 days ago , edited 27 days ago

Insomnist wrote:


xxJing wrote:

Well I watched through Nadia the Secret of Blue Water.

It was alright, but the plot is quite template and it’s not even the best way it’s been done. Like you get basically the same story with Eureka 7 and it’s 1000x better. Nadia the character on the other hand has to be the worst main heroine in this type of story. She especially gets so bad between episodes 26 and 34 that I like to pretend those were a fever dream. Like I honestly stopped being concerned for her well being. Her getting kidnapped or threatened with death meant nothing to me eventually. Like if Jean just decided part way through the story to just give up on her and go home, I would have been completely satisfied with that ending.

I can definitely see how this series spawned Evangelion. I especially think that Asuka was created as a second Nadia, and the masturbation scene and choking scene were put in there for catharsis. Because there were definitely times I wanted to choke Nadia.

According to the rumor mill Anno wasn't given any creative control while directing it and he wasn't thrilled with the situation either. It was cool though to go "Oh damn, this is where a metric shit-ton of Evangelion came from, isn't it."

It sucks that Anno has had so many bad experiences with TV anime though as well, it basically rules out us ever seeing a full series adaptation of Nausicaa since he's the only one Miyazaki has said he'd be fine with directing it.


Apparently he stopped part way and was brought back for the last 5 episodes. Those last 5 episodes of Nadia are the only ones that I thought were genuinely good throughout the series. Like if you just forget everything else about Nadia, she’s actually not bad in those last 5 episodes. It was actually a decent scifi anime at that point. Kind of creepy too.

I will tell you this though, I love Evangelion for its dark parts not for its light parts. Evangelion and especially the end of evangelion are extremely cathartic. Like the build up of being surrounded by mostly shit people and having to risk your life for this planet while you are on the verge of losing your sanity and then just having everyone except you die is like a great allegory for anyone who has worked retail.
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Online
Posted 27 days ago , edited 27 days ago
Random unrelated tangent:

    “In giving our tears to these fictions, we have satisfied all the rights of humanity without having to give anything more of ourselves; whereas unfortunate people in person would require attention from us, relief, consolation, and work, which would involve us in their pains and would require at least the sacrifice of our indolence.”

    [...] As Rousseau also noted, one can never be sure of the purity of one’s desire to empathize: “when the strength of an expansive soul makes me identify myself with my fellow, and I feel that I am, so to speak, in him, it is in order not to suffer that I do not want him to suffer. I am more interested in him for love of myself.”

Jean-Jacques Rousseau out there throwing Olympian thunderbolts through time...


xxJing wrote:

Apparently he stopped part way and was brought back for the last 5 episodes. Those last 5 episodes of Nadia are the only ones that I thought were genuinely good throughout the series. Like if you just forget everything else about Nadia, she’s actually not bad in those last 5 episodes. It was actually a decent scifi anime at that point. Kind of creepy too.

I will tell you this though, I love Evangelion for its dark parts not for its light parts. Evangelion and especially the end of evangelion are extremely cathartic. Like the build up of being surrounded by mostly shit people and having to risk your life for this planet while you are on the verge of losing your sanity and then just having everyone except you die is like a great allegory for anyone who has worked retail.

Yeah the ending was great, I felt that way about the original Gundam as well, the last cour of that show was really good. They're done filling their episode quota and can get down to business. Cool use of Saturn Devouring His Son, too.

The crazy thing about Eva to me is how it's expressing a lot of things Anno went through, and he came out ok, which he then channeled into making Eva, which makes Eva the light at the end of the tunnel that is the Eva narrative.

That's why it's weird to me that people find Eva depressing. It existing proves the ending is a brighter beginning. If Eva was about failure then it wouldn't exist because Anno wouldn't have been able to make it in the first place.

I appreciate the journey Eva takes (if it was all dark all the time, like Texhnolyze for example, I don't think it could have the same impact). But the cathartic parts are my favorite too. Like Shinji and Asuka fighting in the kitchen in EoE.

If I was in any kind of theatre calling and we had to enact a short scene I'd want to reenact that one, and figure it out properly with props lighting and sound effects; the escalation of violence in that scene is so freaking fantastic.
45571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago
Well I beat the old JRPG “Skies of Arcadia” for the first time. It’s not bad, and I’m sure it was great for the time, but I have to say it really hasn’t aged well.

Whether it be gameplay or plot, there are other JRPGs out there that offer what most of Skies of Arcadia does but with much more substance. Trails in the Sky for instance is a game I can’t recommend enough along the same lines of plot... honestly as far as story is concerned it’s probably my #1. It’s got the depth of a friggin novel.
508 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / L.A.
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago

xxJing wrote:

Well I beat the old JRPG “Skies of Arcadia” for the first time. It’s not bad, and I’m sure it was great for the time, but I have to say it really hasn’t aged well.

Whether it be gameplay or plot, there are other JRPGs out there that offer what most of Skies of Arcadia does but with much more substance. Trails in the Sky for instance is a game I can’t recommend enough along the same lines of plot... honestly as far as story is concerned it’s probably my #1. It’s got the depth of a friggin novel.



When I was a teen, my uncle bought me this for the GameCube. I never touched the game for a year because it wasn't a Nintendo title, so I was skeptical.

Decided one day to finally give it a shot and I played that game non-stop and recorded at least 100 hours on it from start to finish. It's an older game that started on the Dreamcast, so of course it wasn't the most detailed of games - but there was so much good packed inside it that I had never experienced in a game before.

I loved the open-world concept and how I could explore the world - maybe not as easy with the old wooden ship, but once ya got the Delphinus, it was a breeze.

The turn-based game play was fun - but the combination of fighting on the ship and versus ships, was pretty cool.

The shipping war before I knew what a shipping war was... Vyse x Fina is the OTP.

It made me a completionist - I went back a few years after first beating it, just to collect all the treasure.

But most of all, I think the best thing about this game was the music. I absolutely loved the music. I spent a ton of time just walking around Ixa' Taka because I loved the music that much.

You mentioning this game just gave me major nostalgia of how fondly I remember those good times.
45571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago

CrashLuv wrote:


xxJing wrote:

Well I beat the old JRPG “Skies of Arcadia” for the first time. It’s not bad, and I’m sure it was great for the time, but I have to say it really hasn’t aged well.

Whether it be gameplay or plot, there are other JRPGs out there that offer what most of Skies of Arcadia does but with much more substance. Trails in the Sky for instance is a game I can’t recommend enough along the same lines of plot... honestly as far as story is concerned it’s probably my #1. It’s got the depth of a friggin novel.



When I was a teen, my uncle bought me this for the GameCube. I never touched the game for a year because it wasn't a Nintendo title, so I was skeptical.

Decided one day to finally give it a shot and I played that game non-stop and recorded at least 100 hours on it from start to finish. It's an older game that started on the Dreamcast, so of course it wasn't the most detailed of games - but there was so much good packed inside it that I had never experienced in a game before.

I loved the open-world concept and how I could explore the world - maybe not as easy with the old wooden ship, but once ya got the Delphinus, it was a breeze.

The turn-based game play was fun - but the combination of fighting on the ship and versus ships, was pretty cool.

The shipping war before I knew what a shipping war was... Vyse x Fina is the OTP.

It made me a completionist - I went back a few years after first beating it, just to collect all the treasure.

But most of all, I think the best thing about this game was the music. I absolutely loved the music. I spent a ton of time just walking around Ixa' Taka because I loved the music that much.

You mentioning this game just gave me major nostalgia of how fondly I remember those good times.


Well as I said it’s not a bad game but I’ve played hundreds of JRPGs and Skies of Arcadia not only has a plot that’s common to JRPGs but also to 80s and 90s anime.

Of the games that have that plot, I’d say that Skies of Arcadia falls into like the 60th percentile as far as quality goes. I haven’t beaten it but Wild Arms 5 for instance is basically the same game.

As far as shipping goes, I much prefer Aika. Fina is too passive for me. Aika really fills out the best friend role well. Most of the time I’m actually against childhood friends because the ‘friend’ part should really be ‘acquaintance’. That is, they kind of hung out when they were young but they don’t really know much about each other, it’s blind infatuation. For instance in Infinite Stratos, I like neither Houki nor Rin. Neither of them really get Ichika nor do they give him a chance, they just want him. Charlotte on the other hands has a good mutual understanding with him and it shows. In this regard, Aika is really Vyse’s friend. They show a lot of mutual understanding throughout the game. To Fina, Vyse is more of a hero.

Some people look for passion in a relationship, I prefer a focus on stability.
508 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
27 / M / L.A.
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago
Yeah, I guess I didn't delve too deep into gaming to really assess the nuances of each title. Basically if it entertained, it was a win in my book. But I believe you. It wasn't in anyway the greatest, but it was fun to pass the time away.

I seem to like characters that grow over time - with Fina, she started out timid, but being around a supportive group helped her grow up and mature into a self-confident person at the end. I mean Aika wasn't bad at all - I mean red-head, a bit of a tsundere (if I recall right?), and bad-ass combat skills were all good qualities, but I don't know. Sometimes they have everything but they just don't have that spark, or moment that makes me believe in the pairing. But that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

Recent example of a game I played was Song of Memories (found it for cheap). Childhood friend was Kanon. Started out fine, but as the stories intersected, I became less sympathetic of her character even at the final ending - I thought she had just become too needy. As with Natsume, her character got better - from being a recluse stalker, to being a pretty dependable, and romantic pick at the end.
45571 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
34 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago

CrashLuv wrote:

Yeah, I guess I didn't delve too deep into gaming to really assess the nuances of each title. Basically if it entertained, it was a win in my book. But I believe you. It wasn't in anyway the greatest, but it was fun to pass the time away.

I seem to like characters that grow over time - with Fina, she started out timid, but being around a supportive group helped her grow up and mature into a self-confident person at the end. I mean Aika wasn't bad at all - I mean red-head, a bit of a tsundere (if I recall right?), and bad-ass combat skills were all good qualities, but I don't know. Sometimes they have everything but they just don't have that spark, or moment that makes me believe in the pairing. But that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

Recent example of a game I played was Song of Memories (found it for cheap). Childhood friend was Kanon. Started out fine, but as the stories intersected, I became less sympathetic of her character even at the final ending - I thought she had just become too needy. As with Natsume, her character got better - from being a recluse stalker, to being a pretty dependable, and romantic pick at the end.


Aika was not actually a tsundere. She was just a typical tomboy friend, which is quite rare outside of hentai honestly. Closest I can think of is maybe Kaoru from Amagami SS. I don’t like Aika’s hair but that’s about the limit of my gripes with her.

The needy childhood friend is usually not a popular choice. I remember in the one from “Ef” caused a shit load of problems, and the one from Shuffle was pretty broken too.

One I really liked and feel sorry for though is Mina from “Boku wa H ga dekinai” Like she was basically the perfect girl for the main character and he chose the one who was probably the worst choice for him. Main character even basically told her “you are completely my type, but it would feel weird because we’ve been friends for so long.”
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Online
Posted 25 days ago , edited 25 days ago
Whenever I decide to spontaneously exercise a bunch, I always forget that muscle soreness is a thing.
70627 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 24 days ago , edited 24 days ago
Kevin Penkin seriously had a children choir sing a track for the Made in Abyss movie and named it "The Rumble of Scientific Triumph." He really used a meme for his OST.
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Online
Posted 24 days ago , edited 24 days ago

PhantomGundam wrote:

"The Rumble of Scientific Triumph."

And before that there's "Dark Reg, Nightmare Fuel" just in case we didn't know what we were in for yet.
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Online
Posted 23 days ago , edited 23 days ago
Lol.



Edit: Also DitF manga is done. Kentaro is free.

70627 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 23 days ago , edited 22 days ago

Insomnist wrote:

Edit: Also DitF manga is done. Kentaro is free.



How is the manga in comparison to the anime? I know the story differs a lot.
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Online
Posted 22 days ago , edited 22 days ago

PhantomGundam wrote:


Insomnist wrote:

Edit: Also DitF manga is done. Kentaro is free.


How is the manga in comparison to the anime? I know the story differs a lot.

81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Online
Posted 19 days ago , edited 19 days ago
Tsugumomo OVA is taking its time, only seeing some small-sized .mp4s almost a week after release.

Wonder if anyone's subbing it.
81320 cr points
Send Message: GB Post
31 / M / USA
Online
Posted 18 days ago , edited 18 days ago
Ngl the ToS EULA for Warcraft 3 Reforged makes me angrier than Blizzard fanboying Winnie the Pooh.

What a doozie.
First  Prev  10103  10104  10105  10106  10107  10108  10109  10110  10111  10112  10113  10114  10115  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.