First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Supreme Court rules banning of offensive names and trademarks unconstitutional
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/22/17

Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Oh right because once again, the name of a fictional game which describes what happens in said fiction is the same as the name of an establishment.


So only names you personally find morally reprehensible count as 'advocating unlawful acts', got it.


Eyyy, putting words in other people's mouths, that's the Boxer I know.

Frankly I was worried earlier when you answered my question with well supported facts but it's good to see I was concerned over nothing.
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/22/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Eyyy, putting words in other people's mouths, that's the Boxer I know.

Frankly I was worried earlier when you answered my question with well supported facts but it's good to see I was concerned over nothing.


That just seems like damage control at this point.
1090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/22/17

Rujikin wrote:

A store name is not inciting violence. It's a label for a store.

I had a drill sergeant that said if we weren't offended by the things bye he said he wasn't doing his job of pulling us kids off our mama's tit; and would say the same applies to anime, especially Showa era authors, were fun because they challenged sensibilities. Ranma would call Akane a flat chested psycho and Akane would call Ranma a cross dressing pervert or tell him to pick a gender. Anyone who's offended by this needs to cease all CO2 production, because their CO2 is tainted.

20788 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
49 / M / Auburn, Washington
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17

Rujikin wrote:

I doubt "hanging niggers muffler shop" will stay in business for long.


If the muffler shop is black-owned and has been so named because "niggers be hangin' around the shop all day," it might do very well indeed.

When I was in South Carolina, there was a group of five black cousins in my neighbourhood who used to sing a kind of Motown barbershop quartet style. They had hung out on the porch practicing together for years, and one local colloquial term for children was "rug monkeys," so naturally they decided to name their group the "Porch Monkeys."

It's not that they didn't know this was a pejorative term. That's exactly why they thought it was funny. Because white people knew full well they couldn't just say "hey, did you see the Porch Monkeys last night?" or "damn, can those Porch Monkeys sing" so they have to be all weird about it. Which is hysterical.

Of course, some people might find that offensive. But fuck those people. Funny is more important than offensive, and sometimes when people don't think it's funny... that's what's funny.

36013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17
^ There you go.


octorockandroll wrote:

Oh right because once again, the name of a fictional game which describes what happens in said fiction is the same as the name of an establishment.

I'm trying hard not to be super mean today despite my recent setbacks.

So let's play a game.

1. Reread your previous posts,

and then?

2. Read this one.

Then? Get this.

3. Try to choose one.

Afterwards?

4. Proceed as normal.
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17
Did the Redskins get to keep their Logo i hope so i liked the logo.
29647 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17

octorockandroll wrote:


Amyas_Leigh wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


I see.

Thank you for actually understanding my question and answering it instead of pretending advocacy of law violation wasn't advocacy of law violation.


You were calling it incitement to violence though. And like he said, its a name not a statement, so I wouldn't call it advocacy of law violation either.


Oh for god's sake names store names are statements.


What the fuck...

No, I think you are getting names mixed up with slogans. If someone names a sandwich shop Plumber's Subs with the slogan "Best subs in town" would you also expect him to plunge your toilet too?

36013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17

MysticGon wrote:

What the fuck...

No, I think you are getting names mixed up with slogans. If someone names a sandwich shop Plumber's Subs with the slogan "Best subs in town" would you also expect him to plunge your toilet too?

"Hello. This is Plumber's Subs. Amy, speaking. How may I help you?"

"Ahem. Yes, I have a really bad leak in my kitchen sink, and I was wondering how much it would cost to get it fixed."

"Umm.. Sir.. We only serve subs here. It's a restaurant. You know, it's just that the NAME is plumber's subs."
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/22/17

MysticGon wrote:

What the fuck...

No, I think you are getting names mixed up with slogans. If someone names a sandwich shop Plumber's Subs with the slogan "Best subs in town" would you also expect him to plunge your toilet too?



In that extremely improbable example I would probably just assume it was a sub shop owned by someone of the Plumber family.

I honestly don't know how that wouldn't be incredibly obvious to you?
21982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17
I want to change my name to cracker
36013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17

redokami wrote:

I want to change my name to cracker

It's not quite the same thing when it is your personal username.
21982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


redokami wrote:

I want to change my name to cracker

It's not quite the same thing when it is your personal username.


I beg to differ
it will remind me everyday of the racist retard I am when people talk to me
24648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
777 / The White House
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/21/17

cdarklock wrote:


Rujikin wrote:

I doubt "hanging niggers muffler shop" will stay in business for long.


If the muffler shop is black-owned and has been so named because "niggers be hangin' around the shop all day," it might do very well indeed.

When I was in South Carolina, there was a group of five black cousins in my neighbourhood who used to sing a kind of Motown barbershop quartet style. They had hung out on the porch practicing together for years, and one local colloquial term for children was "rug monkeys," so naturally they decided to name their group the "Porch Monkeys."

It's not that they didn't know this was a pejorative term. That's exactly why they thought it was funny. Because white people knew full well they couldn't just say "hey, did you see the Porch Monkeys last night?" or "damn, can those Porch Monkeys sing" so they have to be all weird about it. Which is hysterical.

Of course, some people might find that offensive. But fuck those people. Funny is more important than offensive, and sometimes when people don't think it's funny... that's what's funny.



Haha! Someone else actually thought of the hanging part as "hanging out"! I was wondering if anyone else would read it as that.

Those dudes sound like they were a barrel of laughs.


MysticGon wrote:
What the fuck...

No, I think you are getting names mixed up with slogans. If someone names a sandwich shop Plumber's Subs with the slogan "Best subs in town" would you also expect him to plunge your toilet too?



I'd expect the guy to plunge my sub's down into the dark depths.
24648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
777 / The White House
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17

redokami wrote:

I want to change my name to cracker


Change it to: Cracker B Jackin
29647 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 6/20/17 , edited 6/20/17

octorockandroll wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Oh for god's sake names store names are statements.


What the fuck...

No, I think you are getting names mixed up with slogans. If someone names a sandwich shop Plumber's Subs with the slogan "Best subs in town" would you also expect him to plunge your toilet too?



In that extremely improbable example I would probably just assume it was a sub shop owned by someone of the Plumber family.

I honestly don't know how that wouldn't be incredibly obvious to you?


Lol Improbable? There is a place called Firehouse Subs... They won't do a damn thing about your burning house... Like gosh I don't know how totally obvious that is... b-b-b-baka...

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.