First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply italy considers closing ports to migrants
Posted 7/2/17 , edited 7/3/17

TheZaphod wrote:

You will go back to.

If you are lucky it will be on foot.

You saying you wanna shoot them
189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Offline
Posted 7/2/17 , edited 7/3/17

runec wrote:


likenew wrote:
Sure, when Ramadan can be a national celebration of wearing pig skins and drinking beer without the risk of being killed, then we can observe the national day of Ramadan!


Aside from being a weak troll, that doesn't even make sense. Or, well, I suppose it does make sense if you have a critically ignorant view of Islam. But other than that. -.-




Are you sure about that? Think about it from the opposite direction...

How do we "observe" St. Patricks day? Is this a national day of prayer to good ole St. Patrick? NO! The population that "observes" this holiday, observes it by wearing green and drinking green beer until they black out. And you don't even have to have a drop of Irish blood in you. Of which I am half.

Use just a bit of logic now. Ramadan is a period of fasting and prayer that lasts roughly a month. This year it was from May 26 to June 24. To observe this in good ole American tradition, we would have to take something random from that culture. Green for St Patrick's day right? Now why did I say wear pig skins? Because that is something against the culture....very Americanized. Wear pig skins, and then drink beer until you black out for a month. This is how to Americanize Ramadan.

Or do you celebrate St. Patrick's day differently than the rest of America? Until the 1970's, Ireland observed this holiday by keeping pubs closed and not drinking. The exact opposite of us. But because we monetized it to such an extent, they decided to do the same to promote tourism during the holiday, which is currently multi day praise and celebration.

Do point out where my thinking is wrong on this. This isn't a critically ignorant view of Islam on my part. This is a critically ignorant view on your part about the Americanized "observed" holidays that have been integrated from other cultures. If you are saying America, should wholly integrate such a holiday, and observe it as a proper member of Islam, then you are in full agreement that other cultures shouldn't integrate with our own, but in fact it is our duty to integrate our culture into another....which means we will then deny our own culture.



2755 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / TN
Offline
Posted 7/2/17 , edited 7/3/17
First of all, good job Italy. Finally you're showing a spine.

Second of all, for you who say everyone who formed the United States were immigrants to the native american lands, please look into geopolitics. The natives were nowhere close to occupying every inch of the Americas. Even if they had been, we obliterated them and took their lands by right of conquest. If you do not believe in the right of conquest, I suggest you Europeans surrender your sovereignty to Greece, the last remaining remnant of the Roman Empire. Also, how can one be an immigrant to a country one founds? Native tribes were hardly nations, and even if they were, we did not assimilate them or claim to assimilate into them. They still exist as faux-nations within our own country. So no, the original Americans were not immigrants. They were colonists.

Last of all, the refugee crisis is an incredibly complex issue pertaining to ideology, fraud, and overexerted benevolence. Everyone who says that their country is not obligated in any form to help non-citizens is absolutely correct. Those saying it would be moral to help those in genuine desperate need are also correct. Where most of you become ideologues is when you deny the other side's validity and engage in absolutes. Accepting an ocean of degenerate fighting age young men from an area, who's dominant religion promotes morally abhorrent practices like child marriage and religious violence, is a dumb idea. Turning away endangered women and children with verifiable documentation of some form is immoral when a country has the capacity to do otherwise.

tl;dr Just hold your fucking lawmakers to a higher standard and stop oversimplifying things. Advocate for limited and temporary asylum of verifiable woman and child refugees to isolated areas. Allow a limited amount of skilled and documented refugees paths to integration.
runec 
41446 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/2/17 , edited 7/3/17

likenew wrote:
Are you sure about that? Think about it from the opposite direction...


...the opposite direction being what? That it was still parades and what not as far back as the 1930s even in Ireland?



likenew wrote:Or do you celebrate St. Patrick's day differently than the rest of America? Until the 1970's, Ireland observed this holiday by keeping pubs closed and not drinking. The exact opposite of us. But because we monetized it to such an extent, they decided to do the same to promote tourism during the holiday, which is currently multi day praise and celebration.


Ireland had festivities before that. Prohibition for one day wouldn't do much. Especially as Northern Ireland didn't go along with it. It ended in 1961, not the 1970s. But one day isn't going to stop the Irish from drinking. There were still places that had booze on St Patrick's Day and they were popular to say the least.

And to counter your "half-Irish" mention, my dad's family is diehard Irish Roman Catholic and there are few groups more hypocritical when it comes to alcohol than Irish Roman Catholics. >.>



likenew wrote:Do point out where my thinking is wrong on this. This isn't a critically ignorant view of Islam on my part. This is a critically ignorant view on your part about the Americanized "observed" holidays that have been integrated from other cultures. If you are saying America, should wholly integrate such a holiday, and observe it as a proper member of Islam, then you are in full agreement that other cultures shouldn't integrate with our own, but in fact it is our duty to integrate our culture into another....which means we will then deny our own culture.


That's not what I'm saying at all. American hasn't even integrated Hanukkah, nevermind Ramadan. But leaders still go out of their way to acknowledge these things out of respect. Did you forget your original troll included violence? Islam doesn't care if *you* wear pigs and drink beer anymore than the Jews care if you're kosher on Tzom Gedaliah.



21982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 7/2/17 , edited 7/3/17

Kefkapwnsall wrote:

American culture isn't something that can be assimilated otherwise we would be adapting native traditions. We take parts from other countries like Santa


are you saying America has no culture of its own?
10088 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 7/2/17 , edited 7/3/17
Great to hear, more countries should do what Hungary did, come on Italy, you can do it!
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

redokami wrote:


Kefkapwnsall wrote:

American culture isn't something that can be assimilated otherwise we would be adapting native traditions. We take parts from other countries like Santa


are you saying America has no culture of its own?


No original culture we imported our base from the UK as we outright rejected native influences
21982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

Kefkapwnsall wrote:


redokami wrote:


Kefkapwnsall wrote:

American culture isn't something that can be assimilated otherwise we would be adapting native traditions. We take parts from other countries like Santa


are you saying America has no culture of its own?


No original culture we imported our base from the UK as we outright rejected native influences


Overtimewe have developed a culture of our own
runec 
41446 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17

Kefkapwnsall wrote:
No original culture we imported our base from the UK as we outright rejected native influences


America has its own culture. Yes, it got elements from initial immigrants and the whole "melting pot" thing but it clearly developed its own culture over time.

6638 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/3/17
sort of hard to rap my head around how someone who claims to be a strong supporter of LGBT seems to be also a strong supporter of a religion/culture where LGBT is considered a serious offense where ether imprisonment or death is the sentence. and doesn't think that may cause issues if let a lot of people from those cultures in especially when their is quite a bit showing that their are multiple problems happening because of all them coming in large amounts in a sort time.
21982 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 9/26/17 , edited 9/27/17

dragonlord1234 wrote:

sort of hard to rap my head around how someone who claims to be a strong supporter of LGBT seems to be also a strong supporter of a religion/culture where LGBT is considered a serious offense where ether imprisonment or death is the sentence. and doesn't think that may cause issues if let a lot of people from those cultures in especially when their is quite a bit showing that their are multiple problems happening because of all them coming in large amounts in a sort time.


somehow this thread is up top on the tab thingies in IE for me, so its how I get to this site



but yea, its insane
its like saying I support the wall that keeps titans from eating us


but #equalityfortitans
#itsnotmurderifyoueatit
28261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 9/26/17 , edited 9/27/17
Force them back to wherever they came from and make them fight for their home. Don't drag the rest of us down with you.
55391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 9/27/17 , edited 9/27/17
I wonder how Marcus Octavius would solve this problem! :p Yes, Yes Marcus Octavius from Highlander.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.