First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Miss Gendering and Deadnaming.
77844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 9/28/17
There has been a lot of talk in Canadian circles about a law to include gender expression and gender identity as facets of a person you can't use for discrimination. They join sex, sexual orientation, race, creed and a few other protected traits.

Some are trying to conflate this into an attack on free speach. Saying you could now be sent to jail for misgendering someone. This is untrue. It DOES mean you can't refuse to hire someone because you don't like 'trannys'. but there is no crime for what you say.

here's a little more on the subject:
http://sds.utoronto.ca/blog/bill-c-16-no-its-not-about-criminalizing-pronoun-misuse/

I personally don't get it. What's so hard about calling people what they want to be called? Isn't that just common courtesy?
271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Ypsilanti, Michigan
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/14/17
I think it comes down to fear of what it might bring. If this law is abused to trample people's rights of freedom of speech, then it's very much understood why it's seeing backlash.

It doesn't look like that's what it is intended for, though.
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 10/8/17
Anyone who thinks not being allowed to discriminately harm the livelihoods of people who are different than you is an attack on free speech can fuck right off. It's pretty sad that some group needs so much of a fight for equal rights every decade or so. You'd have thought we would all have learned our lessons after women were made equal.

Also, pre emptive counterpoint to what I know bigoted idiots are gonna say

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150107082133.htm
77844 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / F / Toronto
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 10/6/17

octorockandroll wrote:

Anyone who thinks not being allowed to discriminately harm the livelihoods of people who are different than you is an attack on free speech can fuck right off. It's pretty sad that some group needs so much of a fight for equal rights every decade or so. You'd have thought we would all have learned our lessons after women were made equal.

Also, pre emptive counterpoint to what I know bigoted idiots are gonna say

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150107082133.htm


Interesting Article. Thanks for the support.


24148 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
The White House
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 10/18/17
I identify as a king and my preferred pronoun is "Your Highness". As a king I need extensive lands and a vast wealth to be able to feel "normal".



Also why would you want to hire the mentally ill? You have to constantly worry about being harassed or sued for micro aggressions or saying the wrong word. Just imagine if anorexics had special rights so they could sue anyone that calls them skinny while they self identify as fat.
35958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 9/30/17
As per usual, the reason behind the dissent flew past this one.


octorockandroll wrote:

Anyone who thinks not being allowed to discriminately harm the livelihoods of people who are different than you is an attack on free speech can fuck right off.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/18/de-blasio-fine-businesses-wrong-gender-pronouns/
32136 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 10/18/17

Rujikin wrote:

I identify as a king and my preferred pronoun is "Your Highness". As a king I need extensive lands and a vast wealth to be able to feel "normal".



Also why would you want to hire the mentally ill? You have to constantly worry about being harassed or sued for micro aggressions or saying the wrong word. Just imagine if anorexics had special rights so they could sue anyone that calls them skinny while they self identify as fat.


refusing to hire someone who is mentally ill because they are mentally ill is usually in most circumstances against the law.

Atleast in most sane countries.
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 9/30/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

As per usual, the reason behind the dissent flew past this one.


octorockandroll wrote:

Anyone who thinks not being allowed to discriminately harm the livelihoods of people who are different than you is an attack on free speech can fuck right off.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/18/de-blasio-fine-businesses-wrong-gender-pronouns/


An incident unrelated to the bill in question that didn't even happen in the same country.

Something definitely flew past someone alright.

35958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 10/6/17

octorockandroll wrote:

An incident unrelated to the bill in question that didn't even happen in the same country.

Something definitely flew past someone alright.




XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

As per usual, the reason behind the dissent flew past this one.

1165 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Lights & Sounds
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 10/18/17
So if I want to be a known as a toaster then I can be a toaster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM-HJT8_esM

Lets just go ahead and called everyone Number 1 because god forbid someone gets offended.
Ugh the Remilia's of the world.
qwueri 
25348 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / TN
Online
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 10/18/17
Why does the 'I identify as an attack helicopter' retort feel distinctly like the 'legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their furniture and pets' argument?
10046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Enemy Territory
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 10/18/17

qwueri wrote:

Why does the 'I identify as an attack helicopter' retort feel distinctly like the 'legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their furniture and pets' argument?


Probably because it has the same basis in reality: none.
35958 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 7/13/17

qwueri wrote:

Why does the 'I identify as an attack helicopter' retort feel distinctly like the 'legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their furniture and pets' argument?

It doesn't. It just presents the reality of the situation in an extreme manner, albeit typically sarcastically so.

Advocating that legalizing gay marriage would lead to bestiality is an example of the fallacious slippery slope argument.
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 9/30/17

papagolfwhiskey wrote:
I personally don't get it. What's so hard about calling people what they want to be called? Isn't that just common courtesy?


People don't like being forced to do things they don't want to.
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 7/3/17 , edited 9/28/17

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


qwueri wrote:

Why does the 'I identify as an attack helicopter' retort feel distinctly like the 'legalizing gay marriage will lead to people marrying their furniture and pets' argument?

It doesn't. It just presents the reality of the situation in an extreme manner, albeit typically sarcastically so.

Advocating that legalizing gay marriage would lead to bestiality is an example of the fallacious slippery slope argument.


An abstract and ubquantifiable concept is equatable to a vehicle and an argument that people identifying as people will lead to people identifying as said vehicles is not a slipepry slope argument? I'd point out that that's a pretty peculiar definition of "reality" you're running with but that would imply i didn't already know that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.