First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last

Baltimore Police Accidentally Film Themselves Planting Evidence

84976 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M
Online
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/21/17
Its possible they searched the place and found the drugs in the can, but the cam wasn't on, so the put the drugs back in the can and restaged the scene for the camera. Still would be the wrong thing to do, but it is a possible scenario.
2051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Valhalla
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/21/17

arnold5000 wrote:

And this is why people hate the police!


Pretty much.
2051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Valhalla
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/21/17
Fucking idiots.

mxdan 
12384 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / A Husk.
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/21/17

ishe5555 wrote:

Its possible they searched the place and found the drugs in the can, but the cam wasn't on, so the put the drugs back in the can and restaged the scene for the camera. Still would be the wrong thing to do, but it is a possible scenario.


It's probably even likely that's what happened but scripting a camera to fake their purpose should be a criminal offense. They should be meant for oversight not for politics.
22734 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/20/17 , edited 7/21/17
The town I grew up in we had a cop that would do that . If he didn't like you , watch out ! He got one guy put in prison on false drug possession charge by planting drugs in his car . I would always lock my vehicle when I went anywhere in town and was not by my vehicle . He would also sexually harass underage girls , especially in front of their boyfriends . They would never do anything to him despite all the complaints against him . I got out of there after I graduated high school ....
10452 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/22/17 , edited 7/22/17

ishe5555 wrote:

Its possible they searched the place and found the drugs in the can, but the cam wasn't on, so the put the drugs back in the can and restaged the scene for the camera. Still would be the wrong thing to do, but it is a possible scenario.


This is possible, but it requires the question to be asked "Why were you searching without your camera on?". Training to embed procedure to turn camera on in active situations would probably help. All done in-house, no external training suppliers looking to get their snouts in the trough this time.

The only downside I could see is the public being filmed when they're just near a cop, which is a legitimate fear given the direction most Western governments seem to be heading. But if you fix the data collection fetish issue in the political and intelligence community (examination of the actual use of bulk data collection for example. Other solutions are available), then it's win-win. Corruption gets outed, false claims get burned down. Everything improves.
5881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / O / Korriban
Offline
Posted 7/22/17 , edited 7/22/17

MysticGon wrote:

Body cameras need to be on at all times. Turning them off should be a felony. The film should be encrypted so it can't be tampered with. Few spoiled it for the rest but they can no longer be trusted. It's as simple as that


The issue with this is that the body cams the police use require paperwork and such, and lots of sorting/saving/etc. with the files. Keeping them on at all times would be a nightmare...


That is bad, of course, and the officer(s) in question should be punished, but that does not reflect on the entirety of law enforcement. People saying they hate the cops for this reason, there are just as many, if not more, good cops out there. We hear about this, though, because it's breaking the law. We do not hear about every time a policeman gets shot during a traffic stop, or volunteers at charity events, or comes into a class to teach about the dangers of drugs/crimes/etc.
2448 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / The Mormon land t...
Offline
Posted 7/22/17 , edited 7/22/17
Well, that police officer/they are fired, hopefully. Video was too laggy so I couldn't exactly tell who was at fault.
400 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Quebec, Canada
Offline
Posted 7/22/17 , edited 7/22/17
Well your not giving the hole story. The officer claims that he was re-enacting the scene because he hadn't turned the body cam on.
29753 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 7/22/17 , edited 7/22/17

Lord_Jordan wrote:


MysticGon wrote:

Body cameras need to be on at all times. Turning them off should be a felony. The film should be encrypted so it can't be tampered with. Few spoiled it for the rest but they can no longer be trusted. It's as simple as that


The issue with this is that the body cams the police use require paperwork and such, and lots of sorting/saving/etc. with the files. Keeping them on at all times would be a nightmare...


That is bad, of course, and the officer(s) in question should be punished, but that does not reflect on the entirety of law enforcement. People saying they hate the cops for this reason, there are just as many, if not more, good cops out there. We hear about this, though, because it's breaking the law. We do not hear about every time a policeman gets shot during a traffic stop, or volunteers at charity events, or comes into a class to teach about the dangers of drugs/crimes/etc.


What's a few more hours of paper work if it means avoiding the cover up of a crime, thus making it harder to commit one.

You might be right, there are probably more good cops than there are bad ones, in a the way there are more black bears happy with just eating berries and local wildlife. No one reports on their normal behavior because that is what is expected of them. Then you have the bear that decides to make the leap and fill it's stomach with a human. Matter of fact that happened back to back in Alaska a month ago. 16yo boy, 27yo woman. That's what makes the news.

The boss doesn't want to hear about every time a worker does their job. They only care when the workers are not there or when they do something wrong. You don't get a cookie for doing what you signed up for, but too many times cops get one for shooting a person dead, in the form of paid leave.

It's a betrayal of justice and incentivizes carelessness or downright wickedness and the lack of accountability and transparency when it comes to officer involved killings (with that "muh camera was off har har!" excuse used FAR too often) just pours kerosene over what is already a raging fire.
342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 7/24/17 , edited 7/24/17
Catastrophic stupidity is only slightly less reprehensible than outright malicious fabrication of evidence.
runec 
42300 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 7/24/17 , edited 7/24/17

TheGamingGeneral wrote:
Well your not giving the hole story. The officer claims that he was re-enacting the scene because he hadn't turned the body cam on.


That's actually even more idiotic.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.