First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Burger flippin' robot on the job in Cali
33550 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
At least one burger flippin' robot is on the job in Cali
https://www.engadget.com/2017/03/08/burger-flipping-robot-flippy/

Unlike the earlier Carl's Jr. story, this one isn't just an idea, it's an actual implementation



Burgerbot in action, from the manufacturer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smmLfwU5W-4


BONUS: Pizza makin' bot in Cali (what's with Cali and fast food bots?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6U0NdwsCWs
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
Awesome

Robot burgers, as a Californian I approve
17581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Verginia
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
Well this was predictable. As soon as uneducated unskilled workers started demanding $ 15/hr a machine was going to be cheaper. They already are replacing the cashiers in fast food joints with a koisk and anyone who has worked in fast food knows cashiers get paid more to start than the prep workers but yeah, keep activasting yourselves out of a job.f*luck it go for $20 an hour and let's see how many jobs are cheaper to automate or off shore.

These are starter jobs not carriers. You know you take them to learn how to not be entitled. This is how you learn that you don't know everything and maybe learn to eat crow at work so you can eat food at home.
330 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Online
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17

bernardwheelerjr wrote:

Well this was predictable. As soon as uneducated unskilled workers started demanding $ 15/hr a machine was going to be cheaper. They already are replacing the cashiers in fast food joints with a koisk and anyone who has worked in fast food knows cashiers get paid more to start than the prep workers but yeah, keep activasting yourselves out of a job.f*luck it go for $20 an hour and let's see how many jobs are cheaper to automate or off shore.

These are starter jobs not carriers. You know you take them to learn how to not be entitled. This is how you learn that you don't know everything and maybe learn to eat crow at work so you can eat food at home.


Automation is inevitable as long as machines continue to become cheaper than humans. Demanding a livable wage is fairly irrelevant in the equation. Some upfront cost and pennies of electricity and occasional repairs, versus a person. Even if we went back to honest to goodness slavery, the machine would still eventually be cheaper since you don't have to feed it at least every few days.
967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
It's short sighted to only think that robots will only take the low paying job positions. In the far future it's very possible for the higher paying jobs being taken over by robots once the technology is perfected,and cheaper than it's now.
1792 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Spokane, Washingt...
Offline
Posted 8/13/17 , edited 8/14/17
Can we have our kiosk come in a cute maid outfit? What about our burger flipper bot in a tux? If people want to keep their jobs and not be replaced by robots, you probably will have to sell your sense of shame and humility too, because your only advantage over robots is a sense of attractiveness and personality.

Robots may be cheaper, but they are also a lot more boring. They don't do silly chit chat about upcoming solar eclipses or anything interesting.
28455 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Prison
Online
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17
Technology is in a never ending march of progress, and jumps between significant advances have shortened, and will continue to. Demanding a higher or lower minimum wage would only offset it by years at most. Machines are not only getting more advance, but they are becoming cheaper. If one has to do a battle of wage versus costs against machines, it would not last very long at all, where someone would have to be essentially slaves working for pennies to do a far less efficient job than machines just years from now, most likely.

It is largely irrelevant on the big time scale. Blaming demands of higher wages as the sole reason is to be technologically ignorant, since it would have happened sooner or later, especially since I do not believe such a law is even implemented. The belief that it would stop here is an unsubstantiated one as well, but possible it would stop at some fields.

15821 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / El Mirage, AZ
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17
Love the first comment on youtube. That person does know that jobs they deem to be only for teenagers can only operate between the hours of 3pm to 9 pm during the school year except for weekends and holidays.
2099 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / US
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17

nanikore2 wrote:


BONUS: Pizza makin' bot in Cali (what's with Cali and fast food bots?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6U0NdwsCWs



Cali is a Tech mecha, so stuff like this popping up there first is understanble
Also, since cost of living is higher, making this stuff is relatively cheaper ($15/hr arguments and such, keep reading), pushing it to pop up earlier



Rao_Prime wrote:


bernardwheelerjr wrote:

Well this was predictable. As soon as uneducated unskilled workers started demanding $ 15/hr a machine was going to be cheaper. They already are replacing the cashiers in fast food joints with a koisk and anyone who has worked in fast food knows cashiers get paid more to start than the prep workers but yeah, keep activasting yourselves out of a job.f*luck it go for $20 an hour and let's see how many jobs are cheaper to automate or off shore.

These are starter jobs not carriers. You know you take them to learn how to not be entitled. This is how you learn that you don't know everything and maybe learn to eat crow at work so you can eat food at home.


Automation is inevitable as long as machines continue to become cheaper than humans. Demanding a livable wage is fairly irrelevant in the equation. Some upfront cost and pennies of electricity and occasional repairs, versus a person. Even if we went back to honest to goodness slavery, the machine would still eventually be cheaper since you don't have to feed it at least every few days.



^This
It's not a question of if, only when
And if when it happens we are prepared for it
As a society, I deem we are woefully unprepared for a society were a good chunk of the population literally does not need to work


danagram wrote:

It's short sighted to only think that robots will only take the low paying job positions. In the far future it's very possible for the higher paying jobs being taken over by robots once the technology is perfected,and cheaper than it's now.



True, but define short sighted?
More complex jobs may be 50 years down the road
That's generally not short-sighted

The biggest jump is going to be making engineer robots, that is a robot that can design robots to do other jobs. Then things will really get interesting.
runec 
41988 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17

bernardwheelerjr wrote:
Well this was predictable. As soon as uneducated unskilled workers started demanding $ 15/hr a machine was going to be cheaper. They already are replacing the cashiers in fast food joints with a koisk and anyone who has worked in fast food knows cashiers get paid more to start than the prep workers but yeah, keep activasting yourselves out of a job.f*luck it go for $20 an hour and let's see how many jobs are cheaper to automate or off shore.

These are starter jobs not carriers. You know you take them to learn how to not be entitled. This is how you learn that you don't know everything and maybe learn to eat crow at work so you can eat food at home.


This has nothing to do with minimum wage. Let alone a minimum wage that hasn't kept up with inflation or the cost of living since 1968. -.-

I doubt Flippy here is cost effective ( note that the company won't reveal how much it costs ) as of yet. It's also an overly complex method of automating this particular task and still can't even put cheese on a burger. It's not really doing anything a simple conveyor oven / broiler couldn't do faster and more effectively.

It seems more in the territory of novelty/proof of concept than legitimate contender to replace restaurant staff as it stands. The tech will need a while to mature and there will need to be enough demand and manufacturing base to bring the cost of it down.

25238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / In
Online
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17
Humms 
14305 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17
Wow, the innovation is breathtaking.

This is like fucking beautiful. All my life I wanted to see a robot flipping burgers. Thank Christ someone got a team of people ( who were paid to design this And implement it)

Just a big thank you for making the world that much better. Serving unhealthy greasy fucking burgers to people.

Job well done lads
16615 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / AH / Helipad
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17
967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17

zero356 wrote:



True, but define short sighted?
More complex jobs may be 50 years down the road
That's generally not short-sighted

The biggest jump is going to be making engineer robots, that is a robot that can design robots to do other jobs. Then things will really get interesting.


I probably should have used a better word than short sighted,and quoted bernardwheelerjr's own post. To me his post sounded like a old fart taking a shot at the " entitled generation" without considering the possibility that later on robots will be capable of taking jobs from anyone regardless of position.

1662 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Canada, Toronto
Offline
Posted 8/14/17 , edited 8/14/17
Robot talking over unskilled jobs? I thought that the foreign workers, who accpet low-paid and harsh working condition, are talking the jobs? Are the business managers in US attempting to hire robot just because the populists had forcebly exile many immgrants? Human workers do have an advantage over machine by superior elasticity, or the ability to respond to new demand and supply. However, elasticity provide long-term advantage and managers prefer short-tern advantage.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.