First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply A Conservative's Criticism of the President
38453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/16/17 , edited 8/17/17
Hey, take it or leave it. My suggestion is what it is.
17041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/16/17 , edited 8/17/17

MysticGon wrote:


gornotck wrote:

I do enjoy how these things basically break down into "if he wants to succeed he needs to kowtow and toe the Left's line."


Do you think things are okay as they are? If you do that's not a problem. I certainly wouldn't want him to become a pro-abortion, amnesty, socialist just to win reelection. But I think things can be better.


Could things be going better? Sure. Everyone could, as they say, SITFU and do their jobs.
Sure Trump could executive order things into existence, but then people would sue over each one and as much as possible prevent their action, as has already occured.
He could be less vociferous, but why? No matter what he says, it will be twisted and misrepresented. Why wouldn't he defend himself there? I am not particularly bothered by what he says, anyway. Words are not actions. Even if he did go quiet, it would become some sort of sinister conspiracy. As to Obama being on message, recall that people frequently noticed he could not talk without a teleprompter with the script.
Trump can do no right that people could hear about, with the way things are. That is just how things go sometimes.
So, no. While things could be better, it is hard to see how they could be better right now when it is other people who are practicing their religiois politics on the left, right, and center.

As to Unversal Healthcare, how much good do you think it would do to support a system that loudly and in public killed a baby? That sort of thing tends to wring hands.
29478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/16/17 , edited 8/17/17

gornotck wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


gornotck wrote:

I do enjoy how these things basically break down into "if he wants to succeed he needs to kowtow and toe the Left's line."


Do you think things are okay as they are? If you do that's not a problem. I certainly wouldn't want him to become a pro-abortion, amnesty, socialist just to win reelection. But I think things can be better.


Could things be going better? Sure. Everyone could, as they say, SITFU and do their jobs.
Sure Trump could executive order things into existence, but then people would sue over each one and as much as possible prevent their action, as has already occured.
He could be less vociferous, but why? No matter what he says, it will be twisted and misrepresented. Why wouldn't he defend himself there? I am not particularly bothered by what he says, anyway. Words are not actions. Even if he did go quiet, it would become some sort of sinister conspiracy. As to Obama being on message, recall that people frequently noticed he could not talk without a teleprompter with the script.
Trump can do no right that people could hear about, with the way things are. That is just how things go sometimes.
So, no. While things could be better, it is hard to see how they could be better right now when it is other people who are practicing their religiois politics on the left, right, and center.

As to Unversal Healthcare, how much good do you think it would do to support a system that loudly and in public killed a baby? That sort of thing tends to wring hands.


That's a good point. Part of Trump's appeal is because he is the way he is. No arguments there. So for you it's "steady as she goes". Personally I think he'd be at the mercy of all that hate him, RINOs included, if his agenda slows down or stops.
Posted 8/16/17 , edited 8/17/17
I agree that there's no point in talking to a megalomaniacal narcissist like Trump regarding welfare, foreign policy, or anything at all for that matter.
17041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/16/17 , edited 8/17/17

MysticGon wrote:

That's a good point. Part of Trump's appeal is because he is the way he is. No arguments there. So for you it's "steady as she goes". Personally I think he'd be at the mercy of all that hate him, RINOs included, if his agenda slows down or stops.


As was said during the election, there are no brakes on this train.
29478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/16/17 , edited 8/17/17

gornotck wrote:


MysticGon wrote:

That's a good point. Part of Trump's appeal is because he is the way he is. No arguments there. So for you it's "steady as she goes". Personally I think he'd be at the mercy of all that hate him, RINOs included, if his agenda slows down or stops.


As was said during the election, there are no brakes on this train.


Can't knock the optimism.

As for the healthcare. I think the U.S. has a stronger moral compass than the U.K., enough to let the parents decide when they should pull the plug on their unresponsive child.
941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17

gornotck wrote:


MysticGon wrote:


gornotck wrote:

I do enjoy how these things basically break down into "if he wants to succeed he needs to kowtow and toe the Left's line."


Do you think things are okay as they are? If you do that's not a problem. I certainly wouldn't want him to become a pro-abortion, amnesty, socialist just to win reelection. But I think things can be better.




As to Unversal Healthcare, how much good do you think it would do to support a system that loudly and in public killed a baby? That sort of thing tends to wring hands.


Our current healthcare system is just as evil if you take a real close look at it. For starters judges in the US do have the authority to take someone off life support if they deem it in the best interest. Insurance companies can stop coverage whenever they feel like it's not worth covering the person anymore,or when the bills stop being payed on time . Even if you do fund your own treatment, it will run out fast unless you're super wealthy. The 1.7 million that they raised for Charlie sounds like a lot,but without insurance it will be gone in a blink of a eye within months . This is accounting that some of the money is being used for the trip over here.

Another thing to consider is if our current health system is better than universal healthcare, why the hell are we trying to repeal,and replace it now with Republicans in control ?

17041 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17

danagram wrote:

Our current healthcare system is just as evil if you take a real close look at it. For starters judges in the US do have the authority to take someone off life support if they deem it in the best interest. Insurance companies can stop coverage whenever they feel like it's not worth covering the person anymore,or when the bills stop being payed on time . Even if you do fund your own treatment, it will run out fast unless you're super wealthy. The 1.7 million that they raised for Charlie sounds like a lot,but without insurance it will be gone in a blink of a eye within months . This is accounting that some of the money is being used for the trip over here.

Another thing to consider is if our current health system is better than universal healthcare, why the hell are we trying to repeal,and replace it now with Republicans in control ?



The Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, caused insurance rates to spike while not addressing any aspect of the actual problems related to the healthcare industry. Republicans have been saying they will repeal it since it launched, but only managed to do so when Obama could just veto it. Now that they are in control, they have lost the will.

So it is a failed law that actively harms everyone who is subject to it, but since people cling to entitlements like a drowning person, politicians think they won't get reelected if they actually repeal it.
runec 
41408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17

MysticGon wrote:
You're right, he should just resign. What's the point. Satisfied?

Well what would you say if you had his ear, I wonder.


Yes, he should resign. He won't, because he's an emotionally stunted narcissist with the temperament of a toddler, but he should.

87194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17

Shipwright wrote:
As long as he gets semi-logical shit done, I don't really care how much salt he farms at CNN or on Twitter. I do hope that he gets his staff under control though.

More like if his staff can get him under control; I heard Kelly was looking pretty upset at a recent (disastrous) impromptu press conference. No, he shouldn't resign: he should listen to the excellent people surrounding him and stop responding to - and picking fights with - a very hostile press "off the cuff".
runec 
41408 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17

dougeprofile wrote:
More like if his staff can get him under control; I heard Flynn was looking pretty upset at a recent (disastrous) impromptu press conference. No, he shouldn't resign: he should listen to the excellent people surrounding him and stop responding to - and picking fights with - a very hostile press "off the cuff".


Yes, he should resign. Because its been 208 days and he still hasn't figured any of this out.

Its not just that he doesn't listen, he actively retaliates when anyone tries to get him to do something then goes off the rails.

As for pissed, you should have seen Kelly's face during that press conference. >.>




941 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / F
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17

gornotck wrote:


danagram wrote:

Our current healthcare system is just as evil if you take a real close look at it. For starters judges in the US do have the authority to take someone off life support if they deem it in the best interest. Insurance companies can stop coverage whenever they feel like it's not worth covering the person anymore,or when the bills stop being payed on time . Even if you do fund your own treatment, it will run out fast unless you're super wealthy. The 1.7 million that they raised for Charlie sounds like a lot,but without insurance it will be gone in a blink of a eye within months . This is accounting that some of the money is being used for the trip over here.

Another thing to consider is if our current health system is better than universal healthcare, why the hell are we trying to repeal,and replace it now with Republicans in control ?



The Affordable Care Act, better known as Obamacare, caused insurance rates to spike while not addressing any aspect of the actual problems related to the healthcare industry. Republicans have been saying they will repeal it since it launched, but only managed to do so when Obama could just veto it. Now that they are in control, they have lost the will.

So it is a failed law that actively harms everyone who is subject to it, but since people cling to entitlements like a drowning person, politicians think they won't get reelected if they actually repeal it.


Your very statement right there is why people may go for single payer even with a case of Charlie Gard . Simply put the people want a better healthcare system than the one we have now,and that is the only one being suggested at the moment. Before anyone argues " free market", we had that healthcare system before ACA,and it wasn't that great for many out there.

87194 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
45 / M / WA
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17

runec wrote:
Yes, he should resign. Because its been 208 days and he still hasn't figured any of this out.

Its not just that he doesn't listen, he actively retaliates when anyone tries to get him to do something then goes off the rails.

As for pissed, you should have seen Kelly's face during that press conference. >.>

You mean you want him to resign ...the media and the left desperately are drooling at the mouth for him to resign - but that isn't and shouldn't happen. The media also behaved shamefully and disgracefully ...and Trump foolishly went beyond his prepared statement. I still have some hope Trump will stop giving you people's what you want.
29478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17

dougeprofile wrote:


runec wrote:
Yes, he should resign. Because its been 208 days and he still hasn't figured any of this out.

Its not just that he doesn't listen, he actively retaliates when anyone tries to get him to do something then goes off the rails.

As for pissed, you should have seen Kelly's face during that press conference. >.>

You mean you want him to resign ...the media and the left desperately are drooling at the mouth for him to resign - but that isn't and shouldn't happen. The media also behaved shamefully and disgracefully ...and Trump foolishly went beyond his prepared statement. I still have some hope Trump will stop giving you people's what you want.


Pretty much. Half the country is okay so far. The tougher talk with adversaries, the withdrawal from TPP/Paris, Mexico City and buckling down on imbalanced trade. Of course best of all the Supreme Court which become evident this Fall. But the fighting distracts and slows him down.
1544 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17
For once, I actually agree with Runec. I have a couple of concurring points, though.


MysticGon wrote:1. They didn't like you then, don't expect them to like you now. One thing Trump loves to do is point out he isn't getting a fair shake from the media. When you look at the giant list of Clinton endorsements it shouldn't come as a surprise.


One of my biggest beefs with President Trump is that he has the thinnest skin I've ever seen. He reacts to everything. He makes mountains out of molehills.


:
7. If Congress doesn't want to play ball, do it yourself and let the courts figure it out. It's slow, dictatorial and has the potential to backfire but it'll show he is serious about completing the agenda the country sent him to Washington to carry out.


No. Just no. That absolutely defeats the point of a republic. Some conservatives thought President Obama overstepped his authority with certain executive actions, and I'm inclined to agree. But what you're saying is at least as bad. The President should not abuse his ability to skirt Congress; It would be no better than a dictatorship.

As for what I would say to President Trump (Ahem... assuming I had his ear, of course), I would tell him to shut the hell up and get his ass off Twitter. Stop listening to Meryl Streep. He is literally being trolled by celebrities and the media, because he's just that easy to piss off. Also, stop making unsubstantiated claims about everyone persecuting you, Mr. Trump. Put up or shut up, as they say. Stop talking about 'fake news,' just because you don't like reporters. You don't even know what the term means.

Lastly, this bit about "repeal and replace the ACA" is pretty meaningless for myself and a lot of other conservatives. It is the premise that we disagree with. The government shouldn't be an insurance provider (or a lot of other things, for that matter). So I'm honestly not too worried about that. For that matter, I don't really care about The Wall®. But hey, if they think they can come up with something better, go for it, I guess. Just don't talk about it forever without doing anything.
336 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / A hookah bar
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17
The super fun part of all this nonsense, for me as a conservative at least, Is that the press conference on Charlottesville needed to have one thing happen: Denounce the support of the Alt-Right.. That's it.

That didn't happen.

Yes you can thank Antifa or whatever groups that came in and incited the first bit of violence as far as what's been covered by the media on both sides, which is a huge joke as far as the facts are concerned, but the main fact is that the ideology of the Alt-Right is disgusting.

The marchers at least, not the randos that just post memes. Are they assholes? Absolutely. But they may have just been caught up in this sick fad. Conjecture, obviously.

Trump screwed up royally by not denouncing and condemning the support of the Alt-Right. The white supremacy address only covers the supremacists we know that are evil and obviously have something to do with this group, but name-dropping them wasn't enough. Alt-right support is what he should have denounced.

Both sides of this skirmish are to blame: one for using violence against a peaceful and law-abiding march, albeit evil and scummy in nature,, and those who marched for an evil ideology.The second it became violent is when it should have been shut down.
Humms 
14021 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 8/17/17 , edited 8/17/17
He's good with money. That's all the world wants.

And they want a bully, because that's all the world wants.

You'd be surprised when he wins again, but I wouldn't. Fuck you merica

China's waiting for Trump to move first I'm not stupid
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.