First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply Not using right trans pronoun in Calif could put people in jail (LGBT Long-Term Care Resident Bill of R
33524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/23/17
Why isn't any of the usual news outlets reporting this?

http://www.californiafamily.org/2017/ca-bill-to-make-criminals-out-of-those-refusing-to-use-transgender-pronouns/

After a similar law passed in Canada, California gummit decided to do something similar. It's introducing a bill that could put long term care workers in jail FOR UP TO A YEAR for refusing to use transgender pronouns.

This is utter nonsense.

The following is from an authoritative site that I've searched up on transgender pronouns:

https://uwm.edu/lgbtrc/support/gender-pronouns/


What are some commonly used pronouns?
She/her/hers and he/him/his are a few commonly used pronouns. Some people call these “female/feminine” and “male/masculine” pronouns, but many avoid these labels because not everyone who uses he feels like a “male” or “masculine.”

There are also lots of gender-neutral pronouns in use. Here are a few you might hear:

They/them/theirs (Shea ate their food because they were hungry.) This is a pretty common gender-neutral pronoun and it can be used in the singular. In fact, “they” was voted as the Word of the Year in 2015.

Ze/hir/hir (Tyler ate hir food because ze was hungry.) Ze is pronounced like “zee” can also be spelled zie or xe, and replaces she/he/they. Hir is pronounced like “here” and replaces her/hers/him/his/they/theirs.

Just my name please! (Ash ate Ash’s food because Ash was hungry) Some people prefer not to use pronouns at all, using their name as a pronoun instead.

Never refer to a person as “it” or “he-she”. These are offensive slurs used against trans and gender non-conforming individuals.


Let's say that some worker in a LTC facility thinks a sentence such as "Tyler ate hir food because ze was hungry" is nonsensical and doesn't roll off the tongue, so instead use only the name as in "Tyler ate Tyler's food because Tyler was hungry"? It's within acceptable usage and isn't a slur.....

...........Yet that person could STILL get hauled to jail for not using the "right" pronoun.
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/18/17
amazing that people care so much.
33524 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/18/17

HateKillingCamels wrote:

amazing that people care so much.


Being thrown in the slammer for a year for would be the really amazing part (though "amazing" may not describe it)
12147 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/29/17
What Canadian law puts people in jail for misgendering? Oh right, there is none but people spin C-16 to pretend it means that. I'm so sick of that bullshit, C-16 put gender identity into the human rights code and banning discrimination on the basis of gender identity. That's nothing like "not using the right pronoun could put you in jail" and honestly, if you're going to misrepresent that bill so much, I don't trust you not to do the same for this new Californian one.
7538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The World That Wa...
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/22/17
What a load of 'female personal pronoun-neutral impersonal pronoun'
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/18/17
but what if we really don't know wtf lol
9736 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / London, England
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/18/17
Wait, this includes they/them? Glad I live in the UK
7538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The World That Wa...
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/27/17

eggrollsama wrote:

but what if we really don't know wtf lol


Then fuck them. Honestly that's their burden, not your responsibility. A law like this isn't only stupid because...well, look at it, it's FUCKING STUPID, but also it's pretty much shitting on freedom of speech. There are two fucking sexes, no more, no less. Nobody is born transgender, it is the transition from one sex to the other. That's not intolerance, that's basic human biology. I can accept transgender people without buying into this nonsense. You're not happy with how you are born and want to change that? Fine, that's your right, I accept this, none of business anyway. You want to dress up like a lamp, claim calling you anything but 'Your Brightnss' is offensive? Go fuck yourself, you special snowflake.
29207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/23/17
Anyone going to propose a better way of treating elderly people with gender dysphoria, or are we all supposed to post bitching and moaning about it?



Edit: Look at all the people getting triggered as fuck already.
32046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/23/17
It's nonsense to send people to jail for it i mean they are mean for refusing to call someone by what makes them confortable but jailing people for being rude? That's stupid as fuck.



Also look above people have 0 understanding

" There are two fucking sexes, no more, no less. Nobody is born transgender, it is the transition from one sex to the other. That's not intolerance, that's basic human biology. " No one ever said there was more then one sex and yes people are transgender from birth that's like saying someone isn't Autistic from birth or any other disorder that stems from the brain.

Another person acting like a "Special snowflake" and calling others one that's all that ever happens in these threads.
We need to respect eachother and not throw people in jail sure if it was a hate crime throwing them in jail is fine but refusing to treat someone with respect they deserve?

That just makes you a dickhead not a criminal jesus christ have people lost their minds.
7538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The World That Wa...
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/21/17

PrinceJudar wrote:

Anyone going to propose a better way of treating elderly people with gender dysphoria, or are we all supposed to post bitching and moaning about it?



Edit: Look at all the people getting triggered as fuck already.


How with proper existing pronouns? Regardless of your birth gender, if you identify as woman, who in their right mind would want to be referred to as zhit, zer or whatever? That's actually solves nothing and is no different to be be associated with male pronouns.
29207 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/23/17

Doom-Desire wrote:

How with proper existing pronouns? Regardless of your birth gender, if you identify as woman, who in their right mind would want to be referred to as zhit, zer or whatever? That's actually solves nothing and is no different to be be associated with male pronouns.


The bill says nothing about using words that don't exist. There's nothing going to enforce that. Pronouns refer to those that exist in the English language.

....You people really lose your heads about this stuff.

19441 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/18/17
Now it will be "He said-zhe shed" cases clogging the Justice System.

Yet another reason to #BoycottCalifornia. tease
28261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/27/17
..aaaaand cross Cali off my to go list. There are only 2 genders, period. Not gonna admit otherwise in order to go there.
7538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / The World That Wa...
Offline
Posted 8/18/17 , edited 8/23/17

PrinceJudar wrote:


Doom-Desire wrote:

How with proper existing pronouns? Regardless of your birth gender, if you identify as woman, who in their right mind would want to be referred to as zhit, zer or whatever? That's actually solves nothing and is no different to be be associated with male pronouns.


The bill says nothing about using words that don't exist. There's nothing going to enforce that. Pronouns refer to those that exist in the English language.

....You people really lose your heads about this stuff.



So, what's your point? It's perfectly ok because they're using words in the English dictionary? I don't see how that counts for anything, there are a lot of stupid words that have been accepted into the English language. 'Twerk'? 'Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious'? It's at least reassuring to know that nobody in this world identifies as the 'Mary Poppins' gender. Though I will concede you have a point that nobody is going to enforce that. Just like words there are loads of stupid laws out there as well. I think it's just the sheer audacity for someone to even conceive a bill that punishes the majority because some people got butthurt is what's riling people up.

Also for what it's worth this topic is people moaning about people moaning, so your non-chalant "Why is everyone moanining?" jab is the equivalent of going into a gay bar and sighing about everyone being a homo.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.