First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Guy breaks Christopher Columbus statue
81335 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Seattle
Online
Posted 8/21/17 , edited 8/22/17
Yeah.... this is happening... it is sad, and there is nothing we can do. Who was it who said "You can't cure stupid"?

I just realized the Viking monuments are next
4873 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 8/21/17 , edited 8/22/17
923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 8/21/17 , edited 8/22/17
One is tempted to ask if, besides replacing the vandalized Christopher Columbus statue, we might consider erecting 3 million more, one for every Arawak who died from 1494 to 1508. After all we wouldn't want to erase history.
Posted 8/21/17 , edited 8/22/17

uncletim wrote:

Fact are scary aren't they? Safer and easier to just dismiss them off hand as subversion Sad really you're acting just like what you condemn


Facts huh. When did he "mass murder" people? Even Francisco de Bobadilla's report on his "tyranny" failed to mention that. Last I checked, Europeans had yet to discover the germ theory at the time too, before you go on about small pox.


mittemeyer wrote:

One is tempted to ask if, besides replacing the vandalized Christopher Columbus statue, we might consider erecting 3 million more, one for every Arawak who died from 1494 to 1508. After all we wouldn't want to erase history.


Yes because they contributed so much to the discovery of the New World and humanity as a whole. How about 6 million more, one for every person they murdered and ate for war rituals?
923 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 8/21/17 , edited 8/22/17
Can I have a citation for the 6 million number?
67909 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / Glendale, AZ
Offline
Posted 8/21/17 , edited 8/22/17

Metazoxan wrote:

This is why I wasn't really happy when there was the big push to tear down the confederate statues.

yes some of them may have done bad things and been slave owners. But you don't just pretend every bad person in history didn't exist!

Also people need to stop acting like only bad people owned slaves. I mean it was the way things were back then and plenty of good people owned slaves for one reason or another. I'm not saying slavery is a good thing but that doesn't make everyone who was a part of the system bad. Some were just a product of their times.

Also not all confederates were interested in slavery. Another reason that started the civil war, and in many ways was actually the main reason, was the north was where the capital and industry was while the south was where the agriculture and such were. But because the money flows in industry more than farming the south was losing power to the north and this was leading to various political issues.

I won't go into them but the point is the south had more reason to break off than just protecting slavery. Now again this doesn't mean I think the south was right to try to break off. But people are trying to make it a war about slaves and then trying to bury it because even acknowledging slavery was a thing is offensive these days.


This. Let's not forgot that there was a sizable slave population in the North. I would imagine there were a lot of pro-slavery Northerners and a lot of anti-slaver Confederates. I may be going on a limb here, but there may have been some ex-slaves who preferred to slaves after the 1865 abolition* because they were adjusting to a new way of life. A lot of people might prefer an old way of life when adjusting to a new way of life.

*even though slavery was legally abolished then, the actual practice definitely continued. I liken it to the Prohibition. That is, while a practice may have been declared illegal, there were plenty of folks finding practicing, though often in secret.
Ejanss 
17175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/21/17 , edited 8/22/17

riverjustice wrote:

This video illustrates what's more to come: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFSW0id36FA

His notion that Christopher Columbus was the initial European's capitalistic invasion is complete trash. Back in those times the economic institutions were feudalism and mercantilism.

However, it wasn't his interest to begin with, it was imperialism.


And, Spain's interest in expanding Catholicism, by finding new missionary markets.
That's sort of what led to the whole "Indians because he thought he landed in India" myth we learned as kids in school.

(And since the Church's royal influence had very vested interests in Columbus's voyage, no, there's no record that the Inquisition ever picked on him for saying the world was round. That didn't appear until Nathaniel Hawthorne's version.)
55167 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Chapel Hill,NC
Offline
Posted 8/21/17 , edited 8/22/17
Not all Progressive's are violent people just like not all right wing uber-conservatives are not racist homophobic over religious zealots.
Some of us happen to know that the government needs downsizing but also know that the top 1% are not paying there fair share of taxes and that sheeple on both sides keep any real progress from being made because of the stupid two party system.
20208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/21/17 , edited 8/22/17

gamersglory wrote:

Not all Progressive's are violent people just like not all right wing uber-conservatives are not racist homophobic over religious zealots.
Some of us happen to know that the government needs downsizing but also know that the 1% are not paying there fair share of taxes and that sheeple on both sides keep any real progress from being made because of the stupid two party system.


Fair shair?

The average 1% annual income is around $400,000. They are taxed up to 40%. What exactly do you consider fair?
13332 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 8/22/17 , edited 8/22/17
Wow, maybe you people should reform your education system before anything else. Capitalism was invented centuries after the creation of USA. In fact the modern capitalism is a symptom of the Neoliberalism adopted by the country around the end of the second great war.

I'm also pretty sure Columbus didn't had a slave as he was a sailor and lastly his action didn't affect Africans at all, yes he did horrible things to native from Caribbean and central America, but none of his action reflect on the current situation African-american are at right now.
runec 
41978 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 8/22/17 , edited 8/22/17

riverjustice wrote:
Fair shair?

The average 1% annual income is around $400,000. They are taxed up to 40%. What exactly do you consider fair?


That's not the average, its the minimum. The average looks to be more in the range of 1-1.2 million and while the upper rate is 43% the effective rate on them is more like 22-23%. But that's before you get into things like capital gains/dividends taxes which are taxed at lower rates than other income.

Which a problem and why it was such a big deal when Bush put through cuts to capital gains taxes. If you already had a ton of money you could make even money at a lower tax rate. Hence the whole "rich get richer" problem.
20208 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 8/22/17 , edited 8/22/17

runec wrote:


That's not the average, its the minimum. The average looks to be more in the range of 1-1.2 million and while the upper rate is 43% the effective rate on them is more like 22-23%. But that's before you get into things like capital gains/dividends taxes which are taxed at lower rates than other income.

Which a problem and why it was such a big deal when Bush put through cuts to capital gains taxes. If you already had a ton of money you could make even money at a lower tax rate. Hence the whole "rich get richer" problem.


I don't really want to derail off subject. The calculation of the 1% is $400,000 (approximation) and not the minimum. If you go up to 0.9% than you increase the scale further. If you are talking about the whole mean of 1% then I would agree with you that it's between that number. If you are talking about net worth, assets minus liabilities, I will agree with you that it's in the range of 1-2 million.

When you say effective rate, I'm assuming you are talking tax-exempt bonds?

Capital gains tax is interesting. For instance I'll use a baseball card as an example. If you buy a baseball card today that is worth $5 and the next 50 years it's now worth $20,000, the government will tax it because it's worth more.

28261 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 8/22/17 , edited 8/22/17
People.. *rolls eyes*

This world will collapse under peoples stupidity.
2193 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / PA, USA
Offline
Posted 8/22/17 , edited 8/22/17
I'm thankful that US monuments don't date as far back as those in other parts of the world, because things like the Pyramids of Giza and Roman Colosseum would likely be on the chopping block. This is out of control. I hope they don't start destroying buildings next, but I won't hold my breathe.
10132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Palm Coast, Florida
Offline
Posted 8/22/17 , edited 8/22/17
Well, just goes to show where's this country's headed, we were already going down hill anyway.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.