Girls shows rank high in a Model Press reader survey dominated by 88% female respondents
If you're curious about what a mostly female audience of Japanese fans look for in their favorite anime, then look no further, because a recent reader survey by Model Press, a fashion and life-style website that aims at an audience of Japanese women between the ages of 18 - 45, asked nearly 1300 fans which anime series they'd must like to see re-broadcast on Japanese television.
The poll ran from May 01 - May 10, 2020, and featured some 1289 respondents, with 88% of the respondent pool identifying as female and the other 12% identifying as male. In descending order, the Top 20 results are:
- 20.) Magical Angel Creamy Mami (1983 - 1984) - Nippon TV
- 19.) Urusei Yatsura (1981 - 1986) - Fuji TV
- 18.) Aim for the Ace! (1973 - 1974) - TV Asahi
- 17.) Dr. Slump & Arale-chan (1981 - 1986) - Fuji TV
- 16.) The Prince of Tennis (2001 - 2005) - TV Tokyo
- 15.) Touch (1985 - 1987) - Fuji TV
- 14.) BLEACH (2004 - 2012) - TV Tokyo
- 13.) Kuroko's Basketball (2012 - 2015) - MBS・TOKYO MX
- 12.) KochiKame (1996 - 2004) - Fuji TV
- 11.) Pretty Cure (2004 - 2006) - TV Asahi
- 10.) Gintama (2006 - 2018) - TV Tokyo
- 09.) Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (2019) - TOKYO MX
- 08.) Ranma 1/2 (1989 - 1992) - Fuji TV
- 07.) Candy Candy (1976 - 1979) - TV Asahi
- 06.) Cardcaptor Sakura (1998 - 2000) - NHK
- 05.) Zatch Bell! (2003 - 2006) - Fuji TV
- 04.) Slam Dunk (1993 - 1996) - TV Asahi
- 03.) Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon series (1992 - 1997) - TV Asahi
- 02.) Inuyasha (2000 - 2004) - Yomiuri Telecasting Corporation
- 01.) Magical DoReMi series (1999 - 2003)
It's an interesting cross-section of genres and styles, ranging from sports shows (Slam Dunk, Touch) to fantasy adventure shows (Inuyasha, Demon Slayer) to magical girls shows (Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon). Anime based on manga by Rumiko Takahashi places high in the poll, as do series based on popular shonen offerings such as BLEACH and Gintama. Giant robot shows (and mecha in general) are conspicuously absent, as are other staples with a lot of cross-over appeal, such as Naruto and Death Note.
What do you think, folks? Do the readers of Model Press show impeccable taste in their favorite anime? Which series would you like to see in the Top 20? Let us know in the comments section below!
Source: Nico Nico News
Paul Chapman is the host of The Greatest Movie EVER! Podcast and GME! Anime Fun Time.